Nikita Zadorov

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm just frustrated with what we've done with the team since our 2013/14 season. I hope Z can become a Foote 2.0 or EJ 2.0, but I am just utterly disappointed with the team Zads included.

What were you expecting from a 21 yr old just out of the AHL dman? Z is going to have consistency issues just like any other young dman. I think Z has played more good than bad games this yr thats for sure and hes had games where he was our best dman. Patience ya'll

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Welllllll Footer was a pretty damned smart d-man. It's funny, back in the early days of the Avs I thought he was little more than a meathead. But he was a far more complete player than I gave him credit for.

I don't think Zads has Foote's hockey sense, but I think he's got better physical tools (obviously he's much bigger, but also IMO a better puckhandler and shooter, I suppose skating-wise they're probably equal all things considered).

I think he will always be a bit high-risk/high-reward. He'll do some things out there that'll drive you nuts but make up for it with some big hits, stops, and the very occasional goal. He's just gotta be more consistent and work on his confidence, but given what he's shown at age 21 there's plenty of reason for optimism.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
How can anyone be disappointed in a 21 year old defenseman who has faced the toughest competition on the team, in terms of CF%? Blows my mind. He's getting put in some tough spots out there and handling himself pretty well.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
How can anyone be disappointed in a 21 year old defenseman who has faced the toughest competition on the team, in terms of CF%? Blows my mind. He's getting put in some tough spots out there and handling himself pretty well.

I'm not too sure how people can be down on the kid already either. He's had some rough patches, but he's doing quite well all things considered. They are giving him limited minutes, but they are tough defensive minutes against the oppositions best players and with high defensive zone starts. It's not like they are spoon feeding him offensive minutes and line matching him against the other teams third/fourth lines.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He was traded for ROR, he went to the AHL, he's Russian, Buffalo ruined his reputation, he hasn't scored s goal in an Avs sweater and he isn't Hedman at 21 is why people are down on him.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He was traded for ROR, he went to the AHL, he's Russian, Buffalo ruined his reputation, he hasn't scored s goal in an Avs sweater and he isn't Hedman at 21 is why people are down on him.

Hedman was a trainwreck early on, I remember him getting violated over and over again in games I saw him play, especially with Tre Kronor.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
The only thing that at times has frustrated with me with Zadorov is that when he has some time and space with the puck on his own end, he makes a a bad pass up ice. I've seen it a couple times. I'm not worried about it, it's just odd to me. Surely, he's capable of making that pass.

Other than that, Zadorov has been great defensively. He's a rock in his own end and defending the rush he's been fantastic. Way more positives than negatives with this kid. Let's give him some time, of course he'll be inconsistent at time but we've seen some great things with him. When he gets more comfortable and starts rushing the puck more and unleashing that cannon on the point, we'll be thrilled.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I actually think Zadorov is the only defenceman on the Avs who can consistently make a pass onto the tape of a moving forward.

EJ passes way too hard so the forward always bobbles it, and Barrie sauces it 5 feet in front of them.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
I actually think Zadorov is the only defenceman on the Avs who can consistently make a pass onto the tape of a moving forward.

EJ passes way too hard so the forward always bobbles it, and Barrie sauces it 5 feet in front of them.

While you are bang on about EJ and Barrie, Zadorov is a victim as well. I guess no one can pass :cry:

Actually, this is a strength of Bigras'. Cannot wait for him to be on the team.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
While you are bang on about EJ and Barrie, Zadorov is a victim as well. I guess no one can pass :cry:

Actually, this is a strength of Bigras'. Cannot wait for him to be on the team.
Interesting, in transition I believe he is good at crisp short passes. Stepping out behind the net though, he occasionally ices it or turns it over.

I think Bigras will be with the Avs as soon as he is fully healthy, and they can find a taker for Gelinas.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Interesting, in transition I believe he is good at crisp short passes. Stepping out behind the net though, he occasionally ices it or turns it over.

I think Bigras will be with the Avs as soon as he is fully healthy, and they can find a taker for Gelinas.

Maybe this is what I'm seeing more often. Nonetheless, very happy from what I've seen from Zadorov this far.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
My biggest issue with Zadorov is that everything he does, he does at his own slow pace. It is really hard to see if he is just having that Skoula like poise, or if he is just dumb. I go back and forth on it all the time. IMO if he just made a touch quicker decisions and trusted his first instinct more, he'd be much more effective. That said, there is a time and a place for his patience.

In the end, Z will be fine. I'm not sure if he reaches his potential of being a #1D, but he should at least be a good #3 with plenty of opportunity to grow beyond that.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'm not too sure how people can be down on the kid already either. He's had some rough patches, but he's doing quite well all things considered. They are giving him limited minutes, but they are tough defensive minutes against the oppositions best players and with high defensive zone starts. It's not like they are spoon feeding him offensive minutes and line matching him against the other teams third/fourth lines.

I've long felt that Zadorov is/was going to test the patience of Avs fans. And he is. I'm totally OK with his trip ups, but I will say that they are different than I thought they'd be. He seems to sometimes just "lock up" or something - where he stops skating, hesitates, and then makes a really bad play.

But again, he's making a number of solid plays also. And doing so on a cruddy hockey team.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
Hedman was a trainwreck early on, I remember him getting violated over and over again in games I saw him play, especially with Tre Kronor.

THIS. People were incredibly disappointed with Hedman at first. People need to remember. Young defenseman take time. Lots of time. He's playing at a competent NHL level right now. Sometimes he's our best D. Sometimes he'll have bad games. We're relying on him a bit too much but that's not his fault. I'm quite happy with him.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I only watched up to the end of the 2nd with last nights game, but I really liked what I saw out of Zads. He was more confident with the puck, and was making a lot of really good plays. He's not rushing it without a care in the world like we saw at times last year, but he's also not as tentative as he has been for most of the time this year.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Still bothers me that hes not even being tried on the PP while Weircoch still is even though his play on the PP has dipped considerably. That shot he took last night that led to Duchenes goal is precisely the sorta thing you want on a PP. To the same extent I dont know why Gelinas isnt even being tried there since apparently its the one thing he might be decent at although he cant hit the net I would take either option over Weircoch and ****in Beauchemin on the second unit.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah it's nice seeing him confirm that he was playing it safe, and that by his own right hes gaining some confidence offensively, that all matching what we've seen the last few games at times.

Aj makes a good point about EJ being out, and Z getting the experience and a chance to break out a bit. Especially with the lost season/development year.

That quote the other day really made my day, and just generally put me in a better mind set about the team, and Sakic as a GM.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah it's nice seeing him confirm that he was playing it safe, and that by his own right hes gaining some confidence offensively, that all matching what we've seen the last few games at times.

Aj makes a good point about EJ being out, and Z getting the experience and a chance to break out a bit. Especially with the lost season/development year.

That quote the other day really made my day, and just generally put me in a better mind set about the team, and Sakic as a GM.

What quote?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What quote?

This

François Gagnon (RDS) said on the radio two days ago that he had a conversation Saturday, with someone inside the Avs Org. He said that the Avs took the decision over the summer that this year will be a transition year (he used the term: wasted year). The Avs dont want to bring anyone up from the AHL unless they know they are 100% ready to be in the NHL AND they think it's best for young players to be in the minor, in a good atmosphere, insted of being with the Avs.

Everyone are on the same Page , Jared Bednar is taking this "transition year" to get used to the NHL and the Avs players.
They have a plan and the plan will start next season when some of the "questionnable" contrats will be off the book (Iginla...). They know they made mistakes in the past but they learned from them and are following the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad