Nikita Kucherov is the clear favorite for the Art Ross Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Someone downplayed McDavid for letting the league in scoring for a total of one hour this season. While true, the schedule has played a big part in this and not taking it into account is very deceptive as the Oilers have been trailing in games played the whole season.

Now they've caught up so much that they only are tied for the fewest games: eight teams are at 80 GP while four teams have finished their regular season.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's a possibility, more so that he has a performance that could give him 7 or 8 points but performances that good usually end up as 4 or 5 points with a bunch of close chances that he or his linemates couldn't quite capitalize on. I say he gets 4 points tonight.

I wasn't seriously thinking he still had a shot at the Ross - but I missed the game last night, and when I looked up the box-score and saw it was 9-2 Oilers and McDavid scored less than a minute into the game, I gotta admit I wondered if he was going to take one last stab at the Ross still :)

In the end only 2 points. The Ross is definitely going to be Kucherov's this year - well deserved.

Fantastic season by all 3 players in the race. I hope Kucherov and Matthews hit their milestones too this week.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
I'm terms of big round numbers and individual narratives there are two major ones still in play: Kucherov with 99 assists, one game left (vs. TOR) and Matthews with 69 goals, two games left (@FLA, @TBL). Tough matchups all the while resting top players might be in play (though it's a tough decision to make as legacies are at stake).

As for the Art Ross, MacKinnon could take it by a photo-finish but the Avs face EDM at home and Kuch would have to lay pretty low against the leafs. If Kucherov gets to 100 assists and then rests, MacKinnon would have to get a five point game against the Oilers.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
1713352841948.png

More records associating themselves with the all time greats, and MAck isn't on that list yet again.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
I really don't want Kucherov to win the Hart, but his dominance in the Art Ross race this season and feeling like he had the lead all year was something special.

Reactions: Outl4w

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
one assist puts him at a Gross for points, which is how the haters see him. Poetic. Id take that.

Reactions: Outl4w

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I agree.

Nobody is 'owed' any award, but these media voters are f***ing stupid. They gave a Norris to an old and washed up Lidstrom over a obviously much better Weber as a retirement sendoff.

The Hart Trophy has become a farce trophy over the years. It's a narrative trophy from the media writers who don't actually watch many of the games.

There's no science to it. There's no stats to back anything up. It's the "most popular story about a players impact" award.

And from that vantage point, MacK is "owed" one because he's been an elite player for so long and this is the first non-McDavid year they could give it to him, knowing full well he likely won't get it next year.

You can't quantify what "most valuable to their team" means. It could mean the best player on a top team, or the best player on a middling team that got dragged into the playoffs.
I mean it's probably 90 percent of the time the ross winner unless it was close or they didn't make the playoffs.

And then that matthews one for no reason

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Kucherov still needs one more to make it comfortable imo
Got more points total than MACK, more points per game at 5v5, and more points on the PP. HE also has the most assist ever for anyone at RW. No one else has tops the most assist for their position ever this year.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Got more points total than MACK, more points per game at 5v5, and more points on the PP. HE also has the most assist ever for anyone at RW. No one else has tops the most assist for their position ever this year.
I just mean MacKinnon could go full force and get 5 points the way this crazy point race has been

Reactions: Dingo

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I just mean MacKinnon could go full force and get 5 points the way this crazy point race has been
If he gets 5 points, kucherov gets 0 more points, and Mack ties it. It is highly unlikely gets 5 points anyways. He didn't make history as the best at his position and still has less points per game. Kuch should win. Kuch only played 81 games this year.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

Never go full force.

Only Jumpin' Jeff Farmer goes full force!

But seriously, I feel like the race is over, but with all the dramatic and remarkable things that have happened this season, who the hell knows...

• Love
Reactions: Dingo and pnep

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
If he gets 5 points, kucherov gets 0 more points, and Mack ties it. It is highly unlikely gets 5 points anyways. He didn't make history as the best at his position and still has less points per game. Kuch should win.

If they tie, the tiebreaker is goals, so MacKinnon would win it in that case.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Is McDavid playing tonight? Cuz Oilers are playing Arizona....he could easily pot 5-6 points himself, and be 5 points out of Kucherov by tomorrow's final game too.

Quite unlikely maybe - but as you say, with how crazy the race has been, i won't count him out just yet

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Is McDavid playing tonight? Cuz Oilers are playing Arizona....he could easily pot 5-6 points himself, and be 5 points out of Kucherov by tomorrow's final game too.

Quite unlikely maybe - but as you say, with how crazy the race has been, i won't count him out just yet
It has been a wild year for offense! STamkos has kept Kucherov from getting his 100th assist for two games now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad