Prospect Info: Nikita Zadorov (2013, 16th) – '14-15: Buffalo (NHL) – 2015: Graduated + traded to Avs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
pi-16-top-1.png
pi-16-top-2.png

pi-16-top-3.png
pi-16-top-4.png

pi-16-bio-left.png
pi-16-bio-right.png

header-350x60-scouting-roundup-left.png
header-350x60-scouting-roundup-right.png

Source | Quote and/or Scouting Report |
Four-direction skater with all-around abilities to excel as a pro. Powerfully strong prospect wth great size, wheels, balance, and burst. Plays tough and is a player that gets noticed by the opposition because he goes after them. Uses his balance and natural talent to get in strong hits all over the ice and still maintains position and keeps focused on the game. Plays nasty, and can beat you on O or D. The "Russian factor" had him pushed back in the rankings, but his arrival in North America will most certainly gain him strong first round consideration. You don't get a strong two-way defenseman from the outset, but you do get a big physical one who will engage attackers with regularity. There certainly is time for growth of an offensive game, as long as he chooses to stick around North America and develop one.​
|
Zadorov is a project 2-way defenseman. He has a hard shot from the point, lays open ice hits and uses his premier size all over the ice. He's an average skater who likes to rush the puck.​
FC
|
The potential that some evaluators see in Zadorov has them projecting the next big physical two-way NHL defender. He shows a nice combination of mobility, strength and puck skills. He skates very well for a player of his size and shows strong footwork, balance and mobility. He makes strong plays with the puck, and reads the play well. Zadorov’s first pass is strong and he does not try to force things that are just not there. His point shot is very hard and although his windup is a little on the long side, still should be considered a weapon. His strength is his physical game as he is willing to unload a devastating hit, mercilessly eliminate opponents along the boards or drop the gloves and teach an opponent a lesson about manners towards his teammates or himself.​
HF
|
Zadorov is the not-so-gentle giant on the Knights’ blueline. He’s a personable kid off the ice, but certainly one that you wouldn’t want to mess with on it. Zadorov had an up-and-down year with the Knights this season as he seemed to be searching for an identity. At 6’5 and over 230 pounds, the Moscow-born Zadorov has the physicality to dominate. And, at times, his zeal to lay out his opponents with the big hit can take him out of the play. But as the year progressed, Zadorov learned to reign in his physicality and became a much more effective stay-at-home blueliner. He has a solid shot, but doesn’t project as a number-one blueliner. However, he should fit very nicely on a top pairing as the defensively responsible, crease-clearer for whom so many teams are looking.​
Hockey Prospect​
|
Early in the season, he would chase hits and put himself out of position, making his team outnumbered down low. Now he regularly lets the play come to him, maintaining much better one on one positioning. He will still use his body effectively, but will pick his spots and do it at intelligent times. Nikita has underrated puck skills and is capable of skating the puck up ice and gaining the offensive zone. Another area he has improved is his puck handling ability. He was hit or miss early in the year but now he’s a lot more consistent and intelligent with both his decisions and actual puck skills. He’s effective holding the offensive line and generally can get his shot through from the point with smart shooting decisions. Nikita has provided some offense at the junior level while playing a solid defensive game making him a valuable defenseman at both ends. Right now, Nikita looks more like a physical shutdown defenseman who is just now discovering his offensive potential. His overall shooting ability needs improvement...read more.​
|
Zadorov is an elite physical player who possesses many tools for future success. He has a 6'5", 220-pound frame, and he is unusually strong for a player his age. He uses it to his advantage, as he loves to take the body and land highlight reel hits. He skates at an above-average to plus level, which is significant for a player at his size. He can close gaps remarkably well. The rest of his game is not as impressive, but he could be a fine puck mover and positional defender. Scouting sources have divided opinion on both of those fronts. He has improved as the OHL season has progressed. He shows ability to move the puck and make good reads in his own end, but his decision making is not always perfect. He possesses some offensive upside, but it is likely more in the average range.​
ISS
|
“Potential is the name of the game with Zadorov,” says Ross MacLean, head scout for International Scouting Services. “He is already a tremendously skilled and intimidating defender with explosive physical and technical abilities, but has an absolute ton of room left for further development and physical maturation. He has tremendous size with a monstrous frame that has plenty of room to build on, but is already significantly stronger than a lot of his competition. He loves to hit and can throw some seriously heavy bodychecks. He moves well for his size, is decently-mobile and loves to join the rush,” MacLean adds. “He has a very strong shot that he still hasn’t really become comfortable showing off on a consistent basis. Zadorov could potentially become the Russian Shea Weber, but will still require a few years of development before that potential becomes close to reality.”​
McKeen's Hockey​
|
A remarkably light and agile skater given his mammoth 6-foot-5, 230-pound frame .. transitions rapidly to offence, his mobility allowing him to jump into the rush and recover with relative ease .. his feet are softer than his hands however .. adequately skilled - makes a crisp and accurate first pass - but will need to continue refining his finesse skills .. gradually grew more effective on the power play - demonstrating better vision distributing the puck and learning to harness a booming slapshot which can go wildly off target...read more.​
|
“Zadorov is a projection pick,” echoes David Burstyn, director of scouting for McKeen’s Hockey. “When you look at him, you marvel at the type of things that he’s able to do at his size. He skates with unbelievable agility, both in reverse and lateral, and straight-ahead. He always jumped in the rush this year acting kind of as a fourth forward, even though his point totals didn’t necessarily reflect that. He’s great in transition and he could easily recover if he got up ice too high. His point shot is a little erratic,” Burstyn adds. “He was experimented at times on the power-play, but he would probably factor into more of a shutdown guy at the NHL level. When he hits, he can absolutely annihilate a player and eliminate them completely from the play. He has to work on his puck skills. He can make a good short-term and long-term pass, but the puck skills at this point is the one thing he needs to refine. I thought he did a good job this year playing North American hockey; he adjusted really well and helped the London Knights win another OHL championship and get a berth in the Memorial Cup.”​
|
When you're 6'5, 230lbs, you can hit like a truck, and you have no issues with mobility, you're going to get consideration inside the lottery. That's the case for Zadorov. The size he possesses is obviously awesome, but when you combine it with a slick, effortless, skating stride it becomes even better. He's incredibly difficult to beat off the rush because he can skate with you, but also has that long stick and aggressive nature which makes him hard to get around. That aggressive nature is also very appealing. He's definitely become one of the most physical players in the OHL. His hits hurt and he strikes a lot of fear into opposing forwards. He'll plant you on your butt in the neutral zone, he'll rub you out in the corners, and he'll stick you in the back in front of the net. He's simply a physical beast. I do feel at times that he becomes too physically focused though. He can be prone to taking himself out of position in order to go for a big hit and at times, he'll get caught scrambling in the defensive end after engaging too long in the corners. He needs to learn that he can be effective sometimes by just using his reach and positioning and that occasionally that big hit just doesn't need to happen. In order to become a truly terrific defensive player, he'll also need to tighten up his coverage reads. Sometimes he can get caught standing around watching the play. In terms of his offensive game, I think he can be a fairly effective player at the next level. I don't see a future 40-50 point guy. But, if he continues to work on his breakout, gains confidence in his ability to skate with the puck, and improves the accuracy of his shot, he could be a second powerplay guy and possible 30 point dman. He has enough skill with the puck to make things happen off the rush, but he's not incredibly aggressive and doesn't usually break the opposing blueline. Towards the end of the season and into the playoffs (and Memorial Cup), he was starting to be more aggressive without the puck offensively; taking chances by jumping up in the play or trying to slip in the backdoor. Bottom line is that Zadorov has the skill set to be a very solid two-way guy at the next level and someone who can log 20 minutes a night for your team.​
|
Zadorov made huge strides in his first season with the Knights, developing a reputation as a physical, two-way defender. He jumped up in the rush at a moment’s notice and displayed soft hands around the goal area. He can make a strong first pass and start the rush offensively. Zadorov plays a solid defensive game, underlined by a bruising and punishing physical style. He has the size, at six-foot-four and 200 pounds, that can stand to add another 30 pounds of muscle once he fills out. He’s far from a finished product, but his development is on the right track towards becoming a big-time defender.​
TSN
|
Nikita is another of the 'big man' defence prospects. His skating base is very good and his stride is long and powerful and he's able to gain a lot of ice quickly. This allows him to be a threat offensively but it also makes it very difficult to gain an advantage on him defensively. He will play physical and he can be a significant physical presence in the game. He has good awareness with the puck and has a heavy shot that can make it very difficult for goaltenders to corral it. He has developed defensively where he recognizes the situation and makes very solid plays and is not using his skills to make up for mistakes but is using them to impact the game. He has the potential to be a top three defenceman in the NHL.​

header-350x60-multimedia-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

Last edited:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I think you guys are having a very good draft so far. This draft is deep and you have 4 picks in the top 50. Offense can be taken care of in the later picks, but you guys are taking the best players available right now.

Your D looks great in the future with Risto and Zads.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Beast. Mangler. :biglaugh:

FC:

No. 11
NIKITA ZADOROV
POSITION: Defense
SHOOTS: Left
TEAM: London (OHL)
BORN: April 16, 1995
VITALS: 6’-5” / 225 Lbs
STATS: 63 GP 6 G 19 A 25 PTS 54 PIM

STRENGTHS: Zadorov is a big, fleet-footed monster on skates. The rookie Russian import wasted little time getting accustomed
to the North American game, showing his moxy by dropping the gloves in each of his first two games played for the
Knights. His toughness was evident from day one, but there’s more to his game. He has a very impressive stride for such
a tall kid. Usually guys that have his size at his age are uncoordinated but Zadorov has been the exception to that. He has
good speed as well as the ability to maintain good gaps against even the shiftiest of opponent. His speed coupled with his
size is a menace to stop when he decides to grab the puck and go coast-to-coast, which he does at least once per game.
Those rushes lead many to believe he has untapped offensive potential to be a game changer not only defensively or with a
big hit but also on the offensive side of the game. His decision making and timing in those rushes are still a work in process
but you love to see the aggressiveness. Zadorov steps up quickly and is very capable of playing the puck. This area of his
game has grown by leaps and bounds this season. He can make a solid first pass out of his zone, and is a willing contributor
in the transition game, skating very well with the puck on his stick. His shot is strong and he finds open lanes to get it through
on net but he instinctively looks to distribute before getting his own shot off. He has made some devastating hits this season
and steps up on opponents with good stealth catching them prone. Zadorov does not pick his targets based on size as he
will hit everyone. Defensively, his game is raw but impressive as he uses his wing span and large frame to close off lanes.
WEAKNESSES: Zadorov’s biggest area of improvement is needed in his decision making as he has been known to make
poor reads on when to jump up on the rush or to deliver a hit leading to odd man advantages. This area has improved so
he is learning. His size is good but he is still lanky in the legs even at his current weight and will need to add strength to his
lower body. His passes are hit or miss quite literally as he has shifts where he makes very impressive passes and other
times tries to force things that just are not there. Lastly, his first step or two could use work as he can look like he is skating
in sand as could his lateral mobility as he can have trouble keeping up to shifty forwards in his own zone especially after he
comes to a stand-still.
SCOUTS QUOTE: “An impressive physical specimen, Nikita shows some great potential to be a solid two way defender that
will make a big impact at the next level. He has great size and outstanding mobility when coupled with that size. He hits like a
Mack truck and gets his large frame into passing and shooting lanes effectively. He also has some ability to rush the puck up
ice and jump into the attack that will develop further. I could see him as a strong two-way top four blue liner at the next level.”
NHL POTENTIAL: Top 4 Two-Way Physical Defenseman

litflyersfan

Jan 1, 2008
You guys are stacked on D now. Your easily going to take out the big bad Bruins soon. Milan who? When Myers, Risto and Zads are in his face. Good luck to you guys.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hockey Prospects.com:

Zadorov, Nikita – LD – London Knights (OHL) – 6’5.25” 221
Nikita was selected 9th Overall in the 2012 CHL Import Draft by the London Knights. Nikita spent
his 2011-2012 season with CSKA-Krasnaja Armija Moskva of the MHL in Russia. He first showed
what he was capable of in North America at the 2012 World U17 Challenge. He had a fairly strong
performance for Team Russia en route to helping them win Gold. He also participated in the IIHL
World U18 Championships scoring twice as an under-ager at the tournament. He impressed the
Knights who were willing to take him very high and bring him over to the OHL. The Knights placed
him in the 3rd pairing to start the season and slowly increased his minutes as the season moved along.
The first things you notice about Nikita is his skating and his size. He is very good skater and we
expect he will continue to improve as he gains strength. Nikita is also a very physical player who
takes pride in finishing his hits. This was an area we saw tremendous improvements this season.
HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
Early in the season, he would chase hits and put himself out of position, making his team
outnumbered down low. Now he regularly lets the play come to him, maintaining much better one on
one positioning. He will still use his body effectively, but will pick his spots and do it at intelligent
times. Nikita has underrated puck skills and is capable of skating the puck up ice and gaining the
offensive zone. Another area he has improved is his puck handling ability. He was hit or miss early in
the year but now he’s a lot more consistent and intelligent with both his decisions and actual puck
skills. He’s effective holding the offensive line and generally can get his shot through from the point
with smart shooting decisions. Nikita has provided some offense at the junior level while playing a
solid defensive game making him a valuable defenseman at both ends. Right now, Nikita looks more
like a physical shutdown defenseman who is just now discovering his offensive potential. His overall
shooting ability needs improvement.
Quotable: “If Nurse goes before this kid it will be a mistake.” - NHL Scout
Quotable: “I really liked him coming into the season, much like Maatta he struggled
a bit early on. I like the way the Knights eased him into the league playing 3rd
pairing early in the season. He kept improving. I liked it when he stopped chasing
hits and started lugging the puck. He was one of my favorite players I spoke to
this season. I think he may surprise a few folks down the road with his offensive
contributions. He told me that in Russia he was told to play defense, now
he is discovering his offensive game” - Mark Edwards
Quotable: “He was in my top 30 coming into the season, dropped out and than
played his way up to being a high pick.” NHL Scout

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Well, our future D core looks big, nasty and talented. As I said in the earlier threads, if Zadorov has any yet untapped offensive upside, he could be a (dare I say it?) elite defenseman. He's already got the size, skating, physicality and defensive prowess.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Like I said in the draft thread, we might have the best prospect pool in regards to defense in the League now.

I wanted a forward but I have no problems with Zadorov either. This kid seems like a punisher. Hard-nosed, physical, and tough to play against. We have so many good defense prospects now. Kind of surprised we picked two defensemen in the first but I like both the picks. Just a little concerned what we'll do at forward.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think you guys are having a very good draft so far. This draft is deep and you have 4 picks in the top 50. Offense can be taken care of in the later picks, but you guys are taking the best players available right now.

Your D looks great in the future with Risto and Zads.

We needed our defense to get harder to play against in the worst way. Our new division is going to be brutal. I agree with you that we took BPA. We were discussing in our IRC channel Zadorov, Erne, Lazar, and Gauthier. I thought Zadorov was BPA but was leaning towards Erne just because we have a strong defensive pipeline. I'm thrilled with the pick and the BPA strategy, though.

NHL: Ehrhoff, Myers, Sekera, Weber
NHL ready(ish): Pysyk, McNabb, Ruhwedel
Pipeline: McCabe, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Gauthier-Leduc

Not to go overboard but I feel that we're pretty much guaranteed to have a strong and deep defense no matter who may bust or underwhelm. Can't help but wonder if Myers is really on the market. I'm open to it now.

Good luck with your offseason, Toronto's trending in the right direction.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
McKeens: #7

Overcame a tentative start to steadily gain confidence in his
North American debut which culminated in strong performances
in the OHL playoffs and Memorial Cup .. gradually adapted to the
systems and began to come into his own following the Canada-
Russia Challenge in November .. the Moscow native initially burst
onto the scene with a captivating 2012 U17 World Challenge ..
participated in each major event for his country since - before being
a final cut on the national under-20 team for the World Juniors ..
responded with a standout physical showing at the Top Prospects
Game, dishing a number of thunderous hits .. SCOUTING REPORT
.. a remarkably light and agile skater given his mammoth 6-foot-
5, 230-pound frame .. transitions rapidly to offence, his mobility
allowing him to jump into the rush and recover with relative ease
.. his feet are softer than his hands however .. adequately skilled
- makes a crisp and accurate first pass - but will need to continue
refining his finesse skills .. gradually grew more effective on the
power play - demonstrating better vision distributing the puck
and learning to harness a booming slapshot which can go wildly
off target .. his defensive play is an ongoing ‘work in progress’ ..
suffers positional breakdowns and sudden lapses in judgment ..
tends to take aggressive defending angles and can over-commit to
the puckcarrier which forces teammates to compensate .. steadily
learning to exploit his footwork in 1-on-1 coverage - did improve
his gap control and timing to administer hits against quick players
.. erases opponents with mean punishing take-outs - yet will revert
to being an aloof presence at other times .. engaged in two fights
in his first two games, including a tilt with Erie heavyweight Johnny
McGuire - and never fought again until the playoffs .. possesses all
the components to develop into a stout shutdown defender - who
could surprise with his offensive contributions.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I remember for a couple weeks at least now whenever the possibility of taking two D came up I said I'd be thrilled with Risto and Zadorov. I always said Risto was my ideal at 8 (if the board broke the way it seemed it would w/o Lindholm or Monahan) and Zadorov at 16. Didn't necessarily expect or prefer that we get both but I sure can't complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille