Speculation: Nikita Gusev

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Love to get mad about things possibly happening.
I'm not mad at all. I'm just saying if Gusev gets all the facts and still decides Ship was treated unfairly, then he can stay and let our rights expired. Or he can come to Vegas and be treated like any other NHL player.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
For this reason, I would imagine McPhee passes on signing him after the KHL season is over - not worth the risk of him going back to the KHL for the one season and becoming UFA.

I think the best idea for both parties is a 1-year ELC next summer, which would take Gusev to UFA on July 1, 2020. This way, the team can get a close up look at him for a full season (after he gets in a full training camp and works on chemistry with his teammates), and Gusev gets to cash in as soon as possible (whether with Vegas or somewhere else).
This is sensible.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
As I understand, if he doesn't play a game at least in the regular, he won't be able to play in the playoffs and has to sign an ELC for the next season?

Btw, Shipachev said, every player had to try himself in the NHL, and he said it after he got back from NA.

Last edited:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
AAnd unless you're the Wayne Gretzky of Russian players, no NHL coach is going to make concessions on said player doing whatever the **** he wants without listening to instructions (which is seemingly exactly what Ship was expecting since even the AHL coach said he was refusing to listen to instructions and at one point stopped paying attention to the on ice translator altogether.)
Can you link me to this interview?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Can you link me to this interview?
It's somewhere on twitter and I'd have to dig it up.

This is the best I can find just searching by "Shipachyov AHL" but I'm sure I read something about the AHL coach or assistant coach or someone with the Chicago AHL team saying Shipachyov was very stubborn before refusing to report to practice.

Though I think it was a stretch on McPhee's part to say he was the worst center on the team. Refusing to play Gallant's game was one thing but the guy was a pretty good passer if nothing else.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Maybe Vegas should've coddled him and held his hand through the whole year. Not like this is the big boy league or anything.

Shipachev situation will have no bearing on Gusev's decision.

Big boy? Coddled?
Vegas ‘coddled’ Shipachyov in order to get him to sign with promise of top line duty. If you promise somebody the world to entice them to sign, give them the world to achieve. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Big boy? Coddled?
Vegas ‘coddled’ Shipachyov in order to get him to sign with promise of top line duty. If you promise somebody the world to entice them to sign, give them the world to achieve. Nothing more, nothing less.

You give somebody a juicy contract they still have to work for it, bud..

You might be new to this

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Also never tried.

There's plenty to do in the Las Vegas valley that isn't gambling. Hell, we have an Eastern European "district" in Spring Valley that he could've felt right at home in.

Shipachyov couldn't deal with the fact that he expected to be the big chief but never earned it due to failing to listen to his coaches. And I for one am glad that Vegas let him go. The team's success would not have been a thing if a guy who refused to listen to instructions was given top line minutes. Vegas' success was incredibly dependent on team synergy, camaraderie, and the coaching systems employed by Gallant.

Ship would have been terminal cancer to last year's team.
McPhee said it himself that sending him down wasn't performance related.
When you talk about camaraderie take a look at Marchessault response when Vadim wasn't given a better opportunity. Him and MARCH seemed to hit it off pretty well.

JackManning

Nov 23, 2018
derstand, if he doesn't play a game at least in the regular, he won't be able to play

As a UFA he'd take more than what Dadonov cost.

It doesn't matter, since he'll sign a 1 year ELC for a cap hit of 925k this summer.

My guess is they will make his Schedule A and B bonuses very achievable so that he can max out at around 3.7 million on the year in actual comp

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Kaprizov is the guy I’m most curious to see play in the NHL.

So just for clarification if he signs this summer he’d be a UFA at the end of a one year elc? Or is that next year ?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Kaprizov is the guy I’m most curious to see play in the NHL.

So just for clarification if he signs this summer he’d be a UFA at the end of a one year elc? Or is that next year ?
Gusev becomes a UFA at the end of his first NHL contract, which will be a one year elc if he signs this summer.

Edit: unless he signs to play this season, but that won't happen.

Reactions: Leafs87

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Gusev becomes a UFA at the end of his first NHL contract, which will be a one year elc if he signs this summer.

Edit: unless he signs to play this season, but that won't happen.

Thank you.

I could see him coming over. After bonuses he’ll make more than in the KHL and at worst if he hates NA he can go back after the year. If he ever wants to return he’ll be a UFA

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
My guess is they will make his Schedule A and B bonuses very achievable so that he can max out at around 3.7 million on the year in actual comp

Not allowed. There are minimum restrictions on Schedule A & B bonuses. A forward of Gusev's caliber should have a good shot at getting the $850k in Schedule A bonuses, but hitting a Schedule B bonus is highly unlikely--it's rare for ELC players to hit them.

Schedule A minimums:
1. Top 6 forward in ice time (min 42 games)
2. 20 goals
3. 35 assists
4. 60 points
5. 0.73+ PPG
6. Top 3 forward in +/- (min 42 games)
7. All rookie team
8. All-Star game
9. All-Star game MVP

Schedule B minimums:
1. Top 5 finish for the Hart, Richard, or Selke
2. Win the Conn Smythe
3. Make the 1st or 2nd postseason All-Star Team
4. Finish top 10 league-wide among forwards in Goals, Assists, Points, or PPG (42 game min)

JackManning

Nov 23, 2018
«У меня был единственный шанс пробить вратаря сборной Германии»

It looks like Las Vegas isn't very eager to get Gusev.

"- Do you have any contacts with LV GM or head coach?

- I have contacts with my NHL friends".

Of course, there is a chance, he just doesn't wanna talk about such contacts, but why?

That would probably be because his agent would be the one having discussions with Vegas, which appears to be the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad