Rumor: Nikita Kucherov considering return to KHL

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I'd offer Virtanen+ (the plus would be another significant thing or two) for Kucherov if Tampa ever considered trading him.

Him with the Sedin for their last few seasons, damn that would be fun to watch. Kucherov can score from anywhere.

Tanev is probably what it would cost unless Vancouver wants to significantly overpay.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Actually that's not what the source (English article here) says. In fact it says that Dinamo Moscow wanted the equivalent of $1.5 million US from Traktor for Nichushkin's KHL rights.

EDIT: Or maybe it says what you said after all. The wording seems to a bit unclear. Does the sum refer to the asking price by Dinamo Moscow or to Nichushkin's personal contract demands? :dunno:

The $1.5 million is Nichushkin's salary request. We don't know what the Dynamo are asking for his rights.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Nichushkin is another player who negotiated with a KHL team. He wanted the equivalent of $1.5 million US from Traktor, but they decided they don't want to pay him that much.

Unless he finds other KHL teams to talk to, Nichushkin may have lost his KHL leverage. That said, it is interesting to see how little he wanted from the KHL. Tells me he really does want to return to Russia.

That story came from the same **** source as before. There is no way a Russian team doesn't spend 1m5 million yo bring back a Russian to russia

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
That story came from the same **** source as before. There is no way a Russian team doesn't spend 1m5 million yo bring back a Russian to russia

Traktor's GM is a **** source?

Traktor isn't a wealthy team. There is also an additional cost above his salary. There is the price Dynamo wants from Traktor for his rights. We don't know that number. All we know is Traktor can't afford the total cost.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I would offer Pacioretty straight up for Kucherov.

Patches is already signed to a friendly cap deal which is perfect for Tampa.

Montreal gets younger and more creative up front.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016

Considering what Kucherov is going to ask, Montreal will have to add a cap dump or move a player after this deal to get under the cap.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Considering what Kucherov is going to ask, Montreal will have to add a cap dump or move a player after this deal to get under the cap.

Considering Kucherov's age and ability Montreal is going to have to add significantly to the deal simply to keep Steve Yzerman on the line. There's absolutely zero chance Tampa would give up their best forward and take a cap dump on top of that - the idea is simply laughable, not only in terms of value but because the whole idea behind this ridiculous scenario is that Tampa somehow can't create the cap space to pay Kucherov.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Considering Kucherov's age and ability Montreal is going to have to add significantly to the deal simply to keep Steve Yzerman on the line. There's absolutely zero chance Tampa would give up their best forward and take a cap dump on top of that - the idea is simply laughable, not only in terms of value but because the whole idea behind this ridiculous scenario is that Tampa somehow can't create the cap space to pay Kucherov.

Cap dump doesn't automatically mean a underachieving overpaid player. Realistically Montreal doesn't need another RW when they already have Radulov and Gallagher.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Nichushkin is another player who negotiated with a KHL team. He wanted the equivalent of $1.5 million US from Traktor, but they decided they don't want to pay him that much.

Unless he finds other KHL teams to talk to, Nichushkin may have lost his KHL leverage. That said, it is interesting to see how little he wanted from the KHL. Tells me he really does want to return to Russia.

No, all it really tells us is Dallas could be offering less than 1.5, doesn't necessarily mean he wants to go back, could mean he's ok with going back if the situation is better, like if he could go back to his home town of Traktor. If he just flat out wanted to go to Russia, he would probably have signed with Dynamo by now. I'm thinking Dallas is offering somewhere between 997,500 (should be his qualifying offer) and 1 mil, I dont think Nill has offered 1.5, he's played hardball with RFA since joining Dallas and almost all have gotten very low deals with a couple of exceptions, but those usually bought up some UFA years or years the player would have arbitration rights too like Eakin and Klingberg.

Your making it sound like Nuke would just rather play in the KHL then the NHL. we don't know if thats the case, but we do know he wants around 1.5 mil to play hockey. his agent would be stupid not to use the KHL for leverage, its really his only leverage, since holding out would hurt Nuke way more than help him at this point, since he doesn't have a defined role like Eakin did when he held out.

Also, it sounds like it was the total price for Nuke, the cost to acquire his rights (reported as steep) + the 1.5 mil, was too high and they couldn't afford to spend that much on one player, not just the 1.5.

Last edited:

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Send him over to Nashville. He's instantly on cup contender, we have more cap room that any other contender, we are in th west so Tampa gets him out of the east, we need a first mine winger badly.

I would start a trade offer around fiala, kamenev, first round pick, Arvidsson/Jarnkrok. Then add whatever lightning wants in reason.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Cap dump doesn't automatically mean a underachieving overpaid player. Realistically Montreal doesn't need another RW when they already have Radulov and Gallagher.

Even if it's a good player, why would Tampa trade Kucherov for two lesser players that combined cost as much as he does?

Also realistically the Lightning don't need another LW when they already have Palat, Killorn, and Drouin (who was moved to the right due to the team's depth at LW and shortage thereof at RW. Trading Kucherov for Pacioretty would therefore doubly worsen the imbalance by both adding a player at a position already overflowing with talent and subtracting one from a position already short of it.)

And on top of those two issues there's the fact that even if we were offered two players of sufficient value to entice us to trade Kucherov, with the expansion draft coming up we wouldn't be able to protect both of them.

So basically if Montreal wanted to do something around Pacioretty for Kucherov (assuming Galchenyuk is off the table) the only deal I can see that might work for the Lightning would be Kucherov and Filppula for Pacioretty and Gallagher with 50% retention. Gallagher adds value to help bridge the gap between Kucherov and Pacioretty and creates room at RW for Kuch in Montreal while replacing him there in Tampa. Filppula clears cap and protection space to make the deal possible for Tampa and also adds some value by keeping his buyout off the books; Montreal in turn can play him at LW to replace Pacioretty or buy him out. Montreal gets the best and youngest player in the deal while Tampa adds depth and frees up a little cap space. I'm still not sure I'd do this as a Tampa fan, but it's about the only deal not involving Galchenyuk that I wouldn't instantly reject.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Send him over to Nashville. He's instantly on cup contender, we have more cap room that any other contender, we are in th west so Tampa gets him out of the east, we need a first mine winger badly.

I would start a trade offer around fiala, kamenev, first round pick, Arvidsson/Jarnkrok. Then add whatever lightning wants in reason.

Unless that add is Forsberg there's no deal. We're trying to win now too and trading a 30 goal regular season and PPG post season scorer for futures is simply not going to happen.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
As a Hab fan I hope he does go to the KHL. He always stood out as Tampa's best forward in the games against Montreal.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Is it just me but Kucherov seems overrated. I mean he's a good playoff performer but he hasnt been outstanding in the season. Same thing with Drouin. Playoff runs dont make u one of the best in the league. Ive seen people say he's as good as Tarasenko which is a joke.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Kucherov is good, but damn dude

Kucherov is our best forward and our most reliable postseason scorer; he's young and is still getting better. Pacioretty is good but he's hit his peak, is nowhere near as clutch as Kucherov, and would only be signed for three seasons, after which if he isn't in decline by that point we wouldn't be able to afford to resign him. Gallagher fills the hole at RW left by Kuch and at least gives us some long term value after Pacioretty declines/leaves; the retention on him combined with Filppula going back the other way clears the cap and protection space to make the deal possible. Ultimately Tampa does well in the short term but probably loses this deal in the long run once Pacioretty and Filppula are gone and it reverts to Kucherov for Gallagher.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Also to be clear I'm not saying Montreal would or should do this deal; I'm saying it's the only deal involving Pacioretty for Kucherov that is even remotely workable for Tampa. We simply are not going to trade our best forward for an older one who is only signed for three seasons while creating a massive hole in our top six at RW. Gallagher is the only piece Montreal has that would both fill the gap at RW and provide sufficient long term value to even entice us to consider the deal.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
So the typical Russian RFA strat to get more money. I wouldn't worry if I was Tampa.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is it just me but Kucherov seems overrated. I mean he's a good playoff performer but he hasnt been outstanding in the season. Same thing with Drouin. Playoff runs dont make u one of the best in the league. Ive seen people say he's as good as Tarasenko which is a joke.

Kucherov was TB's best forward all last year, and he's already one of the best playoff performer's in the franchise's history. If he's not an elite player, he's a borderline elite player who likely hasn't reached his ceiling just yet.

Orca Whalers

May 24, 2013
Tanev is probably what it would cost unless Vancouver wants to significantly overpay.

Sorry buts that ridiculous. Our number 1 D for a Russian forward who is good but that Russian factor is always "buyer beware". There's not a chance in hell Benning even considers this for more than a nanosecond before hanging up the phone on Stevie Y

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia

For drouin I would....wouldnt do it for kucherov when he can threaten to bolt to KHL and max cost 4.5 in probably what are gonna be the most important couple of habs season since 93. Not sure it makes sense to get rid of such a cap friendly player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad