Rumor: Nikita Kucherov considering return to KHL

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
A 7X7 will force cause for roster moves, too. Another 600k won't change anything.

There's no offer sheets because it's pointless. No team is going to go so high that they give up 4 firsts, and TB will match anything less.

You wouldn't think so, but then Tomas Vanek happens.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Kucherov isn't going anywhere unless Tampa totally ****s him over.

Funny, Fedorov and Yzerman are GMs in this potential tug of war.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
I'm also willing to bet that Drouin is getting an offersheet next summer.

This is what concerns me. In the end we'll do what we have to do to keep Kucherov. But we're almost certainly losing a top six forward next season and Drouin is a prime target for an offer sheet, as well as the sort of player who would sign one. Unless the offer were completely ridiculous or Drouin's prima donna act became a major issue again we'd match, but then we'd be looking at losing either Johnson or Palat. I'm in the minority on the Lightning board but I think Yzerman painted himself into a corner by signing Stamkos and I'm not very confident that he can get out of it.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Are you only here to crap on Leaf fans?

No, I'm here to talk about Kucherov, but if Leafs fans want to enter a thread that has nothing whatsoever to do with their team and crap all over it with some sour grapes about their ridiculous trade proposals in other threads being rightfully dismissed by anyone with even a passing knowledge of hockey, then I think it's fair game to take a lighthearted potshot at them.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Why wouldn't he explore his options? I'm sure he gets signed, but he'd be a fool to not consider other options if Tampas not offering what he thinks he's worth.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Funny how often khl comes up in contract negotiations but never happens.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
How do you know that...KHL teams have offered some outrageous conrtacts.

Read much?

They get paid in rubles. It's the designated currency of the KHL.

You might have heard of something called the war in Eastern Ukraine. It lead to sanctions against Russia that kicked the snot out of the Ruble. It hasn't recovered.

There is also the KHL salary cap, which at one point was roughly the equivalent if $17MM per team, and was threatening to go down as measured in rubles and in comparison to the US dollar.

So, even if the ruble recovers slightly against the US dollar it isn't even close. The days of outrageous KHL offers are long gone.

It won't be outrageous, duh!

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Read much?

They get paid in rubles. It's the designated currency of the KHL.

You might have heard of something called the war in Eastern Ukraine. It lead to sanctions against Russia that kicked the snot out of the Ruble. It hasn't recovered.

There is also the KHL salary cap, which at one point was roughly the equivalent if $17MM per team, and was threatening to go down as measured in rubles and in comparison to the US dollar.

So, even if the ruble recovers slightly against the US dollar it isn't even close. The days of outrageous KHL offers are long gone.

It won't be outrageous, duh!

Lol, sanctions haven't done a **** to rubble, oil prices have. Have you heared about Canadian dollar, btw? And ruble actually was way too expensive, which made imported goods too cheap inside Russia, so the government just used sanctions as a good reason to devalue rubble.

And KHL has a very generous luxury tax (20% or like), so teams like SKA and CSKA can go a few times above the salary cap. Which is a legit way to influx money into the league by Gazprom and Rosneft.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Lol, sanctions haven't done a **** to rubble, oil prices have. Have you heared about Canadian dollar, btw? And ruble actually was way too expensive, which made imported goods too cheap inside Russia, so the government just used sanctions as a good reason to devalue rubble.

And KHL has a very generous luxury tax (20% or like), so teams like SKA and CSKA can go a few times above the salary cap. Which is a legit way to influx money into the league by Gazprom and Rosneft.

So with oil prices as they are now, how is the ruble doing then?

Have there been any any stupendous KHL contract offers since 2014? I haven't seen any and I'm not expecting any soon.

Kucherov might well get a competitive KHL offer, but it won't be outrageous.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
So with oil prices as they are now, how is the ruble doing then?

Have there been any any stupendous KHL contract offers since 2014? I haven't seen any and I'm not expecting any soon.

Kucherov might well get a competitive KHL offer, but it won't be outrageous.
10 million usd for 2years for a gm + 1 million usd to his club did they offer Skellefteå's former gm http://www.eliteprospects.com/staff.php?staff=246.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
10 million usd for 2years for a gm + 1 million usd to his club did they offer Skellefteå's former gm http://www.eliteprospects.com/staff.php?staff=246.

Is ilya Kovalchuk still the highest paid player in the KHL?

Exchange rates are always changing, so the USD value of a KHL contract is always changing. Since I don't travel to Russia I don't bother to keep close track of it.

I understand that at one point Kovalchuk's contract was worth about $15MM US/year but since the devaluation of the ruble in 2014 it's been worth about half that -- or $7.5 US/year. Still a very, very healthy and respectable contract, but not what it once was.

And, of course, Kovalchuk was signed before the devaluation of the ruble and AFAIK is still the KHL's highest paid player.

So, while at one time there were contract offers from the K that were much, much higher than anything an NHL team could pay under the current CBA, that no longer seems to be the case.

If Kucherov really wants to go to Russia I'm sure he will get a highly competitive and extremely attractive offer, but it won't be anything so outrageous that Tampa Bay Lightning would not be able to meet it.

The Lightning, of course,do not have the a contractual right to match and keep an RFA outside the CBA -- so whether he stays or goes would be Kucherov's decision. I expect him to stay with the Bolts, but the KHL threat is genuine with or without the making of an "outrageous" offer.

Please forgive my derision and rudeness, which is not directed to the good people of Russia (nor of Tampa Bay), but rather to the ignorant poster that made a similarly rude comment on my own post last day and thoroughly pissed me off because there is no place for that in these fora.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Funny how often khl comes up in contract negotiations but never happens.

It's the only real leverage RFAs have sometimes, and it has happened before. Burmistrov went to the KHL after his ELC expired because of problems with Claude Noel, the old Jets coach.

Nichushkin is another player who negotiated with a KHL team. He wanted the equivalent of $1.5 million US from Traktor, but they decided they don't want to pay him that much.

Unless he finds other KHL teams to talk to, Nichushkin may have lost his KHL leverage. That said, it is interesting to see how little he wanted from the KHL. Tells me he really does want to return to Russia.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Nichushkin is another player who negotiated with a KHL team. He wanted the equivalent of $1.5 million US from Traktor, but they decided they don't want to pay him that much.

Actually that's not what the source (English article here) says. In fact it says that Dinamo Moscow wanted the equivalent of $1.5 million US from Traktor for Nichushkin's KHL rights.

EDIT: Or maybe it says what you said after all. The wording seems to a bit unclear. Does the sum refer to the asking price by Dinamo Moscow or to Nichushkin's personal contract demands? :dunno:

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I'd offer Virtanen+ (the plus would be another significant thing or two) for Kucherov if Tampa ever considered trading him.

Him with the Sedin for their last few seasons, damn that would be fun to watch. Kucherov can score from anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad