Value of: Nikita Scherbak

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
As a former 1st rounder, he's not worth a 1st round pick anymore for sure.

With de la Rose healthy again, they will be forced to trade one or both of them in the coming days or risk losing them on waivers. Hence, the trade value of Sherbak isn't great - 3rd rounder at best or a similar prospect that doesn't need to go through waivers to be sent down.

They can put Peca on waivers when DLR comes back -- I doubt anyone will claim him -- and DLR can take Peca's spot as 4th line center.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
[/QUOTE]

Kevin Hayes? Lol you see what people are offering for him right? His value has dropped well below getting a Kevin Hayes. As a previous Canuck fan suggested I’d be open to a pouliot for scherbak swap or mdz.[/QUOTE]

I know many lowballed him, but Hayes can have a shot at being a regular 2nd center, even if he would be a subpar one. I dont believe in miracles with a trade of Nikita. You talk about Pouliot but I dont believe he can be better than a 3rd pair... which its pretty easy to find for free.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
What exactly should be added on Bergevin's bad moves? The fact that he tried to draft some picks and let them bloom into NHL players rather then trading them? In that case every GM should have a bad move... Hindsight is 20/20 here.

Also good luck getting Kevin Hayes for Scherbak.

A GM should know his material and trading players when they still have a value. I think 90% of our fanbase would agree that McCarron and Fucale should have been traded a long time ago. Their actual status dont surprise a lot of us.

So yeah, for me its a bad move. Somes leafs fan still want McCarron for a 1st at the begining of last season. They will laugh their ass if we would propose this again.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A GM should know his material and trading players when they still have a value. I think 90% of our fanbase would agree that McCarron and Fucale should have been traded a long time ago. Their actual status dont surprise a lot of us.

So yeah, for me its a bad move. Somes leafs fan still want McCarron for a 1st at the begining of last season. They will laugh their ass if we would propose this again.

It's rare to trade a poor developing prospect for equal picks or something of value. Usually, all you are offered is another disappointing prospect. Especially when it comes to McCarron and Fucale. The best value they had was before they turned pro.

Habs would be lucky if we are offered a 2nd or 3rd for Scherbak at this stage. Honestly, I am not sure any team offers picks for a unproven prospect like this. I know there would be interest but I think teams will offer a similar disappointing prospect or worse.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
The Habs are supposedly rebuilding. Why are they trying to trade a prospect?

Because he wasn't good enough to earn a spot in the lineup to start the season and is now sitting in the press box because he would have to go through waivers (where he would certainly be claimed off) to be sent down. It's a tricky situation with him.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Disappointing prospect yet improved every year in the AHL until he was a 21 year old over ppg in the ahl last season...

I'd not trade him were I Montreal, and from my team, if scherbak is moving I'd easily offer a 2nd.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I would imagine Scherbak’s value is similar to that of Jordan Schmaltz. If we weren’t filled to the gills with top 6/9 forwards I could see it being a fairly ideal swap.

At this moment though, Schmaltz is worth more to us than Scherbak would be as some of our defense has been banged up or played questionably this far.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Bennett is a proven bottom-6 (middle/3rd line) NHLer, still with top-6 potential.

Scherbak hasn't prove anything in the NHL.

while i agree, he had all the chances in the world to succeed with PP times, averaging nearly 15mins a game since his NHL debut with 3 full season and he posted 26points last season! He seems to be slowly pushed out in the line up and lost his Coaches trust.

it's the way around for scherbak, he never had any real chances to prove himself, played mehh minutes with VERY mehh players. he had constant progression in the AHL. he was always a slow starter but at the end of last year in his small NHL stint he looked realy good, confident and left Montreal thinking he could come into a top 6 role as soon as this season. Classic Scherbak came back a slow starter again at the camp and got his place token by less skilled but hungrier player! I think he's just very nervous and is the type of player who needs the trust of his coaches in order to perform. in my opinion he still has boom or bust top 6 potential in the right environement and sadly i don't think it's under Julien!

Yes Bennett is the safer NHL player, but i think Scherbak is the player with the Higher offensive ceilling if you have room for him, i think he would do better in an enviroment with less media and less attention. it all comes down to what your organisation need and how they view a player, to me it's clear that bennett is not in the Flames project anymore and i think Both player could benefit from a change of scenery.

If you totally forget about their draft pedigree, i don't think Bennett is that much of a reach in a swap for Scherbak. he's simply more of a high risk high reward than bennett.

at the end of the day if the flames realy end up shopping bennett like i think, i realy doubt teams will give up picks, it will be for a similar struggling prospect depending on your teams need! wich i don't know exacly what it is tbh, but Scherbak is in that similar situation type of player!

Last edited:

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I would imagine Scherbak’s value is similar to that of Jordan Schmaltz. If we weren’t filled to the gills with top 6/9 forwards I could see it being a fairly ideal swap.

At this moment though, Schmaltz is worth more to us than Scherbak would be as some of our defense has been banged up or played questionably this far.

You are right about the Player value, but like us we are filled with RHD! the swap value is pin point, the Needs for both team aren't!

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
You are right about the Player value, but like us we are filled with RHD! the swap value is pin point, the Needs for both team aren't!

Yeah that is true. It’s typically nice to have a very even price point swap though when having expectations for a return. Schmaltz may hold a slightly higher value due to being a PMD Right shot d man. But I’d say it’s fairly minimal as neither are proven commodities and both have had great AHL success

Reactions: HOPE

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The Habs are supposedly rebuilding. Why are they trying to trade a prospect?

We have:
Tatar - Gallagher
Byron - Lehkonen
Drouin - Armia
Hudon - Shaw

That are all better than Scherbak on the wing. There is no way he gets an opportunity in the top6 (which he would need) with our wing depth. If he was a centre or a D, he'd have a spot for sure.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
We have:
Tatar - Gallagher
Byron - Lehkonen
Drouin - Armia
Hudon - Shaw

That are all better than Scherbak on the wing. There is no way he gets an opportunity in the top6 (which he would need) with our wing depth. If he was a centre or a D, he'd have a spot for sure.

Currently better* would be the right term and the thing with Scherbak is you want him in a top 6 role, Middle 6 MAX if you are running 3 offensive lines and can put him with reliable player defensively

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Ben Hutton could probably use a fresh start But... Canucks dont have room for another W on the NHL roster we will have to waive someone once Roussel is back.

What about Granlund?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I know many lowballed him, but Hayes can have a shot at being a regular 2nd center, even if he would be a subpar one. I dont believe in miracles with a trade of Nikita. You talk about Pouliot but I dont believe he can be better than a 3rd pair... which its pretty easy to find for free.

Exactly why i said Scherbak does not get you Hayes. Also I'm well aware of what Pouliot's value is. Its the same as Scherbak's. Next to nothing. Look at whats being offered for him. look at any fringe prospect thats been traded once their waiver exemption expires. Around a 5th round pick. Given that Habs fans want a LHD, Poo is about the best you'd get. Or you can get a Honka, whom is younger but less proven

Prior to the start of the season i was open to a Goldobin for Scherbak swap. Both exactly in the same boat. I just like Scherbak better given his size. However with goldy having amazing chem with Pettersson. Plus actually playing decent defense now that he is playign well offensively, I no longer would move Goldy for him.

Last edited:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Exactly why i said Scherbak does not get you Hayes. Also I'm well aware of what Pouliot's value is. Its the same as Scherbak's. Next to nothing. Look at whats being offered for him. look at any fringe prospect thats been traded once their waiver exemption expires. Around a 5th round pick. Given that Habs fans want a LHD, Poo is about the best you'd get. Or you can get a Honka, whom is younger but less proven

Rather take that 5th round pick than Pouliot. Bottom pairing LHD with no upside add nothing to us. That's why a player like Honka would intrigue us, he would be guaranteed to get a spot (RHD) and still has upside. I'm not sure if Pouliot checks either box.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Rather take that 5th round pick than Pouliot. Bottom pairing LHD with no upside add nothing to us. That's why a player like Honka would intrigue us, he would be guaranteed to get a spot (RHD) and still has upside. I'm not sure if Pouliot checks either box.
lol Honka has worse stats than Pouliot at the NHL level. He's only 2 years younger. I get not wanting Pouliot. I'd give him away for a 7th, but Honka is basically a right handed Pouliot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad