Post-Game Talk: Niemi with the worst performance I've ever seen by a Habs goalie in 6-5 loss to Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
our problem is this...

We got a top of the line sports car....but every year we bring it out to drive it,its suspension system breaks down....When you get to the point you bank on it breaking down every year, the time becomes to look at doing something else...

Time to develop McNiven in NHL,and hope he is more durable .....
still wondering why we resigned niemi
lindgren was ok

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
still wondering why we resigned niemi
lindgren was ok

Hawks connection ..Stanley Cup /Waite etc...

..and they wanted an experienced guy to take over if Price went down for long stretch....Price went down both years with injuries...but Nemei has gone down this year too...

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
We lost, Niemi was pretty poor (but not as bad as you all make him appear), our defensive structure was downright terrible, we forechecked very hard while backchecking poorly, but most important of all, TB has a LOT more talent than us so trying to play run-and-gun against them is tantamount to intentionally losing the game (and that's exactly what we did).

That said, we showed fire and guts in coming back from behind twice to make the game interesting, and the effort level was there, so we can't be too mad as it's a loss a thousand times better than what we saw most of the time last year.

Reactions: scrubadam

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Niemi wasn't good and his stats aren't good, but he did get us the win against FLA a game ago. Lets keep in mind we are playing the best offense and team in the NHL with Kuch, Stamkos, Hedman, Stralman, McD, Point, Gourde and so on. TB lighting up our back up on b2b shouldnt be shocking us.

I am not saying Nieme has been great this year but I don't think we need to panic as long as Price isn't out long term. Dallas isn't TB and they are a mess right now. Can't compare them to TB.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
We lost, Niemi was pretty poor (but not as bad as you all make him appear), our defensive structure was downright terrible, we forechecked very hard while backchecking poorly, but most important of all, TB has a LOT more talent than us so trying to play run-and-gun against them is tantamount to intentionally losing the game (and that's exactly what we did).

That said, we showed fire and guts in coming back from behind twice to make the game interesting, and the effort level was there, so we can't be too mad as it's a loss a thousand times better than what we saw most of the time last year.

Seriously.

What should we expect going against the best team in the league and one of the if not the most talented. Even with Price in nets it would of been a tough game. And now its our back up who just won the night before playing again.

The fact that we out shot and put up 5 is encouraging, and this was with Domi/Drouin having a cold game and no Price. This game showed me that a playoff series could be more interesting than we think. Not saying a win but maybe a chance to be competative?

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Seriously.

What should we expect going against the best team in the league and one of the if not the most talented. Even with Price in nets it would of been a tough game. And now its our back up who just won the night before playing again.

The fact that we out shot and put up 5 is encouraging, and this was with Domi/Drouin having a cold game and no Price. This game showed me that a playoff series could be more interesting than we think. Not saying a win but maybe a chance to be competative?

Yup. Even though we lost it was nice to see we can stand up to TB without getting our behinds handily handed to us.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
MT had a system?

yxl13.gif

zgg05.gif

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

No, it was actually really, really bad goaltending. I have to go back a long ways to think of a comparable performance.

When stralman scored his goal, it looked like a flashback to decades ago. He couldn't handle any puck thrown his way without providing a juicy rebound. I mean stralman had it figured out on the game tying goal. He provides Niemi with an absolute muffin, but he somehow provides a rebound out of it and the game is tied.

He couldn't even contain shots from the neutral zone, and was lucky not to concede one.

Someone called Niemi a drunk octopus prior to last night's game, and that's what he kept reminding me of.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Not a goalie night. HABS look better this year and I like that there is balance and no particular stars . Just play good as a unit most of the game. Bolts just keep winning on this streak. When our D plays bad and Vasi is human the offense is just the best and can make it happen on all 4 lines.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Are you acting like a .904 is good? Or even decent? He's in the bottom 50% of the league. If you filter it by 15 games minimum, he's even lower. Goals Against, he's bottom half of the league as well.

I'll be fair, Price has been getting better lately. He was below .900 not too long ago as well though. His weak defense definitely attributes to that, but this isn't a small sample size. He was a .900 SV% goalie last year as well with a high GAA. It's 80 games now.

I don't think just because he was the best goalie in the league (and world) for quite a few years, he gets a pass. I don't blame him for accepting the contract (like someone else suggested), he'd have been stupid not too. Especially because he's not an elite goalie anymore.

He earned turning a blind eye for last season. Not this season. Hopefully his slightly rising SV% and hopefully we can acquire a defenseman means he'll be a solid starting NHL goalie going forward. Weber has seemingly helped improve his stats very slightly.

You said we'd be a top team with better goal tending. Sure we'd be slightly better , but top team? Not with that defense and those special teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad