Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has Requested a Trade from Toronto Pt. 2

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Well sure, but why would Dubas add a big sweetener or take a big loss on the trade?

That’s not what was said at all on the 4 minute clip on the front page. is adding his/her own spin to things.

He says multiple teams have inquired about Z. He says that the word on the street is Holland will move a D and that he wanted Z when he came over.

Andi says she thinks the leafs need a D back who can play. Dreger says it might be a bigger deal with a sweetener added to Z to get a defenseman back.

The poster is editorializing

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
4.5 million in cap for a top 4rd is not that expensive dude. It’ll be cheap in a couple years.

Zaitsev is 61st among defencemen in terms of cap hit as of today. He's not being paid like some run of the mill #4, he's being paid like he's a borderline top pairing guy. Even if a team did think he was a #4 defenceman and liked the looks of him long term, that's a steep premium to be paying.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
That’s not what was said at all on the 4 minute clip on the front page. is adding his/her own spin to things.

He says multiple teams have inquired about Z. He says that the word on the street is Holland will move a D and that he wanted Z when he came over.

Andi says she thinks the leafs need a D back who can play. Dreger says it might be a bigger deal with a sweetener added to Z to get a defenseman back.

The poster is editorializing
Ah...makes more sense then.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Nothing specific, no. Just mentioned that teams "had concerns" about Zaitsev's play last year and wanted a sweetener with him. Whether that's to take him outright with no cap going back, or what that might be, who knows.

That’s not what was said on the 4 minute clip on TSN.

Post the clip and timestamp so we can lol here it please?

Rules are rules

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
Because otherwise it will be very hard to get rid off him?
And it is first and foremost in the interest of the Leafs to clear that ugly contract IMO...

Not at the expense of losing a RHD and not being able to replace him.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
The problem is the contract more than the player. Had Zaitsev been UFA in a year they'd have no problems dealing him, but 5 years and a modified NTC is infinitely harder to move, not to mention if his play is deteriorating.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Zaitsev is 61st among defencemen in terms of cap hit as of today. He's not being paid like some run of the mill #4, he's being paid like he's a borderline top pairing guy. Even if a team did think he was a #4 defenceman and liked the looks of him long term, that's a steep premium to be paying.
Leafs have been using him as a borderline top pairing guy.

I would not trade zaitsev for Braun straight up. We need the cap space, sure. But we need RD as well, and they all cost.

Plus Zaitsev is the better player.

Reactions: Duffman955

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
FTR, I am pretty sure the Zaitsev reference by Dreger was in regards to netting another defenseman... As in, if we wanted to get the type of defenseman we want in return, we would have to add Brown or Kapanen.

Nobody from TSN is suggesting we have to dump Zaitsev. They said at worst it would be a soft return, and based on what Braun just received in a trade, even that would be underselling what Zaitsev is worth right now.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Are people forgetting that Zaitsev is our only RHD at the moment? I mean we'd need to replace him...and add 2 more. So while i hate the term, 4.5 isn't horrible...

Well its horrible IMO. And are you forgetting that the thread title says "Zaitsev has requested a trade"..
So that certainly won't help. Don't think he will just happily return to Toronto in autumn (not that he has a choice but still).
Toronto will have to go for RHDs regardless. Zaitsev or no Zaitsev does not even make that much of a difference in that regard. Dubas will move some of the surplus he has on forward to adress his backend. Getting rid of Zaitsev will only make it easier because it gives him flexibility with the cap.
I also fully expect Hainsey to be back with Toronto personally.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
The problem is the contract more than the player. Had Zaitsev been UFA in a year they'd have no problems dealing him, but 5 years and a modified NTC is infinitely harder to move, not to mention if his play is deteriorating.
His play is not deteriorating. He’s been playing his best hockey since muzzin came over.

If Zaitsev were a UFA some team would sign him for 4.5 mill for 5 years easily.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
There could be another clip that I’m not aware of.

Ask the poster to post the quote or radio hit. The one on the front page is very different than what @ChaoticOrange is spinning it to be

That is the only clip I've heard from Dreger. It was Zaitsev + sweetner to get a defenseman who is likely of better quality, which makes sense.

I haven't heard anyone say that we need to add to get rid of his salary. At the very beginning it was 'soft deal' from TSN but legit return from pretty much everyone else, including SN.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
That is the only clip I've heard from Dreger. It was Zaitsev + sweetner to get a defenseman who is likely of better quality, which makes sense.

I haven't heard anyone say that we need to add to get rid of his salary. At the very beginning it was 'soft deal' from TSN but legit return from pretty much everyone else, including SN.

Ask chaotic orange produce the quote... I would like to hear it if there is something else.......

He won’t respond to me as he incorrectly refused to believe that CJ had talked about Larson and demanded that I timestamp the video after the fact so I don’t think he will respond to me.

But I legit would like to hear it

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

His best games of his career have been the stretch drive and playoffs

Reactions: Duffman955

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad