Speculation: Nightmare Scenario

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not trolling. That's the luxury of having a keystone player. You fit in everything around them. That's also the luxury of having all of this depth. If you move one player out, you have another prospect to fill the void.

The only potential moves I see McDavid enabling would be IF there was a good deal for the Sabres involving Grigorenko or Reinhart.

Beyond that, I don't see McDavid enabling anything. Especially when it comes to D.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Nightmare scenario - you finish last, and suck this year.

Non-Nightmare scenario - you don't finish last, and don't suck this year.

Should really shoot for option B, instead of A...

Clock

May 13, 2006
If you could go from 6-12 mediocrity to playoff contention in three or four years, every team would be doing it.

We just got Reinhart. I'm still thrilled with that. If we don't get one of the big two, we aren't suddenly hosed.

Strange to say "don't get greedy" in reference to a team that's performing like it is currently, but don't get greedy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Nightmare scenario - you finish last, and suck this year.

Non-Nightmare scenario - you don't finish last, and don't suck this year.

Should really shoot for option B, instead of A...

tank2a.jpg

Not sucking is not an option for this team.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
No doubt, missing out on McEichel would SUUUUUUUUUCK. But it wouldn't be the end of the world.

You take BPA. Hanifin, Kylington, Barzal, Strome, Konecny, Sprong... all legit. Our cupboard is stacked as is, and come June, the hinges are gonna get blown off. McEichel or not, we just gotta stay focused on development. Then when the timing's right, TM will get aggressive, tap into the surplus and make a move or two (i.e. - blockbuster trade(s)/FA signing(s)) that rights the ship.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
If you could go from 6-12 mediocrity to playoff contention in three or four years, every team would be doing it.

We just got Reinhart. I'm still thrilled with that. If we don't get one of the big two, we aren't suddenly hosed.

Strange to say "don't get greedy" in reference to a team that's performing like it is currently, but don't get greedy.

Again, this will be the 4th draft since we began adding all of these prospects. This has already been a long process.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Again, this will be the 4th draft since we began adding all of these prospects. This has already been a long process.

It's irrelevant when we started adding the prospects. Having prospects doesn't put us at some magical point where we turn it around. The team can't and won't be good until enough of those prospects are NHL contributors. Right now we have Girgensons, Reinhart, and Ristolainen on the team. The fact remains we have very little at the NHL level right now.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
It's irrelevant when we started adding the prospects. Having prospects doesn't put us at some magical point where we turn it around. The team can't and won't be good until enough of those prospects are NHL contributors. Right now we have Girgensons, Reinhart, and Ristolainen on the team. The fact remains we have very little at the NHL level right now.

According to Darcy, trading Gaustad was the start of the rebuild. So that's were I am standing.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Not trolling. That's the luxury of having a keystone player. You fit in everything around them. That's also the luxury of having all of this depth. If you move one player out, you have another prospect to fill the void.

it's a totally nonsense position to take (everyone being expendable after getting McDavid)... but it makes sense if evaluating talent is not something you are good at.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey

2015 draft will be the third since bottoming out. When they drafted MG & ZG the team was just outside the playoffs.
Most teams average 5 years of drafting near the bottom before starting to turn it around.

You're being illogical because you're impatient.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
According to Darcy, trading Gaustad was the start of the rebuild. So that's were I am standing.

Trading a 4th liner does not start a rebuild, but it doesn't matter when the rebuild started. If we started stockpiling prospects 50 years ago what does that change if our prospect pool and roster are the same as they are in reality? This team's rise is predicated primarily on the development of the prospects we have right now. That doesn't change because of where you choose to consider the rebuild to have started.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
2015 draft will be the third since bottoming out. When they drafted MG & ZG the team was just outside the playoffs.
Most teams average 5 years of drafting near the bottom before starting to turn it around.

You're being illogical because you're impatient.

Tim Murray: "I don't believe in 5 year rebuilds."

Most teams don't have half the 1st and 2nd round picks we had, either.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Tim Murray was here for 0 years when he said that. Tim Murray was asked how long it will take to turn it around. He obviously doesn't think it will take 5 years for us to be on the rise, nor does anyone else here.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Tim Murray: "I don't believe in 5 year rebuilds. So we better get lucky and land McEichel, or else we are screwed"

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Tim Murray was here for 0 years when he said that. Tim Murray was asked how long it will take to turn it around. He obviously doesn't think it will take 5 years for us to be on the rise, nor does anyone else here.

He also said he doesn't plan on worrying about the draft lottery in 2016.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If we drafted Draisaitl, who you said was the next Getzlaf... would we still desperately need McEichel?

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He also said he doesn't plan on worrying about the draft lottery in 2016.

Nor should he. Pretty much everyone is on the same page as that. After this draft you make some moves that balance the short-term and long-term better than the moves we've made before that. That doesn't mean he thinks we're suddenly in the playoff hunt next year.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014

Every statement anybody ever makes to the media is written in stone like a commandment. It is the absolute truth, because, it's not like the brand new GM would say anything publicly to give a good impression.

Clock

May 13, 2006

I'm of the mind that the commitment to a rebuild didn't begin until the Pominville trade / Ruff firing / etc, but it's a moot point.

I'm actually fine with the progress of the rebuild so far. The NHL team is a complete slog and I wish was more at the point of an entertaining gang of youngsters who consistently get eeked out than nightly domination, but the bigger picture is the prospect pool's development. Clearly we already have some awesome pieces in the pipeline and are going to completely fill the cupboards with this coming draft.

Getting McDavid or Eichel is an amazing way to ice the cake, but we're not doomed if, poor us, we "only" land Hanifin. Not nightmarish at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad