Nico v. Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This is a good poster (Jets fan) and knows what he is talking about most of the time, I think. He said this:

There is a precedent set out that SH injuries actually affect those in the 30+ year old range a lot more than they do an 18 year old kid. Sure there is some risk there but not nearly as much as there would be if he was older.

Interestingly enough though he didn't miss a single game in last years 72 game - 102 point run. So while it's been stated he's missed a lot of time in the last few seasons it's really only been since last years playoffs. Where he got the hernia, recovered, started the season strong and then had a shoulder injury. There may be some risk there but I do think it is overblown. He's just had a string of bad luck I think.

It eases my mind a little. Still want Nico, but it relaxes me some.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm not willing to risk saying nice things about another teams prospect so I won't say who I prefer right now, just in case the Devils take him.

I will say that, if I had to guess, I definitely think the Devils take Patrick. The size and skill combo there is going to be too hard for an NHL GM to pass on, even if Hischier is more dynamic. We have the easy job of scooping up whoever is left.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm not willing to risk saying nice things about another teams prospect so I won't say who I prefer right now, just in case the Devils take him.

I will say that, if I had to guess, I definitely think the Devils take Patrick. The size and skill combo there is going to be too hard for an NHL GM to pass on, even if Hischier is more dynamic. We have the easy job of scooping up whoever is left.

I also think the fact that they will be sitting here thinking about it for the next seven weeks or so is going to play into that. I hope.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
This is a good poster (Jets fan) and knows what he is talking about most of the time, I think. He said this:

It eases my mind a little. Still want Nico, but it relaxes me some.

Even if Patrick tends to get nicked up from time to time, the Flyers will have impressive depth center depth to cover it. Voroybov strikes me as a guy who can play up and down the lineup as needed. Thens there's Rubtsov who might now get moved to wing with Couturier, Giroux, Voroybov and now Patrick/Hirschier who can also fill the top line center spot when needed.

The Flyers should be set long term at center now.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Something very important is also that both guys have goal scoring abilities. They are like like a Barzal for example.

Ohhh....how does our PP change with each guy. Nico could replace Jake. Nolan on the top unit...not really a fit the way it's currently set up.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Also, if we pick Nico, we'll have an excuse to buy sweet Swiss sweaters. They almost always come up with something cool.

nike-2010-winter-olympics-switzerland-red-tackle-twill-replica-hockey-jersey.jpeg

dgvepzjqxkp082enxz2l.jpg

swiss_national_team_hockey_jersey_sewn_new_any_name_size_524d0823_76200.jpg

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Let me begin my post with this:

giphy.gif

Voting in this thread makes me the stereotypical uninformed poster. At the best of times, I have a passing understanding of which prospect I like better. Here? Not a clue beyond what others here have posted.

I know nothing about these guys because I never thought we'd have a shot

Yep, it's like asking oneself which supermodel to take to the prom.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I like Hischier better, but it is probably because I am more familiar with him, and watched him more... He is so skilled, talented and dynamic, which is hard to not like, reminds of Giroux. And at the age of 18, he's already bigger than Giroux.

What a ****ing good problem to have!

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I am both still in shock and have no clue who to pick. I am going to just chill and soak this all in and what it means for us and the future of our team:popcorn:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Patrick seems to be a well rounded offensive player. Plus shot and playmaking abilities.

Hischier is more of a playmaker but can score goals.

Just to add to this, what I have just been reading is that Patrick is very good two-way, has a wicked wrist shot, and has the groin of an 80-year-old man - Nico seems like more of a flashy offensive player and skater, smaller than Patrick by two inches and I don't know how many pounds, but is nonetheless responsible at both ends.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I went with Patrick. Seems like he has the lower floor and appears at least to be the "safer" pick, despite the injury concerns. That being said, I think the Devils take him and we get Nico and I won't have any issue with that whatsoever.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I went with Patrick. Seems like he has the lower floor and appears at least to be the "safer" pick, despite the injury concerns. That being said, I think the Devils take him and we get Nico and I won't have any issue with that whatsoever.

Do you mean higher floor?

Its hard to imagine Patrick as anything worse than a two-way 2C, right? I guess I could imagine Hischier not sticking at center and becoming a scoring second-line winger.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I was all Nico yesterday, and today I'm all Nolan. Glad we don't have to live with making the decision

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Meh. I'm still more excited to see Lindblom come over than either of these guys next year. Two years from now, that's another story!

Seriously, this is getting ridiculous, they already had Lindblom, Morin, Sanheim, maybe Hagg as possible additions, now they're going to add a NHL ready 18 year old?

Meanwhile Laughton is making a case for himself as a legitmate prospect.

It's tough being a Flyers fan today.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
for one day i don't hate you guys..... rangers lose devils and flyers #1 and #2 I'm buying....

flyers suck ...congrats

Evergreen

The Flyers just got the Easiest pick in the draft.

Literally...just have the scouts focus on rounds 2-7 now. Congrats guys.

That's a good point. Having the 2nd pick and knowing that we'll almost certainly take whomever the Devils don't take of Patrick and Hischier allows the scouts to really focus on the many picks we have in round 2-7.

FlyingSlovak

Feb 20, 2014
Slovakia
I will be happy with either. I voted Nico though. I saw him play versus Slovakia on u18, he assisted on the only Swiss goal. That was a beauty. Commentator went like "...and this is why Hishier is considered top prospect". But I try not to jump on his bandwaggon too hard in case the devils pick him:laugh: ofc, nothing wrong with picking Patrick :)

Edit: watching that game I remember being jealous to that team able to draft him. Good times to be a flyers fan I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad