Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has Requested a Trade from Toronto Pt. 2

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Shhhhhhh

As Dubas said, it’s not a “we have to trade him scenario” and he’s “a top 4 d-man, signed reasonably for a long-term”

That’s not Dubas pumping him up, it’s the truth!

He’s not a top 4 defenceman. He’s another Gudbranson on a worse contract. Hard, hard pass.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
With the Dermott injury and a blue line that will probably be without one of it's higher minutes players (in Gardiner) come the fall, I can't see the Leafs moving Zaitsev at this point given the holes on their blueline.

They weren't going to deal him this offseason before his made his request despite fans wanting them to.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I can see him being dealt at the draft

If Zaitsev does get moved I don't see him being traded until after his 3 million dollar bonus is paid by the Leafs on July 1st. A 3 million dollar upfront payment is nothing to the Leafs and other rich teams but is a fair amount for some teams to absorb all at once.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
As of today, it has come out via Bruce Garrioch that the Senators are not buying Condon out. This makes me wonder if the Senators have a trade lined up with another team taking on Condon's salary. If the Senators are waiting for July 1st so that a team could pay a signing bonus before sending them a player for Condon, that would make sense. I'm not sure why else they would do such a 180 on buying Condon out when it saves them 1 million over the lifetime of the contract.

Condon has a very high salary to cap ratio. His cap hit when buried is 1.4 million, but his salary is 3 million. This makes him a very useful piece in a salary vs cap type deal.

Maybe he will be part of a Zaitsev trade to Ottawa.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
There is no such thing as a problem free player. If you think there is, you are drinking coolaid from other fan bases. Every D makes mistakes.
You've never heard of Robert Gordon Orr

But to be fair.... let's not act like I was saying every Dman in the NHL should be perfect. There are varying degrees to a risk/reward Dman, and as I clearly stated... He's on the negative side of that one.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Dreger saying on TSN1050 this morning that teams are concerned about Zaitsev’s play last season and want a sweetener to take him.
More Zaitsev info
https://www.tsn.ca/trade-bait-jets-exploring-ehlers-trade-options-1.1324471
Zaitsev, 27, requested a trade from Toronto and GM Kyle Dubas acknowledged earlier this month the team is working toward satisfying it.
Zaitsev might not be the sexy name at No. 1. But even with five years remaining on his deal at $4.5 million – and a limited no-trade clause set to kick in on July 1 – there has not been a shortage of teams calling about the Russian-born defenceman who burst onto the scene in 2016-17 with a 36-point campaign. Cost certainty is a valuable commodity in the salary cap world.
The Vancouver Canucks are among the teams who have expressed interest in Zaitsev.
Jim Benning and the Canucks are believed to be involved in anything and everything to try and improve their defence, particularly with Alex Edler expected to move on in free agency. From Zaitsev to Trouba to potentially Tyler Myers in free agency, they are hoping to make a splash – even if it costs them their first-round pick (10th overall) to do it in front of their fans on Friday night as draft hosts.

Reactions: WillyNy

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Dreger saying on TSN1050 this morning that teams are concerned about Zaitsev’s play last season and want a sweetener to take him.

Last season?!

They should be concerned looking at the season before that as well lol.

Zaitsev is a bottom pairing Dman, at least the way Babcock wants him to play.

Lou should clean up this mess and take him from us lol.

Reactions: Joel Ward

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Zaitsev for Lucic. Zaitsev for Eriksson. Zaitsev for Perry.

I think the only teams interested in Zaitsev are the ones above and similar, who are looking to dump a bad, long term contract, in hopes that Zaitsev's isn't as bad long term, or can be a cheaper buy out option down the road.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Zaitsev for Lucic. Zaitsev for Eriksson. Zaitsev for Perry.

I think the only teams interested in Zaitsev are the ones above and similar, who are looking to dump a bad, long term contract, in hopes that Zaitsev's isn't as bad long term, or can be a cheaper buy out option down the road.

Leafs aren't trading for a NMC.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Last season?!

They should be concerned looking at the season before that as well lol.

Zaitsev is a bottom pairing Dman, at least the way Babcock wants him to play.

Lou should clean up this mess and take him from us lol.

Babcock changed him from a puck mover to a shutdown guy, and was his goto match-up dman last year.
considering the way he was used, he did better than expected.

I've really soured on Babcock ...maybe Commodore is correct in his assessment of Babs

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
So did that Philly trade just set the bar for the potential return on Zaitsev? How far off of Brauns value is he?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
if they are forced to trade zaitsev they probably are not getting a player they want.
How can they be forced? The player asked for a trade, Dubas will try to honor that....but not at a big loss for the team. Zaitsev signed a contract...so he can't force anything, if he really wants out, he can walk away from his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad