Rumor: Nikitin to Avangard Omsk?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I still don't understand what stops him from just going to the KHL. It sounds like he'll still get paid if he goes, so why not just go?

$$4.5M is stopping him from just going there without an OK from Oilers.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If they're negotiating, it is likely over what percentage of his salary Omsk will pay.

Even though there would be no effect on cap space, it still saves Katz real money.

Hope they can come to an agreement and the organization can get rid of him.

Elric

May 1, 2015
In Wheat
Players cannot be sent down to the ECHL without their permission as per section 13.2 of the CBA.

We maintain the same cap hit if he is loaned to a European team minus the 950k savings we would have if he were in the minors.

If his team in Russia say wants to pay him 1 Million, we could negotiate they pay 1M of his 4.5M salary saving us real money.

We could also outright deny his request for assignment to the KHL and play chicken hoping he just says screw it I want to leave, at which point not reporting to the AHL would be a breach of his contract and would result in termination.

They could also mutually agree to part ways nothing owing including cap hit.

He could also play in the AHL.

That is a run down of all options.

Yup, end thread.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
What if Omsk offered 5 mil over 2 years? No one here will offer him anything with term.

Takes 2.5 off what the oil need to pay him, and he still gets paid.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
What if Omsk offered 5 mil over 2 years? No one here will offer him anything with term.

Why would Omsk do that if they could potentially get him on a cheaper 1 year contract on loan, assess whether he's a fit, and then get him on a cheaper contract next offseason?

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

Or the Oilers say no we want you in the AHL.
Nikitin says forget that, doesn't report and plays in the KHL, thus terminating his NHL contract.
We walk away free and clear. No Nikitin, no buy out penalty, footloose and fancy free.
Wouldn't that be great?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nikitin says forget that, doesn't report and plays in the KHL, thus terminating his NHL contract.
We walk away free and clear. No Nikitin, no buy out penalty, footloose and fancy free.
Wouldn't that be great?

I think this is why we are pretending to want him, although that is just Gregor at this point. If we say we want him then there is a chance that he does walk away giving us the option to just terminate him. If we were to just say ya lets get something figured out with Omsk, then you lose leverage on saving actual dollars.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Isn't it funny how just one year ago, we all thought this guy was going to be a big part of the Oilers D-core for years to come, and now he can't fall of the face of the Earth fast enough?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Wouldn't that be great?

Dont think KHL would want to go that route.
picking up players who are walking away from NHL commitments and contracts.

would be great for Oilers though..

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Would this ever be possible?

He's getting paid 4.5 mil right? To ride the bus in Cali. What if he thinks he would prefer just getting paid 2-3 mil to go play in his hometown instead. Sure he's leaving 1-2 mil on the table this year I guess, but the difference must be huge mentally. Getting to be back home.

If we send him down and play hardball, telling him he has to stay, maybe he would terminate his contract and sign with his Russian club instead?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

He's getting paid 4.5 mil right? To ride the bus in Cali. What if he thinks he would prefer just getting paid 2-3 mil to go play in his hometown instead. Sure he's leaving 1-2 mil on the table this year I guess, but the difference must be huge mentally. Getting to be back home.

If we send him down and play hardball, telling him he has to stay, maybe he would terminate his contract and sign with his Russian club instead?

no way is he leaving anything on the table, playing in California and rising a bus for a year is well worth a million or two.

The problem is not going away easily, what will probably happen is that Omsk will pay a small part of his salary and he will got there to finish out his deal. Omsk could offer to pay $500,000 or less if they like and really should not be offering much more. They will get a familiar player on the cheap, the oilers will get a wee bit of salary relief and he will be out of our hair.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Isn't it funny how just one year ago, we all thought this guy was going to be a big part of the Oilers D-core for years to come, and now he can't fall of the face of the Earth fast enough?

I can't remember many posters on this board who liked the deal (much less liked giving up a pick for his negotiating right). IIRC, picking up Nikitin was almost universally panned around here.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

I don't recall anyone thinking that. It was a two year stopgap.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Dont think KHL would want to go that route.
picking up players who are walking away from NHL commitments and contracts.

would be great for Oilers though..

I can't see it either. I just want it to happen.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

It's possible. Unlikely, but possible. That's the stance we should take.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

What I remember is most people not being able to wrap their heads around the idea that it was a good thing to offer that kind of money to a player that became a healthy scratch for Nick Schultz. There were the usual posters on here who give a standing ovation to any move the Oilers make but it wasn't a move most were excited about.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
At least we can send MacT to Omsk to scout how Nikitin is doing 3 or 4 times a year.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
What I remember is most people not being able to wrap their heads around the idea that it was a good thing to offer that kind of money to a player that became a healthy scratch for Nick Schultz. There were the usual posters on here who give a standing ovation to any move the Oilers make but it wasn't a move most were excited about.

Pretty much. I remember the majority being unhappy with the deal, both the trade and the signing. I was not happy with the price, but was okay with the term on the contract. Of course, I had hoped he would come in hungry to prove his worth, and not be, well, Nikita Nikitin as we know him.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I remember hating the dollar amount, but he looked good when he was good. Then he started being bad often

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

All of us? lol

Few people thought this was a good deal.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

How much mental difficulty would it take for you to give you 1-2 million US dollars, especially when you don't know what's going to happen with the Russian rubel? Hell I'd happily live in Omsk for a year without a clue how to speak Russian for that money haha

I could actually that being a bit of a sticking point, I can't see Omsk being willing to pay in increments for Nikitin as the year goes on, risking the rubel falling further. Rather they'd pay a lump sum. If I remember correctly they're one of the richer clubs, but still coming up with say 2 million as a single payment could be a bit of a b****h for r them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad