Speculation: Nikita Gusev

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

I've read that before. Which is why I know this is in the article:

Listen, any hockey player who wants to go to the NHL, I advise you to go and try. My example is not revealing. In addition, I was not able to adapt there to some everyday moments. Perhaps another person will find these problems unimportant. -Shipachyov

So do you actually have any insight into Gusev or are you going to continue talking out of your ass?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That's no bueno for cap space though.

What about next year? He'll be 27 so he's UFA after signing an ELC for 2019-2020, correct?

Yeah, though from a Vegas POV signing Gusev for 2019-20 could be the worst of all options if the plan is to ink him to a longer term contract.

- Sign ELC in 2018-19 now, becomes RFA and can sign to longer term extension starting in 2019-20.
- Sign ELC in 2019-20 summer, becomes UFA after the season, can't sign extension until Dec 1st.
- Sign in 2020-21 summer, not subject to the ELC system, can sign longer term/money.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Yeah, though from a Vegas POV signing Gusev for 2019-20 could be the worst of all options.

- Sign in 2018-19 now, becomes RFA and can sign to longer term extension starting in 2019-20.
- Sign in 2019-20 summer, becomes UFA after the season, can't sign extension until Dec 1st.
- Sign in 2020-21 summer, not subject to the ELC system, can sign longer term/money.

But option 2 fits in the cap. 950k(plus bonuses), then the following year Eakin and a few others are off the books, with rookies ready to play important roles. I'd rather see what he can do before offering him a big contract. It works better for Gusev as well. Rather than signing for Dadonov term/money, he can showcase himself on an ELC and prove he's worth a big contract.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
That's not up to him, that's up to the coach. Any professional GM doesn't intervene, Gusev would have to prove he can play in the system not get a free pass.

Well i doubt he'd suck so bad to get a complete "free pass", he's the best player in the KHL.

But im sure if he's struggling a bit Gallant will tell you that he's fine ;)

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Maybe he likes playing in the KHL where you can stay in his home country and gets paid (likely) very well, better than he might get in the NHL ?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Maybe he likes playing in the KHL where you can stay in his home country and gets paid (likely) very well, better than he might get in the NHL ?
He's not getting paid very well right now, 80M rubles(1.21M USD). The highest salary in the KHL right now is 180M rubles(2.73M USD), so even if he gets offered that it's not really that much money compared to what he could be leaving on the table if he doesn't come over.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You had to think this could be a factor in Gusev's decision when a close comrade is treated so unfairly.

Shipachyov wasn't treated unfairly. It was an awkward circumstance because of the excess of roster players that Vegas had last year and he didn't have the patience to wait it out in the AHL until Vegas figured it out.

Shipachyov was just another player on a long list of KHLers who couldn't cut it in the NHL, players aren't going to look at that and say "I'm not going to Vegas" any more than they're going to look at Plotnikov and say "I'm not going to Pittsburgh".

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
It won't affect Gusev or anyone else in the KHL from coming over any more than Jan Kovar's contract being terminated would.
Jan Kovar and Vadim are like apples and oranges. I wasn't talking about other NHL teams like the Blackhawks with Panarin.
I was specifically talking about the Vegas Knights.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Shipachyov wasn't treated unfairly. It was an awkward circumstance because of the excess of roster players that Vegas had last year and he didn't have the patience to wait it out in the AHL until Vegas figured it out.

Shipachyov was just another player on a long list of KHLers who couldn't cut it in the NHL, players aren't going to look at that and say "I'm not going to Vegas" any more than they're going to look at Plotnikov and say "I'm not going to Pittsburgh".

Obviously not all players but Shipachyov's case will definitely affect the decision of Gusev considering they are friends and former linemates.

It doesn't matter if it was merely contract politics, what matters is how Shipachyov perceived it to be. You're kidding yourself if you don't think his experience will be a factor to the same team who owns Gusev's rights. Who do you think one of the first few people he calls up for opinion will be?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Obviously not all players but Shipachyov's case will definitely affect the decision of Gusev considering they are friends and former linemates.

It doesn't matter if it was merely contract politics, what matters is how Shipachyov perceived it to be. You're kidding yourself if you don't think his experience will be a factor to the same team who owns Gusev's rights. Who do you think one of the first few people he calls up for opinion will be?
His friend, & former linemate Valentin Zykov?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Probably Zykov. Or Afinogenov.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He ain’t never lied.
Also never tried.

There's plenty to do in the Las Vegas valley that isn't gambling. Hell, we have an Eastern European "district" in Spring Valley that he could've felt right at home in.

Shipachyov couldn't deal with the fact that he expected to be the big chief but never earned it due to failing to listen to his coaches. And I for one am glad that Vegas let him go. The team's success would not have been a thing if a guy who refused to listen to instructions was given top line minutes. Vegas' success was incredibly dependent on team synergy, camaraderie, and the coaching systems employed by Gallant.

Ship would have been terminal cancer to last year's team.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

You’re missing the point as it pertains to Gusev.
Unlike other failed KHLrs, the significance of the Shipachyov saga is that Vegas seduced him on being the #1 center during contract negotiations, then dropped him in the AHL after 3 games.
From a NA perspective this might be business as usual (the contract is all that matters), but it’s a slap in the face to a Russian considering our business and negotiation culture rely heavily personal relations. Nobody likes being told something face-to-face then have it play out differently.

Gusev should be asking himself if Vegas is an organization to be trusted and/or has his best interest in mind. I mean it appears like they didnt even have a basic enculturation plan or service available for Shipachyov and his family.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
You’re missing the point as it pertains to Gusev.
Unlike other failed KHLrs, the significance of the Shipachyov saga is that Vegas seduced him on being the #1 center during contract negotiations, then dropped him in the AHL after 3 games.
From a NA perspective this might be business as usual (the contract is all that matters), but it’s a slap in the face to a Russian considering our business and negotiation culture rely heavily personal relations. Nobody likes being told something face-to-face then have it play out differently.

Gusev should be asking himself if Vegas is an organization to be trusted and/or has his best interest in mind. I mean it appears like they didnt even have a basic enculturation plan or service available for Shipachyov and his family.

Maybe Vegas should've coddled him and held his hand through the whole year. Not like this is the big boy league or anything.

Shipachev situation will have no bearing on Gusev's decision.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
I don't know.... Maybe the other Russians look at the situation objectively and think "Shippy's a good player, but I don't want NA GMs to think Russians are entitled and need an enculturation plan"
Vegas has had no other issues drawing free agents and/or extending acquisitions, so I think it's a stretch to say VGK Management is not trustworthy because one out of 20 something guys didn't pan out.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Any foreign player needs to understand that the league is not gonna hold your hand and wash your underwear. And unless you're the Wayne Gretzky of Russian players, no NHL coach is going to make concessions on said player doing whatever the f*** he wants without listening to instructions (which is seemingly exactly what Ship was expecting since even the AHL coach said he was refusing to listen to instructions and at one point stopped paying attention to the on ice translator altogether.)

If Gusev wants to be pampered he can stay in Russia for all I care.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Any foreign player needs to understand that the league is not gonna hold your hand and wash your underwear. And unless you're the Wayne Gretzky of Russian players, no NHL coach is going to make concessions on said player doing whatever the **** he wants without listening to instructions (which is seemingly exactly what Ship was expecting since even the AHL coach said he was refusing to listen to instructions and at one point stopped paying attention to the on ice translator altogether.)

If Gusev wants to be pampered he can stay in Russia for all I care.

Love to get mad about things possibly happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad