Recalled/Assigned: Niklas Svedberg

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Rare if they ever happen, but any chance a three-way deal occurs? Sveddy to Edmonton, something from St. Louis to Edmonton, Marincin to Boston? Haha...i'm dreaming.

Between Boston and St. Louis though...have to think a d-man is involved in some way. Bart probably. Caron may be a piece thrown in as well. But who the heck comes back? Where do the Bruins improve without paying too much? I just hope this isn't a reaction to Eriksson potentially being out long term. That would worry me. But just sptiballing right now. Glad to see something hopefully unfold.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Warsofsky was drafted by the Blues originally. Different management, but he still looked good in his brief call-up.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Could it be an established player like Adam McQuaid? Would only save a little cap space, but Kevan Miller seemed to assert himself enough to take over.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Could this just be a mini tryout for Sveddy to see how he does in the NHL?

I think this is likely what it is.

Despite Johnson's numbers, and his overall decent reliability he's brought to the table backing up Tuukka, i still don't really trust Chad.

Johnson has made some big stops in tight games... but he also seems to get lucky and the Bruins try harder playing team D because the B's very seldom leave Chad out to dry. I feel like his numbers/stats reflect a better goalie than what Johnson really is.

Not to sound like a hater -- he has been serviceable for sure -- but i feel like if you take away a couple lucky bounces that he had the fortune of going his way, Chad's record could easily be closer to .500 just saying.

Despite those occasional big stops here and there, he can be a rebound machine at times and he is remarkably slow getting to the opposite side post on wrap-around attempts.

His lateral post-to-post movement is opposite of fluid. As in, not even close to approaching Rask's post-to-post lateral movement. Chad needs to work on that and learn from Tuukka.

We'll see what Svedberg can do, i'm looking forward to it.

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
I think this is likely what it is.

Despite Johnson's numbers, and his overall decent reliability he's brought to the table backing up Tuukka, i still don't really trust Chad.

Johnson has made some big stops in tight games... but he also seems to get lucky and the Bruins try harder playing team D because the B's very seldom leave Chad out to dry. I feel like his numbers/stats reflect a better goalie than what Johnson really is.

Not to sound like a hater -- he has been serviceable for sure -- but i feel like if you take away a couple lucky bounces that he had the fortune of going his way, Chad's record could easily be closer to .500 just saying.

Despite those occasional big stops here and there, he can be a rebound machine at times and he is remarkably slow getting to the opposite side post on wrap-around attempts.

His lateral post-to-post movement is opposite of fluid. As in, not even close to approaching Rask's post-to-post lateral movement. Chad needs to work on that and learn from Tuukka.

We'll see what Svedberg can do, i'm looking forward to it.

I was at the game in Buffalo and Johnson was absolutely attrocious. His post-to-post movement was terrible, and he gave up more rebounds then I can remember seeing in a long time.

Bruins only had I believe 24 shots against but if their D hadn't clamped the slot it would have been far different as Johnson several times let the puck right back up the middle of the ice.

I'm excited to see what Svedberg can do as after seeing Johnson in person I have very little faith in his ability to provide Tuukka with some needed games off.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So what do you make of this Svedberg call up then if it's not related to Bruins/Blues? A separate trade? The Bruins just plain not trusting of Johnson?

Have to take CJ at his word: They promised him a look, and this is it. There is nothing to indicate that it is anything more then that. A few "easy" games coming up here seems like a good time

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Have to take CJ at his word: They promised him a look, and this is it. There is nothing to indicate that it is anything more then that. A few "easy" games coming up here seems like a good time

Also gives Tukka and extended break. Which could pay a little dividends with the olympics coming up soon.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Was looking at http://www.providencebruins.com/Schedule/Index/2013/12/ which shows away games - shows nothing between Worc last night and Worc on 1/3.

Is their site that bogus that they skip three games in a row?

Looked at AHL and saw Adirondack, springfield, manchester like you said,.

makes the move more curious.

The P-Bruins web site is a disgrace. They use it for selling tickets and not much else.

I gave up on it a long time ago.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
The P-Bruins web site is a disgrace. They use it for selling tickets and not much else.

I gave up on it a long time ago.

Agreed. I don't know why they don't pay more attention to it. Could actually help those ticket sales a touch if it was useful at all

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock

Also got to think they want to see what he can do at the NHL level since he's on the last year of his contract. He could earn himself the #2 spot to Rask next season if he plays well.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
He cleanly outplayed Johnson in preseason --Johnson has gotten a bunch of softball starts and has done well, but Svedberg more than deserves this opportunity.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I think it is just a look for now.

This is a good situation to get Svedberg NHL starts. Johnson isn't a prospect and he's on a one year deal, so there's no need to play him other than when they want to rest Rask and/or play Svedberg in Providence.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Not sure but reading the Blues forums there seems to be a consensus that Berglund needs a change of scenery. Cole, one of their higher rated D prospects is getting ice time right now but once everyone is healthy, he'll be in the box again. Doesn't seem to be a spot for him (a few years now).

BigBadBruins63*

Not sure but reading the Blues forums there seems to be a consensus that Berglund needs a change of scenery. Cole, one of their higher rated D prospects is getting ice time right now but once everyone is healthy, he'll be in the box again. Doesn't seem to be a spot for him (a few years now).

Berglund would be a nice add for the 3rd line but, when we already have Spooner and Kelly, i would say we don't really need him.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Berglund would be a nice add for the 3rd line but, when we already have Spooner and Kelly, i would say we don't really need him.

Right but Berglund can play both center and wing.

Who knows. Interesting to say the least.

If Caron (not saying he is; just repeating what others are speculating) is on the block he would be Hitchcock's kind of player.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Chiarelli also announced that the team has recalled defenseman Zach Trotman from Providence on an emergency basis and assigned goaltender Niklas Svedberg to Providence. Trotman will join the team in Ottawa Saturday and be eligible to play in Saturday night's game.

He's back in Providence? So WTF was this all about?!

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
He was slated to start tonight until the Seidenberg injury, right? Which is interesting, to me, that Johnson didn't get the start after the move to get Trotman up. Very strange situation.

And that said, with the Seidenberg injury you wonder if any trade ideas may have changed a bit, if they were looking to move a D-man (along with a goalie) are those plans out the window losing their #2 guy?

Team depth is insane, seeing a guy like Trotman step up, along with Miller and Bart and Warsofsky, and look competent right off the bat, they really have something good going here even without some top players like Loui and Seidenberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad