Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Spot on. Game 1 pretty much confirmed this.

They need to find a way to get both Zadorov and Joshua signed. It'll cost them an arm and a leg to move Michekeyev but maybe you can find a suiter in Chicago or SJS (if they get Celebrini and they just need bodies)
Gonna take more than unloading Mikheyev

We have OEL at 4m cap hit soon.

Unless if you sign Lindholm for 7x7 and trade Petey lol.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

We still need to allocate some dollars to D. Assuming we sign Hronek, we only have Hughes and Soucey under contract for more than $900K.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

the cap going up will take care of the OEL at 4M. just mean that when that cap hit kicks in, we'll need to be icing ELC. If Raty and Lekk comes in then we should be fine.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
there was one scrum in front of demko right before the suter goal where zaddy just casually smushed forsberg into the blue paint with one hand like he was putting out a cigarette

my pie in the sky scenario is locking him up at $4 mill AAV by giving him crazy term. six years could maybe get it done? love him as an overqualified #5 but don’t love potentially paying him #3 dollars, which he can probably get from multiple teams.
Best part about that scrum is that not a single Pred did anything about it, including Forsberg himself.

Reactions: David71

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
there was one scrum in front of demko right before the suter goal where zaddy just casually smushed forsberg into the blue paint with one hand like he was putting out a cigarette

my pie in the sky scenario is locking him up at $4 mill AAV by giving him crazy term. six years could maybe get it done? love him as an overqualified #5 but don’t love potentially paying him #3 dollars, which he can probably get from multiple teams.
My ideal scenario would be locking up both him and Joshua to pretty much identical contracts. 6~ years at 4~mil AAV

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Way too earlier to jump to any conclusions on Zadorov. He's a pretty high risk / high event defender, and when he's on, he's great, no question. However, people may feel quite a bit differently if/when he takes a risk that ends up costing the Canucks the game.

With that said, his physical play is great and I agree that the Canucks really can't afford to lose him and/or Joshua.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Zadorov and Lindholm were kind of polarizing acquisitions by the Canucks, particularly when their performances were a little erratic in the last one-third of the schedule.

But we witnessed first hand last night why the Canucks blew the wad in trading for them. Without them, the Canucks were still a good team. But would they have been the same threat for a long playoff run? Not likely.

As for their contract futures, who knows? They might both be priced out of the Canucks reach. But as for now, they're critical pieces moving forward.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
But I thought Zadorov was a bum?

(They can resign both Zadorov and Lindholm if they prioritize them over less players of which there are many but who's counting).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Zadorov and Lindholm were kind of polarizing acquisitions by the Canucks, particularly when their performances were a little erratic in the last one-third of the schedule.
How was Zadorov’s acquisition polarizing? I seem to recall that it was very well received by pretty much everyone here.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
How was Zadorov’s acquisition polarizing? I seem to recall that it was very well received by pretty much everyone here.
The cry out of TO was heard all the way to Victoria. Wailing about how they were trying so hard to get Zadorov.

Reactions: F A N

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
You need players like this in the playoffs. You needed the Keslers, the Bieksas, the Burrows. The dudes who dont back down to anyone.

You can't have an entire team of Sedins and Petterssons.

A lot of the playoffs is mentality.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
You need players like this in the playoffs. You needed the Keslers, the Bieksas, the Burrows. The dudes who dont back down to anyone.

You can't have an entire team of Sedins and Petterssons.

A lot of the playoffs is mentality.
Probably not true anymore but to a lot of Euros playing in the NHL the Worlds and Olympics are more important than the Cup.
That's not saying ALL.

Mentality, you bet, they really really want to have it more than the other team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Other than Hughes, who's basically on a different planet, Zadorov has been their best d-man. If they don't re-sign him, is there any chance they can anybody better on the UFA market?

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Zadorov is a difference maker in the easy season and in the real season. If anything he has stepped up his game.
6 mil for 7 years depending upon clauses.
The team and market should not have any issues with that. He is pretty durable too.

Notice how scrums dissolve when he gets close?

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Zads 5 million looks much better than Hroneks 8.

I liked Zadorov and then saw his after hours interview after the big win against the Flames. His intelligence, cockiness, and style made me a immediate fan of his. With his exceptional play in the playoffs, his feistyness, leadership. I become to love the big Z as a Canuck. Would love to see him signed longterm forsure. He is the ultimate leader on this team and a excellent teammate. A intimidating presence for the opposition.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Zadorov has absolutely earned his money and I would love to re-sign him.

I also think that it's possible that he doesn't retain this level of play and we'll feel like we slightly overpaid him.

But I think you take that chance and keep him, he offers so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad