Post-Game Talk: Niemi with the worst performance I've ever seen by a Habs goalie in 6-5 loss to Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
True but I think the goals on Vasilevsky overall were better quality plus we outshot them. Certainly a couple good takeaways from the loss. We still should’ve won. I heard Price’s return date is in doubt now, so I really don’t know what they’ll do. No idea when Lindgren will be ready either.

No argument here. The way I see it, Niemi lost us the 2 points and a comedy of errors and poor decisions from bench to goalie lost us the loser point.

Reactions: ArsHabs

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Plus a message needs to be sent. Sick of coaches giving veterans a pass on awful performances just because they are vets. Sorry, but Niemi doesn’t only deserve to sit after the last performance, he deserves to be waived for his season.
Vets and players under contract have always got that treatment. Niemi situation nothing new. Out side the crease players can string it out for much longer than Niemi will. Tomas Plekanec poster boy for over paid vet who should be a healthy scratch yet plays every night. DD went something like 50 games without a goal and was STILL on the powerplay. :laugh: Like those two floaters, Niemi will have the odd lucky game. Although back goalies are in a much shorter leash.

Last edited:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Price in AHL 2.69 gaa after 10 games...then jumped to NHL same year
went 24 win 12 loses
2.56 gaa/921sv% in NHL

McNiven..10 AHL games ..2.59 gaa
Now in NHL..Throw him in and lets go for it ...IT'S SHOW TIME

Never forget the words of Don Cherry ...

Meet the Canadiens prospect Don Cherry says is as good as Carey Price

(fast forward the video to the 3 minutes and 53 second mark)
“I had Carey Price in the [annual CHL] prospect game and I thought he was terrific. This guy [McNiven] is as good as Price right now.”

Last edited:
Reactions: cphabs

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
They played a big part of the third in their own end though. Not sure anyone could have done anything. Mete could take a big part of the blame on the tying goal I think it was. He didn’t tie up his man. I think no matter what, Niemi was determined to lose that game anyway
I was talking more in general when up by one. I would have the same questionning if TB hadn't score. As for Niemi I would have thought about pulling him after the two shots from outside the blue line where he had trouble stopping it. It was clear his confidence/focus was off. I understand that Julien might need Niemi further down the line (esp. if Price is injured more seriously) and that he didn't want to put an ECHer in the net for him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That what i say..McNiven stats in Ahl are right along Carey Price in Ahl...to start him in Dallas isn't a crazy thing...

He is 21 yrs old...and the time is right ....
Makes sense to me. Always cool to see our young prospects and we might as well use him now.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Nimie wasn't good, and he hasn't been good this year but he has gotten us points (and cost us), but its not fair to ask your BACK UP to play back 2 back games with game number 2 against the best team in the league. Most starters don't play b2b's (all though its becoming more popular) so asking your back up??

Going into the game I think everyone expected Nieme to let in 4+, it just hurts that we had the lead 3 times and had a point in the bag before the final few minutes.

Question is is it worth it to give up some assets and maybe create some waiver issues to get a back up that might only be slightly better than Niemi if at all? Nieme is not playing like last year the clock struck midnight but I think that is probably the teams least worries and using any assets would be better served on other areas. Most likely Price plays what 30 out of the next 41 games? maybe even 35 ? Of course if he isn't injured for the rest of the season.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
While the score was close, and Niemi DID LOSE it for us, Vas was complete horse turd last night. Not saying we’d lose for sure, but goaltending on both teams would keep coaches up at night.

There was maybe one goal you could say Vasi had no chance on. He was awful. It was a first save kind of game.

Reactions: PaulD

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nimie wasn't good, and he hasn't been good this year but he has gotten us points (and cost us), but its not fair to ask your BACK UP to play back 2 back games with game number 2 against the best team in the league. Most starters don't play b2b's (all though its becoming more popular) so asking your back up??

Going into the game I think everyone expected Nieme to let in 4+, it just hurts that we had the lead 3 times and had a point in the bag before the final few minutes.

Question is is it worth it to give up some assets and maybe create some waiver issues to get a back up that might only be slightly better than Niemi if at all? Nieme is not playing like last year the clock struck midnight but I think that is probably the teams least worries and using any assets would be better served on other areas. Most likely Price plays what 30 out of the next 41 games? maybe even 35 ? Of course if he isn't injured for the rest of the season.

Nimie, Nieme, Niemi. What's in a name?

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
We've officially reached the point where the kids have forgotten Redlight Racicot and J.C Bergeron.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Such a sad ending for us. But we played amazing and hopefully they can use the loss as motivation.

KK is an elite talent. He sees the ice at that next level only few do. Can't wait to see his career unfold.

Shaw has been so much better this year, starting to really like him.

Loving that oehkonLe is getting points too.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
get rid of auntie now

There isn't one game that Auntie has played this year, where he gave up less than 3 goals:

Capture-d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran-2018-12-29-%C3%A0-20.55.45-600x379.png

I wonder where Auntie stacks up relative to other back-up goalies with a similar number of games played this season.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
every #2 is suggested by some fans to be better than price. the hamburgular, niemi, lindrgen, condon. It's idiotic, but it happens every time.

our cart is tied to carey price, for better or worse because its still better ( by an order of magnitude) better than hitching it to one of those other jabronis.
certainly aint hooked to the first line or the D

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Charlie Lindgren's their future backup. Just plain bad luck he's also injured, otherwise the chances were almost 100% he would've started one of the two Florida games.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
didn't want to start anything with Drouin, just that I saw Segrachev had an assist and since he did get benched one game two weeks ago I was curious if he had played better. He's on pace for 28 pts so a noticeable drop from last year's big season but if he doesn't improve his defensive game then he'll struggle to be a top 4. As a big supporter of Timmins I try to follow all his draft picks as i've always said I thought he would at least look a little better if the Habs had a better development system in place starting with hiring a head coach that actually had been a head coach before being hired. Now that's been fixed this summer, if we can only stop rushing these kids to the NHL hopefully our development will show better results as I'm very impressed not only with Bouchard but also Daniel Jacob as I assume he's the one coaching the D as they play so much more structured defensive hockey.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
There isn't one game that Auntie has played this year, where he gave up less than 3 goals:

Capture-d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran-2018-12-29-%C3%A0-20.55.45-600x379.png

I wonder where Auntie stacks up relative to other back-up goalies with a similar number of games played this season.

of all goalies to play 10 or more games this season ,his 4.22 GAA avg is the worst in NHL

few examples...all these goalies have played exactly 10 games...

Montreal back up Niemi 4.22 gaa
Winnipeg back up Laurent Brossoit 2.11 Gaa
Anaheim back up Ryan Miller 2.71 gaa
Wild back up Alex Stalock 2.60 gaa

Reactions: Runner77

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
62 goalies have played 10 or more games this season...
Neimi 4.22 GAA is 62nd place....

Only 1 other goalie out of those 62 that have played 10 or more games has a GAA above 4.oo ..
Calvin Pickard 4.01 GAA

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I'm going to the game in Dallas tomorrow. Any idea who is starting in net? My son is crushed that Price is not playing...

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Niemi cannot start another game...If Price is out a long time who could be availaible?

At this point you give it to McNiven....why?
Because Price will be injured again next year
and again the next year....at some point you gotta look the other way...

TIME TO PLAN AHEAD....develop McNiven and consider eating salary to move ..or the buyout when the new CBA gets done.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad