Nikita Tryamkin, D II : Overreaction Edition : Ruble, Rumor, Rabble, Rogers Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Really looking forward to seeing this kid play. I think it was Valk who said it best (about the transition to NA). It will depend on how quick he is on the smaller ice surface. He clearly is a good/smooth skater for his size. On the smaller ice, reaction time is less and he will need to make decision more quickly. I expect that his area coverage will compensate a lot as he adjusts but we'll see.
From his comments it sounds like it's NHL or KHL. This is contrary to Benning 'hoping' he understands the benefits of playing in the AHL if necessary. Benning's right though, if his challenges are being quick on the smaller ice surface, the AHL is the better place to learn.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Just re-read my post. I meant "Rypien being a boxer made it more difficult for opponents".

But our team doesn't have any heavyweights, so it makes sense to hug it out. Tie up the arms and get in close to avoid any KOs.

Pedan is the only one who doesn't hug, but due to his past history with concussions, I rather him hug it out. You can see he was trying to destroy Nolan in that one fight. He got lucky Nolan didn't connect any punches.

Tryamkin from the highlights is definitely a hugger.

Tryamkin only started hugging when he got tagged. The guy he was fighting was a bit of a berzerker.

You don't need to be a heavy weight if you got speed or the Stockton slap.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
It does appear that tram started taking boxing lessons after his fight where he got tagged so he may be improving in that department.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
It does appear that tram started taking boxing lessons after his fight where he got tagged so he may be improving in that department.

What do you mean "appears" that he's started taking boxing lessons ?

You're saying you've seen him in enough fights to determine that he's taken lessons?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Watching Tryamkin shoot made me want to recount a sad story from the Canucks open practice. While they were doing the last shootouts to determine which fans got prizes, at the other end Lidster pushed the net down so that the top was facing out.

Our defencemen then started shooting slappers and one-timers from the blueline. Although it is a smaller target vertically it is the same horizontally.

They probably missed half the shots they took :cry:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Interesting....he's either in the NHL or back to Russia, according to this morning's interviews....won't ever be in Utica....but I have confidence that he'll make the Canucks....after all they're likely losing three UFA's in the off-season and other than Pedan, there's not many options.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
He does come from a very tough city. The last family of Czars were murdered there, and the biggest tourist draw, is the cemetery where all the crime bosses still have surveillance on their head stones.

I know many have high expectations for Tryamkin.

I am keeping them very low. It can take a long time for a big bodied man to become athletic, if ever.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Interesting....he's either in the NHL or back to Russia, according to this morning's interviews....won't ever be in Utica....but I have confidence that he'll make the Canucks....after all they're likely losing three UFA's in the off-season and other than Pedan, there's not many options.

This is the stigma on why teams won't draft Russians. They either are going to be stars or gone.

It really is a home run swing, either it hits or you are out.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Wow. So the 'Y' is silent now? Easier to pronounce, I guess.

No matter how we interpret his name, it's interesting how we interpret this 'game'.

News media! Funny how it happened, when it did..

Looking forward to seeing him play, but I'm curious about blowing off a first year of a contract to displace media attention away from management failings.

Don't like the timing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You just have to shake your head a the media in this town...Pratt is warning that fans are guilty of pumping up this guy's tires so far, they're somehow setting him up for failure..the fans are doing this? Really?...so far it seems the pack mentality of all the talking heads and print gurus in the media are the ones who are all over the guy....I guess when the team sucks on most nights, there's not much else to write or talk about.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
You just have to shake your head a the media in this town...Pratt is warning that fans are guilty of pumping up this guy's tires so far, they're somehow setting him up for failure..the fans are doing this? Really?...so far it seems the pack mentality of all the talking heads and print gurus in the media are the ones who are all over the guy....I guess when the team sucks on most nights, there's not much else to write or talk about.

Eh...I admit fans showed some anticipation but most seems pretty level-headed, and are approaching Tryamkin with a "let's see what he can do" kinda attitude instead of "HOLY BALLS WE GOT OURSELVES CHARA NOW."

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

I would say the Tryamkin stuff is pretty tame so far compared to the ramp up of what we're seeing with Boeser as he continues to produce in the NCAA...

It doesn't match the feelings I had watching him at the World Jrs a mere 2 months ago. Hope he keeps it up, but I think people need to check themselves there a tad.

Tryamkin buzz I think has more to do with facination and imagination rather than expectation...

Can't wait to find out what we have in him tho.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
cant wait to see him put in some games. sure it'll be an adjustment going from big ice to small ice. but in time i think he'll learn fast. punishing hits and finally a "crease clearer"?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Really looking forward to seeing him in action.

Just keep it simple, Niki. Box out, clear the crease, make the safe plays, keep track of your check, etc etc etc.

Honestly, I'm happy if he tops out at a reliable 3rd pairing guy. Defensive defenseman? Bring it on. Stunning lack of those around here. Any points or face-punching is pure gravy if he can just defend well in his own zone.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Yea, worried this isn't going to end well. He will likely be 3 -4 years before he is a reliable defenseman, and if he won't go the Utica route, can see him not lasting more than a year.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
he's 21. if he needs another four years to become a passable nhl defenceman, he should do it with another team

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
At this point, the Canucks can afford a project. By playing Tryamkin this season his contract is essentially for one year, after which the Canucks can sign him to a one year contract. If Tryamkin doesn't show progress by preseason 2017 he can return to Russia.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I hope he comes in and beats the **** out of someone and delivers big hits.

Also clear the crease.

If he can do that I'll be happy.

I'm tired of seeing Sbisa being a big wimp and unable to clear the crease. Then randomly get hailed as this "tough guy".

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I hope he comes in and he is the softest gentlest giant ever seen in the NHL but he is effective at "hockey"
and makes good offensive hockey plays while stimying the hockey plays of the bad guys

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I hope he comes in and he is the softest gentlest giant ever seen in the NHL but he is effective at "hockey"
and makes good offensive hockey plays while stimying the hockey plays of the bad guys

That would actually be hilarious.

Everybody expects him to be this mean guy and it turns out he's just a bigger version of Tanev. :laugh:

Anyway, I want him to be mean and do mean things and be a serviceable defensemen. I'll be happy with that.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Interesting to see if he's actually a good skater. You know, good mobility on his feet.

Pedan was hyped up as one but from what I've seen that's not the case. Good straight ahead speed means nothing for a defenseman if his footwork is otherwise clunky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad