Value of: Nikita Zadorov (Offseason)

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I know I'm the odd man out, but Zadorov brings a unique element to the defence group that is completely gone if he's removed. Byram/Timmins could replace Girard more readily than Zadorov. I'd explore what kind of return there'd be for Girard; ideally, package him with Burakovsky for a solid, CONSISTENT second line winger(OTTOMH, Ehlers, maybe).
What? No GM in the NHL trades Girard for Ehlers straight-up. Why throw in another asset to a bad deal for the Avs.

I can see Sakic, "Sure, take a core 21 year old defender off our team signed for 7 more years. And that 25 year old guy's career I just rescued and resuscitated, on track for a 25+ goal season, just throw him in as filler for a 2nd line replacement that is a modest upgrade."

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Stralman seems to be the most obvious player to move for Zadorov. I don't want the AVs to absorb the $5.5M Cap for the next 2 seasons.

Maybe trade Stralman elsewhere and focus on the Zadorov = 2nd + 3rd. Just can't see a trade being consummated unless FL moves salaries.
The issue with acquiring Strålman is that we simply have no space for him on our blueline. Zadorov is getting moved as it is due to a crowded blueline.

Graves --- Makar
Girard --- Johnson
Byram --- Cole/Timmins

The only reason I could see that we'd ever pick up Strålman was if it was a CBO capdump and we get assets for saving Florida real dollars.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The issue with acquiring Strålman is that we simply have no space for him on our blueline. Zadorov is getting moved as it is due to a crowded blueline.

Graves --- Makar
Girard --- Johnson
Byram --- Cole/Timmins

The only reason I could see that we'd ever pick up Strålman was if it was a CBO capdump and we get assets for saving Florida real dollars.

RHD is a particularly weak area with the uncertainty of Timmins and EJs constant injuries. Stralman would be a perfect addition, but the extra contract year is painful. FL wants to cut salaries and Zadorov needing a new deal makes him less desirable if the AVs wants pics and prospects.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
RHD is a particularly weak area with the uncertainty of Timmins and EJs constant injuries. Stralman would be a perfect addition, but the extra contract year is painful. FL wants to cut salaries and Zadorov needing a new deal makes him less desirable if the AVs wants pics and prospects.
In hockey terms I can see what you're saying, as another experienced RHD would be useful cover. However, the term on his contract is a big problem in that scenario, and would mean that we would be tied into both Strålman and Johnson until 2023 for a combined $11.5m. That would all but block any chance Timmins has of making the team for the foreseeable future, and given that the organisation seems very high on Timmins it seems unlikely that they'd do that.

Our current situation where we have Cole on an expiring 1 year contract is the perfect situation, as he's effectively just the short-term placeholder for Timmins in that 3RHD spot, and if Timmins makes the roster then Cole can simply be our #7D.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
In hockey terms I can see what you're saying, as another experienced RHD would be useful cover. However, the term on his contract is a big problem in that scenario, and would mean that we would be tied into both Strålman and Johnson until 2023 for a combined $11.5m. That would all but block any chance Timmins has of making the team for the foreseeable future, and given that the organisation seems very high on Timmins it seems unlikely that they'd do that.

Our current situation where we have Cole on an expiring 1 year contract is the perfect situation, as he's effectively just the short-term placeholder for Timmins in that 3RHD spot, and if Timmins makes the roster then Cole can simply be our #7D.

I completely agree.

FL might be the perfect destination, but cutting the rumoured $10M from their payroll (thanks to Bob) there is little chance to make a deal unless they dump salaries.

Reactions: Richard88

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Bumping this.

We’re still assuming Zad is getting pushed out of the line up and Bednar is exasperated by him.

Any team like Winnipeg looking for toughness on the back line?

Any gullible Size Queen that will jump on him? Treveling perhaps?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Bumping this.

We’re still assuming Zad is getting pushed out of the line up and Bednar is exasperated by him.

Any team like Winnipeg looking for toughness on the back line?

Any gullible Size Queen that will jump on him? Treveling perhaps?

3.2M bottom pairing inconsistent dman for sale. Any takers??

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I like Zadorov more than most and think he brings something that the Devils D lacks.

I can see Winnipeg taking him on now, we're soft as butter and it shows. He can be our Kulikov replacement.

Even though Z is good as gone, I think Sakic will prefer sending him out East or at least out of the division if the value is similar. We've seen him demolish enough players and shut down stars that he'd probably prefer sending him to the Devils if the difference in value is minimal.

If there isn't any interest from anyone else, i'm sure Sakic would be fine trading him to Winnipeg thouhg.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
3.2M bottom pairing inconsistent dman for sale. Any takers??
The way he’s played in the bubble, his price is going up. Dude is bringing it so far. Smart pinches tonight to break up a few odd man rushes. Avs are looking ready for a high seed and long playoff run. Zadorov is safely ensconced in his role now.

Reactions: Richard88

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The way he’s played in the bubble, his price is going up. Dude is bringing it so far. Smart pinches tonight to break up a few odd man rushes. Avs are looking ready for a high seed and long playoff run. Zadorov is safely ensconced in his role now.
Hahaha, one or two round robin meaningless games and now he’s fully ensconced in his role?.. hahaHa that doesn’t change his Overpaid bottom pairing Inconsistent career to date.

good luck with him! I really hope he remains an Av

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I know I'm the odd man out, but Zadorov brings a unique element to the defence group that is completely gone if he's removed. Byram/Timmins could replace Girard more readily than Zadorov. I'd explore what kind of return there'd be for Girard; ideally, package him with Burakovsky for a solid, CONSISTENT second line winger(OTTOMH, Ehlers, maybe).
Hilarious. Sakic isn't moving Girard.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Hahaha, one or two round robin meaningless games and now he’s fully ensconced in his role?.. hahaHa that doesn’t change his Overpaid bottom pairing Inconsistent career to date.

good luck with him! I really hope he remains an Av

Good luck with your own overpaid player.

Drouin - Itching.gif

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
"Hey Bergy how many of those picks is it worth to you to insure Zadarov doesn't leave another Kotkaniemi shaped dent in your boards? It would be a shame for Z to end up in Toronto."
No one considers Zadorov a concern. Only an idiot would make a trade for him under that fear or concern. I like when Z is on the ice when I am the opposing team. Especially when the puck is deep in Avs territory.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I haven't watched much of Zads since his departure from Buffalo. Is he a solid top-4 defenseman? Or more of a bottom pairing guy with a ton of snarl?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I haven't watched much of Zads since his departure from Buffalo. Is he a solid top-4 defenseman? Or more of a bottom pairing guy with a ton of snarl?

He is never a solid top4 D.
He oscilates between playing like a top pairing shutdown D for 15-20 games a season and a decent bottom pairing D for 60 games..

He is an amazing 1on1 defender. He really sucks when it becomes a cycle game (Avs in general are not great at defending it but its his biggest weakness) and gets lost puck watching too often...

He also is the absolute king of the Colorado lockerroom : Ian Cole Diary, Part I: Inside Kadri's goal, bubble life and ... Nikita Zadorov?

Thats why I am surprised but not shocked at how Avs fans are treating him on here.
Its a numbers game and he probably is the odd man out down the road but for some he (and Jost) has become the whipping boys (on a team that has amazing depth where nobody would deserve that label) and some can't wait to get rid off him.

I'd personally would even want to keep him depending on what happens with Byram and Timmins and rather trade Ian Cole (who also isn't half bad).. This seems like a very tight knit group and Zads looks to be the guy hat keeps everyone loose..
Very underrated quality IMO and together with his meanness (although he has dialed it back since his jaw injury) qualities that are not easily replacable...

IMO in the right kind of system (that plays more to his strength and doesn't force him into making too many quick decisions) in the right role Zads could get a lot better and I wouldn't be shocked if he really excelled under a new coach in a new situation...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad