Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak - Stay In Yo Lane Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This is 100% a fabrication as the Habs absolutely did not play over 65 games against back-ups.

The number is but the reality is in the 2nd half we faced a higher than usual number of backups. I clearly remember a stretch of 10 games where we faced 6 backups. Usually you should not face backups more than once every 4 games and we were way over that % in the 2nd half last year.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
All I can say is that he seems to have improved. I'd rate him ahead of Hudon, but that's not making him a first line player. Again, I'll express my disappointment with Drouin. He should be playing better at this point in his career. The Habs gave up an excellent D prospect to get him. Let's hope their 2018 first rounder is good enough to play in the NHL without a lengthy apprenticeship in Laval. I've all but given hope of seeing Tavares in the bleu blanc rouge.

Although I was recently diagnosed with cancer I'm not experiencing noticeable health problems and I won't undergo surgery. However, I hope too see the Habs become serious contenders before symptoms interfere with my enjoyment.

Sorry to hear that old friend. I trust you'll see 90 and many more after that. Hopefully that will include some memorable games and playoff series by Les Canadiens.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hopefully he is training this summer like his NHL career depends on it because it is. He has to breakout this season

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
All I can say is that he seems to have improved. I'd rate him ahead of Hudon, but that's not making him a first line player. Again, I'll express my disappointment with Drouin. He should be playing better at this point in his career. The Habs gave up an excellent D prospect to get him. Let's hope their 2018 first rounder is good enough to play in the NHL without a lengthy apprenticeship in Laval. I've all but given hope of seeing Tavares in the bleu blanc rouge.

Although I was recently diagnosed with cancer I'm not experiencing noticeable health problems and I won't undergo surgery. However, I hope too see the Habs become serious contenders before symptoms interfere with my enjoyment.
Praying for you to pummel the challenges ahead!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hopefully he is training this summer like his NHL career depends on it because it is. He has to breakout this season

He has to stay away from injuries! Needs to get a bit more stronger IMO. That's what he should be working at and If I was the Habs, I'd be setting up a program for him to follow vs allowing him to train on his own or hire his own trainer.

This kid has raw skill... Injuries affected is development since turning pro.

Reactions: Tyson

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Scherbak staying in Montreal this summer for the first time.

If I'm management I keep close tabs on him to make sure he's following a strict workout.

If so, he'll be a beast in October.

https://www.rds.ca/videos/course/c-...-dans-les-coulisses-nikita-scherbak-3.1279135

He looks like he is filling out in this recent photo
DfSTPzRWsAUe-XE.jpg

I see a top 6 RW in Sherbak.

I do as well. I see him as a player we should definitely keep. I see 100% a top six RW in him. Further more I see a very exciting top 6 RW. He may have the most offensive skill on our team to be honest, his puck skills are way more refined the Galchenyuks.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
He looks like he is filling out in this recent photo
DfSTPzRWsAUe-XE.jpg

I do as well. I see him as a player we should definitely keep. I see 100% a top six RW in him. Further more I see a very exciting top 6 RW. He may have the most offensive skill on our team to be honest, his puck skills are way more refined the Galchenyuks.

I don't know if they're more refined. Galchenyuk's issue is that his speed grinds to a halt whenever he starts to dangle. Scherbak doesn't have as much of an issue keeping his feet moving, but he's way too easy to knock off the puck, especially for a guy of his size. He can improve on that pretty easily, though.

Reactions: HBDay

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I am cautiously optimistic that this kid breaks out this year

If not this year, either next year or the year after. All I want is for him to stay healthy and be given ice time with offensive players. I am sure he will work hard. No need to cut his ice time when he makes mistakes. He can play through them.

Reactions: King In Glory

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If not this year, either next year or the year after. All I want is for him to stay healthy and be given ice time with offensive players. I am sure he will work hard. No need to cut his ice time when he makes mistakes. He can play through them.
Really frustrating this past season watching him play with 4th Liners all the while the season was lost. Scherbak should never play on the same line with Logan Shaw.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Really frustrating this past season watching him play with 4th Liners all the while the season was lost. Scherbak should never play on the same line with Logan Shaw.

As much as Bergevin needs to go, I can't stand Julien's decisions. He had Pacioretty on the half wall on the pp for half the season and his line combinations didn't get the most out of the offense. Gallagher with Plekanec until the trade deadline? No Galchenyuk at center? Galchenyuk with DLR as center, Scherbak with Logan Shaw? Daniel Carr constantly in and out of the lineup. He never once tried Pacioretty Danault Gallagher. Scherbak and Galchenyuk were great together, but hardly played together. Etc....

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
As much as Bergevin needs to go, I can't stand Julien's decisions. He had Pacioretty on the half wall on the pp for half the season and his line combinations didn't get the most out of the offense. Gallagher with Plekanec until the trade deadline? No Galchenyuk at center? Galchenyuk with DLR as center, Scherbak with Logan Shaw? Daniel Carr constantly in and out of the lineup. He never once tried Pacioretty Danault Gallagher. Scherbak and Galchenyuk were great together, but hardly played together. Etc....
Julien is no better than Michel Therrien

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The number is but the reality is in the 2nd half we faced a higher than usual number of backups. I clearly remember a stretch of 10 games where we faced 6 backups. Usually you should not face backups more than once every 4 games and we were way over that % in the 2nd half last year.

We were a team out of the playoffs with one of the worst offences in the league. This shouldn’t surprise anyone. In the past. teams were playing a playoff team to beat us 2-1, etc. This year, there was no issue with scoring against us.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

With regards to Pacioretty - isn't Kirk Muller in charge of the pp or are you assuming it's Julien's decision in order to attack him? The pp wasn't even that bad this year but I don't like Pac anywhere near it. It's hard to keep your top goal scorer and team captain off the pp though.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
With regards to Pacioretty - isn't Kirk Muller in charge of the pp or are you assuming it's Julien's decision in order to attack him? The pp wasn't even that bad this year but I don't like Pac anywhere near it. It's hard to keep your top goal scorer and team captain off the pp though.

Pacioretty is good in the high slot on the pp. Galchenyuk has always been better on the half wall/available for the one timer on the right side. Once the switch was made we went from having one of the worst power plays in the league to one of the best.

Regardless if Muller is assigned power play duties, Julien is the head coach and has final say on everything. No way it should have taken half a season to make that switch.

And, I have a hard time believing Muller would be dumb enough to have Pacioretty on the half wall over Galchenyuk. So I do wonder if part of Julien's punishment to Galchenyuk (in addition to having him on the 4th line) was not letting him play the halfwall on the pp. But if Muller came up with that idea he deserves criticism too. But Julien is still responsible for his team's power play as the head coach and thus deserves criticism too.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Julien seems like a much more reasonable, thoughtful guy than Therrien, and at least values controlled entries instead of feeling threatened by puck handling, but he's ultimately still a dinosaur.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
He’s worse. I’ll get flack for it but it’s true.

After the fact as much as I couldn't stand Therrien by the time he was canned I'll say this: I get the impression that Therrien actually had a talent for knowing what he had ( not a good team ) and getting the most out of them. Example being stifling creativity because the fact of the matter was we don't/didn't have good puck handlers ( dekes and fancy play's tended to result in turnovers), so Therrien attempted to limit mistakes. He got the most out of a poor roster but eventually the roster caught up to him. Having said all this I still couldn't stand the man's demeanor, had he been more personable I'd say he was a good coach.

Julien doesn't seem to have a plan in place on what this team should be doing in order to win.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
He’s worse. I’ll get flack for it but it’s true.

I don't like Therrien's bullying style and making the lockerroom feel like a morgue. But, Therrien certainly may have gotten more wins out of last year's team's roster than Julien did.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
After the fact as much as I couldn't stand Therrien by the time he was canned I'll say this: I get the impression that Therrien actually had a talent for knowing what he had ( not a good team ) and getting the most out of them. Example being stifling creativity because the fact of the matter was we don't/didn't have good puck handlers ( dekes and fancy play's tended to result in turnovers), so Therrien attempted to limit mistakes. He got the most out of a poor roster but eventually the roster caught up to him. Having said all this I still couldn't stand the man's demeanor, had he been more personable I'd say he was a good coach.

Julien doesn't seem to have a plan in place on what this team should be doing in order to win.

I agree :( I'm very disappointed in CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad