Waived: Nicolas Aube Kubel - Update: Claimed by Capitals

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
How can any owners be okay with that. Then again, the owner is also paying a coach millions of dollars for sitting at home doing nothing.

I assume they are not and that's part of why he hasn't been renewed yet

A fourth line vet signed to a one year deal for competition and being supplanted by internal talent is the natural order of things.

Has he really been supplanted our bottom 6 is trash.

Also it's not really internal talent, just others from the island of misfit toys

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I agree...we seem to be way more miss than hit when it comes to these Pro players and the value deals they sign them to.
This season, yes. Bc we either signed or traded for ZAR, NAK, Benn, Mete, Murray, Calle and Sammy. Only Mete and Sammy are showing they can play. Calle is okay. ZAR is coming around.
Last season was pretty good, only
Ritchie was the only bust while the rest played well and useful.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
So what's next?

What is Kyle Dubas' end game here?

Is he going to shop around to fill that bottom spot, use a Marlie, or is he clearing space for a Robertson trade for a top 4 D?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How can any owners be okay with that. Then again, the owner is also paying a coach millions of dollars for sitting at home doing nothing.

Because it's the nature of billion dollar industries like pro sports.

At one point earlier on in the rebuild the Leafs were paying something like 15+ mil a year between Marlies demotions + buyouts + Robidas Island situations for guys to not play for the Leafs.

GMs have a big budget to play around with; they're just not going to be micromanaged by ownership unless they start exceeding it.

Reactions: Kiwi and The Podium

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Opens up a contract spot but no idea if much else will happen now.
It would allow us to have a 3rd available goalie under contract should another injury occur. I believe at the moment Sam & Kall are the only two healthy and under contract.

Reactions: Burnie97

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Expected this, made sense to grab a grinder from a cup winner, he didn't translate his game here, so good luck in Wash, we lose nothing and gain a contract spot. Hopefully this can be the precursor to an upcoming move.
Avs aren't exactly known for having a good GM.
Playing him 67 games and then in the playoffs?
What a joke.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Who cares that the contract was buriable? He was a first day signing in the summer that was supposed to impact the team positively at the bottom of the lineup. He was supposed to supplant Simmonds and Clifford as a hitter who could take a regular shift. His position hasn't been filled internally. There's a revolving door on the team's 4th line because other under performers are untouchable. He didn't play that bad. I'd bet that something else was going on with the player.

Reactions: GoonieFace

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
This season, yes. Bc we either signed or traded for ZAR, NAK, Benn, Mete, Murray, Calle and Sammy. Only Mete and Sammy are showing they can play. Calle is okay. ZAR is coming around.
Last season was pretty good, only
Ritchie was the only bust while the rest played well and useful.

Mrazek?

In terms of players that were on NHL rosters last year we signed

Mrazek
Kampf
Bunting
Ritchie
Amadio ( remember he started the year)
Kase

So we went 3/6 ( Kase at least was useable)

This year were what?

Zar
Murray
Samsonov
Malgin
Benn
Mete
Nak
Jarnkrok

1 good ( samsonov)

4 useable ( mete, Malgin, mete, jarnkrok)

3 trash/ injured

Bunting, Kampf, Kase, Samsonov, Mete

Seems like it’s working to me

Kase was ok but like Murray he was injury prone going in and stayed injury prone

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Mrazek?

In terms of players that were on NHL rosters last year we signed

Mrazek
Kampf
Bunting
Ritchie
Amadio ( remember he started the year)
Kase

So we went 3/6 ( Kase at least was useable)

This year were what?

Zar
Murray
Samsonov
Malgin
Benn
Mete
Nak
Jarnkrok

1 good ( samsonov)

4 useable ( mete, Malgin, mete, jarnkrok)

3 trash/ injured

Kase was ok but like Murray he was injury prone going in and stayed injury prone

Now compare it to other teams

Bunting was a grand slam. Kampf was a home run. Kase was good value. Amadio was lost on waivers but has been a NHL regular. Ritchie and Mrazek were terrible.

This year... None have been bad other than NAK who is now gone. All average to good for the most part.

The beautiful thing about signing depth/min league players is if they suck, there's really no downside.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Now compare it to other teams
What other teams sign 56 league min guys a year and hope some stick. Let me look for a second but I would assume others hit rate is more successful due to what we're trying to do with the B6

Tampa just because we want to emulate their success

Last year
Elliott
Bogo
Bellarme
Legacy
Perry
Dumont ( don't know if it counts but I'll add to be fair)

Legacy and dumont being the ones that didn't work out
4/6

Bruins
Foligno
Ullmark
Forbort
Huala
Nosek

4/5

Canes
Diangelo
Anderson
Raanta
Kotkeinemi

Stepan

Smith
Levio

5 hits 1 meh 2 misses

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What other teams sign 56 league min guys a year and hope some stick. Let me look for a second but I would assume others hit rate is more successful due to what we're trying to do with the B6

You're so focused on the Leafs and you have no idea that teams sign these players all the time. Most teams sign a lot of depth players... Some are good, some average, some are bad. Most are waived. Some are picked up, some are not.

You'll come to the realization that most teams have plenty of misses. Some of them are huge anchor misses.

ChadBigly

May 5, 2021
Pro scouts don't cost any cap space or contract numbers so how about carefully hiring some good scouts to reduce all the mistakes they've made evaluating players they acquire and players they've mistakenly traded away that have found success with their new teams?
Pffft, long term thinking. Get a load of this guy...

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
You're so focused on the Leafs and you have no idea that teams sign these players all the time. Most teams sign a lot of depth players... Some are good, some average, some are bad. Most are waived. Some are picked up, some are not.

You'll come to the realization that most teams have plenty of misses. Some of them are huge anchor misses.

Look at the above post

We miss more then others.

No one in the league signs 12 guys to put on the 4th line to see what sticks

Also our middle money signings are horrific.

In the last two years we've had 1 that is maybe working out

Over 2 mil the last two years

Ritchie
Mrazek
Murray
Jarnkrok

We're 1/4 the difference is because our cap is mismanaged we make more dart throws. We've forced ourselves into those and we have a 50% hit rate. That's why we're so disjointed this year our team is made up of 2 cohesive units and two that consistently switch.

Arguably 19-20 was the best dart throw season as most of those at least stuck with us

We would probably have a better success rate if we didn't light 5 mil on fire last year and 10 this through poor mid range signings and inaction on kerfoot ( or jarnkrok we don't need both), Muzzin ( he needed replacing due to injury history everyone could see that) and Holl

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Tampa just because we want to emulate their success

Bruins
Foligno
Ullmark
Forbort
Huala
Nosek

4/5

Pardon?
1667682570034.png

1667682439881.png

Attachments