Waived: Nicolas Aube Kubel - Update: Claimed by Capitals

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In a 22 hour time span in the middle of a back to back on a weekend? We weren’t lucky to have cleared the contract beforehand?

One thing that crossed my mind was, apparently the team tried to trade him the week prior. I wonder if the capitals mentioned that they pick him up on waivers for free, but wouldnt move anything of value in a trade.

Then again, may have also just ended up as luck

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One thing that crossed my mind was, apparently the team tried to trade him the week prior. I wonder if the capitals mentioned that they pick him up on waivers for free, but wouldnt move anything of value in a trade.

Then again, may have also just ended up as luck

Just feels like we got extremely lucky there in the midst of some back luck. Otherwise the team could have been over a barrel and otherwise otherwise forced to do something they didn’t want to overnight. Now we just need some good luck on Samsonov.

Reactions: Menzinger

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
This will be like when the leafs gave up on Steve Sullivan this will sting them down the road.
Really dude? Give your hairy troll head a shake. NAK is in no way shape or form going to turn into Steve Sullivan. I remember that deal and I was pissed when it went down. And i was right to be as it turned out. This will be a blip in a long season that will be long forgotten in less than a month.

Reactions: Its not your fault

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Malgin has been good.

I doubt many, if there are any other NHL teams, with better veteran experienced NHL D’s as their number 9 on the depths charts as Mete. I’d like to see your list of better #9 D, who would be happy in his role.

ZAR had a questionable start, but has been decent the last few games. Judgment is premature, we need to see if THIS level of play can continue.

Gaudette has been a good depth signing, though I’d guess you haven’t seen him play. 8 goals and 2 assists in 10 games with the Marlies, playing with a lot of heart and grit. Based on his play, he’ll be decent depth injury replacement if called upon.

Murray can’t be moved and it might be necessary anyway. Another premature discussion point.

I haven’t been happy with Jarnkrok, we certainly need better from him.

Imagine not signing veteran depth, and relying on prospects? These Karen’s would be complaining about that too. You sign a bunch of replacement level players, with buriable contracts.. some work, some don’t. Every team does it. They go on waivers, some get claimed, some don’t..
I think there's a reason that there is such a high failure rate for Leafs wingers who are brought in from outside. It seems that when they leave here they re-find their own level of success.
Is it possible that Keefes schemes are hard to pick up when you've never played them before? Nick Ritchie was a semi passable NHL lw, but when he came here it never looked like he knew where to be, almost as if he'd never played the game before.
They're people here that watch the team on a regular basis that don't quite understand his offensive zone rotations, switch offs or even cycle schemes. It must be pretty tough to get to where you're supposed to be while some 210 lb meat head Dman is trying to take your head off.
Look at Robbie last night he had some great chances but most of the time looked lost, he had some real problems getting open. He too often got tangled up in coverage instead of shearing off and finding seams.
There's a lot of stuff going on out there and it's as close to pre-planned as it can be.

snipes29

Sep 24, 2022
part of winning a cup is trial and error. Hardly no GM in the history of the game has won off of their original vision. Part of what makes some GM's so successful is their ability to adapt. This is just another example of Kyle doing so. I can understand why people may not agree with his philosophy on how a team should be built, but I don't understand how people can look at his willingness to go back against his original vision as a bad thing. So many times we have seen GM's live and die by "their guys".

it takes a man to be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them. This may be the preamble to something just like that.

And if you need another example:

Mistake: Signing Nick Ritchie
Problem: Money tied up to non-performing player left vacancies on the back end
Correction: Move Ritchie + pick for Lybushkin

Zero ego involved, just on the fly problem solving. Not many GM's are that willing to contradict themselves. And before anyone goes on to say "well he shouldn't need to correct himself if he didn't make the mistake in the first place", as if they weren't happy with the signing of a Stanley Cup player who plays with jam. Not even mentioning the countless signings he does well with.

Again, I have no problem with people having different viewpoints on Kyle vs. the one I have. I just feel like comments like yours are just lazy attempts to throw shade at a person you don't like. I just don't understand how waiving NAK can be viewed as a negative.
Zero WINS IN 6 STRAIGHT FIRST PLAYOFF ROUNDS ,yep great job lose key players to roster every year under your boy Dumbass , horrible drafts , even worse trades . Yep"'hes built a good team" lmao Bargin bin deals year in and year out cause Kyle is a farce. Nice move signing Petruzzelli , lol had to put a roster player on waivers and lost him for nothing to Capitals lol Brilliant ???? The mark of success is winning, period.

• Haha
Reactions: Metroid

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Zero WINS IN 6 STRAIGHT FIRST PLAYOFF ROUNDS ,yep great job lose key players to roster every year under your boy Dumbass , horrible drafts , even worse trades . Yep"'hes built a good team" lmao Bargin bin deals year in and year out cause Kyle is a farce. Nice move signing Petruzzelli , lol had to put a roster player on waivers and lost him for nothing to Capitals lol Brilliant ???? The mark of success is winning, period.
WINNING
Didn't the team set a franchise record last year for winning?

And are you calling the GM out for signing Petruzzelli?
A free wallet former third round pick that now finds himself with the big club as the top 3 goalies in the Org are injured.

And are you complaining because he signed a player for free and lost him for free all in a couple months...geez that is really too bad. A fireable offense no doubt.

Dubas has only been around for 4 playoffs as the GM.

And you need to wait a bit longer to see if his drafts produce results....be patient.

Reactions: kb and Chindis

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Really dude? Give your hairy troll head a shake. NAK is in no way shape or form going to turn into Steve Sullivan. I remember that deal and I was pissed when it went down. And i was right to be as it turned out. This will be a blip in a long season that will be long forgotten in less than a month.
Yah Sully played well for them before hand. Had some excitement to his game, I think it was a bad give away that cost him if I remember correctly.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
We're losing our minds over a 12min a night guy because why? If he's the solution to anything here, why didnt he solve it while he was here?

exactly, no one cares about the adam brooks / michael amadio unless 4th liners, that accomplish nothing.
they offereded him to EVERY SINGLE NHL team for probably a 7th round pick and everyone said no. what does that tell u about the player ?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

You mean 25 year old Steve Sullivan to Chicago?

Not saying it is, but wouldn't the more likely comparison be Malgin = Sullivan?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad