Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has Requested a Trade from Toronto Pt. 2

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So did that Philly trade just set the bar for the potential return on Zaitsev? How far off of Brauns value is he?

Braun didn't ask to be moved and only has a year left rather than five.

I'd be sincerely surprised if Zaitsev returned anything close to that... Dreger saying this morning that teams want sweeteners to take Zaitsev.

Reactions: Deku

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
How can they be forced? The player asked for a trade, Dubas will try to honor that....but not at a big loss for the team. Zaitsev signed a contract...so he can't force anything, if he really wants out, he can walk away from his contract.
I think you might be taking things a little too literally. Even if they put a loaded gun to Dubas' head, he's technically not forced to do anything.

The point is, The Leafs are in a position where trading him is in everyone's interest; probable that he's not a Leaf next year.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think you might be taking things a little too literally. Even if they put a loaded gun to Dubas' head, he's technically not forced to do anything.

The point is, The Leafs are in a position where trading him is in everyone's interest; probable that he's not a Leaf next year.
Well sure, but why would Dubas add a big sweetener or take a big loss on the trade?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

I'd be sincerely surprised if Zaitsev returned anything close to that... Dreger saying this morning that teams want sweeteners to take Zaitsev.
So he stays....life goes on.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Well sure, but why would Dubas add a big sweetener or take a big loss on the trade?

Because otherwise it will be very hard to get rid off him?
And it is first and foremost in the interest of the Leafs to clear that ugly contract IMO...

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010

Did he say what the sweetener would be? Sweetener seems kind of vague. Are we talking like a 3rd Rd pick

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That is no secret to anyone that isn't in Leafs Nation glad Dreger finally admitted it.

Worst kept secret in hockey right now. It's really, really hard to get a team to agree to take on 4.5 million in cap long term especially when you don't want to take any back. Most teams don't know what they'll look like two years from now outside of a handful of guys, never mind five.

Hell LA allegedly didn't want to take Marleau without sending cap back and that's just one year.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Because otherwise it will be very hard to get rid off him?
And it is first and foremost in the interest of the Leafs to clear that ugly contract IMO...
Are people forgetting that Zaitsev is our only RHD at the moment? I mean we'd need to replace him...and add 2 more. So while i hate the term, 4.5 isn't horrible...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Did he say what the sweetener would be? Sweetener seems kind of vague. Are we talking like a 3rd Rd pick

Nothing specific, no. Just mentioned that teams "had concerns" about Zaitsev's play last year and wanted a sweetener with him. Whether that's to take him outright with no cap going back, or what that might be, who knows.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Worst kept secret in hockey right now. It's really, really hard to get a team to agree to take on 4.5 million in cap long term especially when you don't want to take any back. Most teams don't know what they'll look like two years from now outside of a handful of guys, never mind five.

Hell LA allegedly didn't want to take Marleau without sending cap back and that's just one year.
4.5 million in cap for a top 4rd is not that expensive dude. It’ll be cheap in a couple years.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
How can they be forced? The player asked for a trade, Dubas will try to honor that....but not at a big loss for the team. Zaitsev signed a contract...so he can't force anything, if he really wants out, he can walk away from his contract.

Zaitsev only gives up his money if he goes back to the KHL, where his contract comes off the Leafs books.

He isn't getting the same money back home

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Dreger has no clue what he’s talking about. Zaitsev’s better then Braun... who was also a cap dump.

No disrespect bro. Braun is and always has been better than Zaitsev since he came over from Russia. Better contract to boot. San Jose fans straight up tell you Braun is a good player but they're happ to have acquired the pick to clear room. Zaitsev has potential but he has much to prove.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Zaitsev only gives up his money if he goes back to the KHL, where his contract comes off the Leafs books.

He isn't getting the same money back home
Well ya, that's my point...he can't force Dubas to lose a trade just to move him.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
No disrespect bro. Braun is and always has been better than Zaitsev since he came over from Russia. Better contract to boot. San Jose fans straight up tell you Braun is a good player but they're happ to have acquired the pick to clear room. Zaitsev has potential but he has much to prove.
False

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad