Prospect Info: Nikita Zadorov (2013, 16th) – '14-15: Buffalo (NHL) – 2015: Graduated + traded to Avs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
From Brock:

5. Nikita Zadorov - Defenseman - London Knights
When you're 6'5, 230lbs, you can hit like a truck, and you have no issues with mobility, you're going to get consideration inside the lottery. That's the case for Zadorov. The size he possesses is obviously awesome, but when you combine it with a slick, effortless, skating stride it becomes even better. He's incredibly difficult to beat off the rush because he can skate with you, but also has that long stick and aggressive nature which makes him hard to get around. That aggressive nature is also very appealing. He's definitely become one of the most physical players in the OHL. His hits hurt and he strikes a lot of fear into opposing forwards. He'll plant you on your butt in the neutral zone, he'll rub you out in the corners, and he'll stick you in the back in front of the net. He's simply a physical beast. I do feel at times that he becomes too physically focused though. He can be prone to taking himself out of position in order to go for a big hit and at times, he'll get caught scrambling in the defensive end after engaging too long in the corners. He needs to learn that he can be effective sometimes by just using his reach and positioning and that occasionally that big hit just doesn't need to happen. In order to become a truly terrific defensive player, he'll also need to tighten up his coverage reads. Sometimes he can get caught standing around watching the play. In terms of his offensive game, I think he can be a fairly effective player at the next level. I don't see a future 40-50 point guy. But, if he continues to work on his breakout, gains confidence in his ability to skate with the puck, and improves the accuracy of his shot, he could be a second powerplay guy and possible 30 point dman. He has enough skill with the puck to make things happen off the rush, but he's not incredibly aggressive and doesn't usually break the opposing blueline. Towards the end of the season and into the playoffs (and Memorial Cup), he was starting to be more aggressive without the puck offensively; taking chances by jumping up in the play or trying to slip in the backdoor. Bottom line is that Zadorov has the skill set to be a very solid two-way guy at the next level and someone who can log 20 minutes a night for your team.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
More From OHL Prospects:

5. Nikita Zadorov - Defenseman - London Knights
Received Votes From: 15/15
Highest Placement/Lowest Placement: 1st (1x)/6th (1x)
The Scoop: Zadorov is a tower of power on the London blueline. As a rookie, he established himself as one of the most feared and intimidating defenseman in the league. While his offensive game is still growing, he can change the complexion of the game with his hitting force. The team drafting Zadorov will hope that he can develop into a dominant shutdown defenseman.
Comments:
"His thought process sometimes leaves you wondering if he will reach his potential or is bound to land on the scrap heap with others who have many impressive tools but not the intelligence to know how to use them properly. I think Zadorov will at the very least develop into a physical dominant defensive defender who might not pot you 40-points, 30-points or even 20-points a year but can chip in from time-to-time with a pinch or strong pass. Man is this kid exciting to watch." - Dan Stewart

"A big mean horse who is nasty and strong. His stick skills need work, but he's gaining confidence. Zadorov simply scares people and also has a bomb from point. Huge ceiling." - Anonymous

"Zadorov steps up when games matter most including an outstanding performance at the Top Prospects Game. An incredibly light and nimble skater considering his mammoth 6'5, 230 pound frame. Transitions rapidly up ice and is always jumping into the play as a fourth forward and giving the opposition something to concern themselves. He has great acceleration and a massive stride that eats up the ice that should he get caught up ice he can recover with ease. Puck handling skills marked improvement over the course of the season however he will need to continue to refine them. His defensive game is a 'work in progress' and he can suffer from mental lapses and break downs in coverage however when he is asked to do less he can easily close the gap and administer punishing body checks that eliminate players from the action. Zadorov has the athleticism, frame and skill set to be a top four defenseman at the pro level who could surprise with his offensive contributions." - David Burstyn

"For me, Zadorov is one of the most appealing defenders in the draft because a) he already has the size and skill that could make him and effective player but b) there is an absolute ton of potential for development and improvement. He could be an absolute beast in 5 years. He’s physical, competitive and has an underrated offensive instinct as well. His shot is a cannon and I believe we’re going to see him continue to get better and better in the next few years. It’s scary to think how good this player could become. He has the potential to be the Russian Shea Weber." - Anonymous

"He told me he loves the North American game and you can tell by watching him play." - Anonymous

goach

Jun 30, 2013
Yes i agree! our prime target should be 5 years from now.Let them develop, offense can be targeted in the next couple of years.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Yes i agree! our prime target should be 5 years from now.Let them develop, offense can be targeted in the next couple of years.

Our prime target should be to get higher picks the next two years (including as high as we can in 2015)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
nikita_zadorov_london.jpg
5AWiFI7.jpg

=

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
myers is totally on the market

I seriously doubt that - we know how patient Regier is with his players and that he chalked off last season as an aberration for Myers.

Are you finally going to get Bobby Ryan?

I wish - if I were Regier, I would tell Bob Murray that he could pick any single player in the Sabres' organization in exchange for Ryan.

Big and mean. We need that. Solid pick.

Zadorov was a steal at 16th. Button thought the Sabres would take him at 8th in his mock draft.

Regier's wish about getting bigger sure applies to what could be his top 4 on defense in 2-3 years: Myers (6'-8"), McNabb and Zadorov (6'-5") and Ristolainen (6'-4").

goach

Jun 30, 2013
As i said." Offense can be looked after in the next couple of years! Build from the back-end out!

crazyaces**

As a leafs fan I think Buffalo had a very good draft - And getting Zadorov at 16 is just crazy - I think both were top 10 picks and you could have easily taken "little Z" with the 8th pick and you get him at 16 wow - kinda jealous!

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Just listened to the Devine interview on Sabres.com.

He pretty much said that they had Risto and Zads neck and neck and that a couple of his scouts like Zads a little more.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So I think the general consensus is that if Risto isn't on the big club next year...he'll go back and play in Finland..

With Nikita.. I think most believe he won't be on the big club needs another year or 2...so... where does he go? Back to juniors or AHL?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So I think the general consensus is that if Risto isn't on the big club next year...he'll go back and play in Finland..

With Nikita.. I think most believe he won't be on the big club needs another year or 2...so... where does he go? Back to juniors or AHL?

He won't be 20yo by 12/31/13, so it's back to London for Big Z.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Ristolainen and Zadarov. Wow, so wow. I think it was wise and once he sild to 12, I was cautiously hopeful. Such a nice move. I LOVE Zadarov as a prospect.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I started calling for the slide to 16 at 10. :laugh:

As soon as Philly took Morin at 11 I thought we had him if we wanted him.

The Zadorov pick just reinforces the Risto pick... I wouldn't of been as happy with Risto pick if we took Risto at 8 and then Erne, Zykov, Shatz ect at 16.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
big Man who can skate and is fiesty. Love everything about this pick. I was certain philly was going to select him at 11 but they didn't and I thank them for that. When you can blow up tom wilson like that, I'll give you props. That shows strength and skill. A little concerned about his offensive abilities, but he might be able to get 30 a year which is nothing to scoff at. Love this selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad