Confirmed with Link: Nikita Gusev (VGK) to NJD (2020 3rd, 2021 2nd)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
we just have to trust shero on this one. obviously the thing is gusev hasnt played an NHL game yet, so there is definitely some risk involved.
Do you remember the mania started AFTER people realized the Hawks landed a Panarin? Well, it was AFTER people realized(some needed some painful "he is a product of Kane"-disease treatment). AFTERWARDS GMs tried to find their own Panarin, i.e. an undrafted guy out of Russia who miraculously would become a PPG player in the NHL. Some of them failed with that strategy, because you have to actually scout to be the FIRST guy to know and not just a copypaster.

Gusev comes closest to the mold of a guy you should sign out of Russia and have no worries about it.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
i don't think we clash, stylistically. it's not like we're throwing together a ton of grinders with skill guys and fighters. that stupid fast attacking supportive thing is legitimately what we seem to be building towards

i do think we could still shore up the top pairing (greene still needs to be pushed down), but we'll see what we can do w our prospects. you have to admit the future is brighter, even if you do look at it with some tentativeness

It is extremely likely that Shero has one more trade to make, probably for a LD. Though Ty Smith is certainly NHL-ready -- I would deign to say that he will be better than Greene, Butcher or Mueller by the end of the 2019-20 campaign -- the Devils still lack an ideal pairing for Subban or Severson on the left side. Also, the Gusev acquisition ups the number of Devils trade chips. Very legitimate prospects like McLeod, Bastian, Anderson and Studenic have all seen their chances of making the 2019-20 Devils drop perilously with Gusev's addition -- not to mention Jesper Boqvist, who has higher value than any of them.

Following the IIHF tourney, I speculated that the Devils could try to make a play for LD Darnell Nurse, who looked outstanding in a pairing with Damon Severson. Nurse would also be a perfect partner for Subban -- capable offensively, excellent defensively and extremely physical. A hypothetical deal of Will Butcher, McLeod + Bastian would likely be more than enough to get Nurse playing alongside one of the Devils big 2 RD.

I certainly do not see the Devils making a play, as some have speculated, for another no-defense defenseman like Jake Gardiner. He will be asking a lot of money and it's been well-documented in Toronto what a horror show he is in his own end. NJ already has a similarly-styled LD in Will Butcher, and Butcher might be the guy to sacrifice to create more balance on the back end. The Devils need one more LD who can shut down the opposition and free up guys like Subban and Severson to create offense.

Ultimately, the Devils deserve great credit for an incredible off-season. The additions of Jack Hughes, PK Subban, Wayne Simmonds and Nikita Gusev were all outstanding acquisitions, and this team could be poised for a playoff run as early as next season -- while also retaining a strong foundation for the future. As we know, the big question still looms concerning the long-term signing of Taylor Hall. But all of Shero's savvy moves must absolutely be considered as impetus for Mr. Hall to stick around New Jersey for the foreseeable future.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Does Gusev play on the right?

I know I'm coming off like I hate this guy, I dont. I'm just tempering my expectations. The Datsyuk and Panarin comparisons are a little much to me, until he proves it in the NHL.
The Datsyuk comparison is a complete bleep. Just some guy who wanted to sound sensational. The Panarin comparison though is very reasonable. Especially while Gusev took Panarin's spot on the same team and nicely developed into the same level of player Panarin was in the KHL. I could dig up my posts from earlier years where I said Gusev was Panarin light with potential to reach Panarin's level and then where I saw him right there with Panarin.

Reactions: nugg and Khione

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Lol...no, I dont. Hes done **** all in the NHL yet, and until he proves it, I dont see how you play him over a guy who's proven his NHL worth right off the bat. This ain't the KHL

That's just a silly attitude. You dont have to see a player play exclusively in the NHL to know his relative skill level. To say Gusev shouldnt be slated above Bratt or Zacha as you have is foolish at best. Hell, even if Gusev "busts", his production will be better than Zacha.

Reactions: Khione

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
Why not? Elias had more points in 2000-2001 than Hall did in his MVP year and did it in a much more low-scoring league, and he was a better defensive player to boot.
I guess these would be discussions for another thread. In short, Patty was incredible but he also benefited from playing with Arnott and Sykora in their primes. He didn't single handedly carry that team the way Hall did. He also only had 3 more points with 6 more games played than Hall.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
So, Hall + Hischier + Hughes + Palmieri + Gusev + Bratt in the top-6 seems pretty set.

This gives us a 3rd line with Zajac and two of Wood, Simmonds, Coleman, and Zacha. The other two of them will have to play on the 4th line. Holy depth jesus.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I've followed the devil's religiously since the late 90s. Those guys mentioned are not on the same level skill wise as hall and Hughes.

Hughes hasn't played a game yet so I can't even go there. It of course depends upon 'what the skills' are - but I'd guess that if Hall was in a skills competition with the 4 aforementioned guys, he wouldn't win a single event. That isn't to say he wouldn't be 2nd in nearly all of them, but I think you sell those 4 guys short by a long shot.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Semi-pro KHL sports bettor here.

Gusev has Datsyuk type soft hands but even better passing ability. The best power play player I’ve seen. His hockey IQ is insane.

However he has notable weaknesses also. He’s quite slow skater and physically weak. He also doesn’t play as fast paced hockey that NHL’ers usually do. This is why he’s bigger risk than Panarin when he entered the league but the potential is the same. Gusev beat Panarin in SKA in terms of PPG.
Noone has better passing abilities than Datsyuk in this era. Otherwise I agree.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The Vegas organization has done a lot to ruin their reputation with Russians. Treated Shipachev like crap and then Gusev. Remember how they wouldn't play him when he arrived for the playoffs and they still lost in the first round?

Was excited to hear the news of this trade. Good young roster, Gusev will thrive.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad