Speculation: Nightmare Scenario

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Pretty sure the Sabres having a Miracle turnaround, finishing in the 8th seed, making the playoffs and making a run to the ECF finishing with the 26th pick would make a few posters cry.

UGH WE AREN'T GONNA GET ANYONE GOOD AT THE DRAFT. GAWD.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I don't care how great this draft is supposed to be. Any pick after 20 or so has about a 25-30% chance of being a regular NHL player, and much less chance of being an impact player. I trust Murray's talent evaluation, but that doesn't change what will be available to him late in the 1st rd or after.

I'll be disappointed with two picks in the 20s, or if Murray can't flip them to move up (which he probably won't be able to do). I want one of those picks to end up in the 10-15 range. If not it won't mean Buffalo won't progress in the re-build...it just won't be quite the haul we were hoping for.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Show me a team with a 20 year old no. 1 center that isn't top end elite that is a playoff contender...
You're implying one of either the following are the only possible outcomes:
1) BUF misses out on McEichel, and can't make the playoffs with SR as #1 center 2 years from now.
1B) ...And therefore must take drastic measures because they are doomed.

2) BUF drafts McEichel and (by default) makes the playoffs the following season.
2B) ...And should immediately improve probability of successful rebuild and/or accelerate the rebuild by trading many Sabres prospects to return non-home-grown-players to pair with McEichel.

My response: There are many more possibilities.

Is strokes saying there's no way either MG or SR can be as good as one of these 16 in two seasons?
:)
I think its a combo of that and a belief on his part that the #1 center will need to carry his team to make the playoffs. He can correct me if I'm wrong but thats my take on his stance.

I think getting McDavid speeds up the rebuilding process. By how much I don't know but taking an alarmist postion if we don't get McEichel doesn't work for me. There are an infinite amount of ways to rebuild. We just have to keep acquiring talent however we can and wait a few years.
Exactly.

===================================
Ignoring the "many possibilities" outcome if the "doomsday scenario" happens, I'm not worried one iota about the Sabres draft position. Buffalo is an epically bad team. I know they've played quality opponents, but Carolina will not challenge them in the long run. BUF has 1 shootout win and only 1 regulation win. They won in regulation by only allowing 1 goal on 15 shots. They were averaging ~40 shots against before that game. As others noted, despite their current injuries, Caronlina will improve. I simply can't imagine 2 NHL squads as poor as the Sabres this season in possession and shot differential. Statistically, BUF will struggle to score this season and their record will reflect that. Carolina is a bad team, for sure, but by season's end, will finish ahead of Buffalo.

And if the Sabres draft Hanifin, so be it. The Canadiens played the better part of the 1970s with Larry Robinson, Guy Lapointe, and Serge Savard each playing ~40 minutes a night. Show me a current NHL team who's success is inhibitted by too many #1 d-men.

This season's true nightmare scenario is a broken leg / bad concussion to one of Reinhart, Risto, Girgs, Grigs, Zadarov, Meyers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad