Recalled/Assigned: Nikitin recalled

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Is it even possible that we could be trying to showcase him?

how many contracts are we allowed to retain salary on? I thought it was three. I would think we would need to retain on all three of Nikitin, Schultz and Purcell. We are currently retaining on Scrivens though.

How exactly do you showcase Nikitin? heheh

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The good news is now we don't have to see Gryba take 2 holding penalties a game.

The bad news is now we have to see Nikitin take 2 hooking penalties a game.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
How exactly do you showcase Nikitin? heheh

I know you are joking (as you should cuz he sucks) but there is a way to do it. He plays on the bottom pairing and given PP time to use his slap shot. Maybe PK time as well (I vaguely recall him being okay on that).

And really, as of today exactly zero teams would take him under any circumstance. We have scouts looking at our team now. He might get a hot streak, or just be lucky enough and look good. He might play his heart out just to be noticed.

The main focus of our team right now should be to prepare for the trade deadline.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
oZwtu5h.gif

lol. cracks me up every time.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I know you are joking (as you should cuz he sucks) but there is a way to do it. He plays on the bottom pairing and given PP time to use his slap shot. Maybe PK time as well (I vaguely recall him being okay on that).

And really, as of today exactly zero teams would take him under any circumstance. We have scouts looking at our team now. He might get a hot streak, or just be lucky enough and look good. He might play his heart out just to be noticed.

The main focus of our team right now should be to prepare for the trade deadline.

How is it possible that a GM actually gave him a 4.5 mil contract and a 3rd round pick (I think 3rd round to negotiate, since he was a hot commodity). Man he was bad at his job. Sorry for derail.

I'm not sure it matters what he does while being up, very team in the league knows of him and I'm pretty sure Oilers would have kept all his salary to move him for any kind of pick, considering he is done at year end anyway.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
How is it possible that a GM actually gave him a 4.5 mil contract and a 3rd round pick (I think 3rd round to negotiate, since he was a hot commodity). Man he was bad at his job. Sorry for derail.

I'm not sure it matters what he does while being up, very team in the league knows of him and I'm pretty sure Oilers would have kept all his salary to move him for any kind of pick, considering he is done at year end anyway.

It was a 5th round pick and it was actually the 5th rd pick we got for trading Nick Schultz to them (who played a grand total of 11 games in Columbus). I suspect we are going to play Clendening as we haven't given him much of a shot to prove himself here, can't say I was overly impressed in his 2 games, but this should be his window of opportunity and Nikitin sitting in the pressbox is better than a prospect from the AHL who needs to continue developing sitting in the pressbox.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Musil is pretty well at the point where it's fish or cut bait with him as a NHLer IMO. Oesterle is still to weak physically. I would rather see LaLeggia up for a few games than enjoy the viewing experience that is Nikita Nikitin.

i swear this franchise is insane! just what in the hell has this management got to lose by bringing up LaLeggia, Musil or Oesterle? we are in no way still in the playoff run and the season has been flushed again take a chance....jeez!! :facepalm: :shakehead

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
i swear this franchise is insane! just what in the hell has this management got to lose by bringing up LaLeggia, Musil or Oesterle? we are in no way still in the playoff run and the season has been flushed again take a chance....jeez!! :facepalm: :shakehead

Agreed. This call up is weird. We are clearly done trying for the playoffs, Nikitin was beyond bad in his last call up, so why not look at some youth? I'm starting to really question our GM with another strange move.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Nikitin has been playing third pairing minutes mostly down in Bakersfield. Primarily because they don't want him to steal development minutes from the others, but also because he sucks.

At least Nikitin is marginally better on the PP compared to Schultz.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Agreed. This call up is weird. We are clearly done trying for the playoffs, Nikitin was beyond bad in his last call up, so why not look at some youth? I'm starting to really question our GM with another strange move.

I agree, but let's just see what happens after the deadline. We will be giving minutes to our impending UFAs (Schultz included). If (and probably when) Nikitin isn't picked up, he'll probably get sent back down or maybe he'll go to Russia.

Impending UFAs have a lot of value, especially if we retain salary. Teams want cap space in the summer. They like that the deal is expiring, and there will be a lot more buyers than sellers this deadline.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This is Nikitin's last chance to make a good impression to land an NHL contract in the off-season.
If he stinks we can all feel a sigh of relief knowing that he can go out in humiliation.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Pretty sad that they are giving this sad sack another chance instead of bringing up a player who could potentially have a future here if nothing else to see how they manage playing an actual NHL game.

Hongolia

Jul 1, 2006
Who's bright idea was it to make this guy the 47th highest paid defenseman in the NHL? Was it the same people who made Justin Schultz the 77th highest paid? Good thing we brought in a real GM and fired the people who made these terrible decisions, right?

F my life. Being an Oilers fan sucks. We don't even deserve McDavid.

So we do have a top 2 defensemen!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I was kinda wondering last night when Rishaug and Gregor were talking if Nikitin would come up. They have Clendening, but might want a vet who has been a good leader down in Bakersfield.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pretty sad that they are giving this sad sack another chance instead of bringing up a player who could potentially have a future here if nothing else to see how they manage playing an actual NHL game.

None of those future guys are ready though. Do we really need another rookie struggling?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad