Nico, only player on the Devils to finish even

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Nico Hischier was the only regular roster player on the Devils to finish the season with an even plus/minus... I know people don't like the plus/minus stat, but I think this is a very good indication of how well is 2-way game has come along.

Last edited:

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
Ya but some other picks in 2017 are doing well so that means Nico is a bust.... :sarcasm:

Also Patrick has had a slow start due to injuries, but recently started to pick it up....also a bust! :sarcasm:

Reactions: Danythegod

razor ray

May 8, 2011
After looking at NJ on capfriendly....the Devils do not look much on paper even with Jack Hughes. For the NJ fans what is the plan moving forward? Active in free agency or anything in the farm system?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
After looking at NJ on capfriendly....the Devils do not look much on paper even with Jack Hughes. For the NJ fans what is the plan moving forward? Active in free agency or anything in the farm system?

We're definitely going to be players in either FA or the trade market.

There's young talent there, but getting a proven player with our plethora of picks in this draft would go a long way. Whether it be another Top 6 forward or Top 4 defender. Shero's been very good at finding value with our extra picks, and now that we've won the lottery, I'm sure he's going to be looking even harder for the right deal. We've got plenty of cap space, so we can take on virtually any possible option that a team is looking to move.

Shoring up the defense would go a long way.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Top 6 is shaping up nicely with Hall, Nico, Bratt, Palmieri, Hughes/Kakko. Definitely need to add another top 6 forward though Some solid bottom sixers in Coleman, Zacha, and Zajac.

Defense it’s Vatanen, Severson and Butcher (probably topping out as bottom pair PP QB). Smith, Davies, and Reilly Walsh have top 4 talent.

Goaltending Blackwood was one of the bright spots this past season. He’s looking primed to become. #1 and is very likely splitting time 50/50 with Schneider next year.

Not there yet, but there’s some good things in place right now.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
It is important to note that Nico initially played with Hall, then Hall got injured, so of course then Nico could finally start bringing his plus-minus into the positives again once his one-way cherry-picking teammate was out of the lineup.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
"Only" played 18 more games, come on man that's almost 1/4 of the season...
Well Nico missed 13 games, or almost 1/5th of the season. Only 6 players played more than him, everyone played less games. Do their stats not count either?

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
As per nhl.com, the following 17 players have an even +/-

Ryan Murphy 0
Nathan Bastian 0
Kurtis Gabriel 0
Nico Hischier 0
Colton White -2
Brandon Gignac -2
Kenny Agostino -2
Nick Lappin -6
Steven Santini -6
Connor Carrick -6
Egor Yakovlev -6
Pavel Zacha -6
Taylor Hall -6
Michael McLeod -8
Jesper Bratt -8
Miles Wood -10
Brett Seney -14
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
I think it's very impressive.

It's way harder to end up even in plus minus for the full season than in positive or negative territory.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Although Hischier hasn't lived up to his 1st overall billing, he's still been a solid all around player for the Devils and will be a big part of the team moving forward imo.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Although Hischier hasn't lived up to his 1st overall billing, he's still been a solid all around player for the Devils and will be a big part of the team moving forward imo.
Hischier has most certainly lived up to his 1st overall billing for NJ fans

Its other teams fans who put a higher bill on him because of a hot streak in Pettersson and then Heiskanen blowing up + playoffs. Hes 20 years old weighing 180 playing top comp finishing even for a -53 differential team, and also put up a 55pt pace on a TERRIBLE team.

Not every 1st overall has to score 60+ in their first two years. Instant gratification others are looking for doesnt determine Hischiers legacy.

If their careers ended today, sure, Heiskanen and Pettersson were better. But they dont.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Team with really bad goaltending and Keith Kinkaid started 41 games is filled with - players? I'm shocked.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I expect upgrades to be made, but I don't like the goaltending (again). I firmly believe Schneider will be a .90x% goalie again for the fourth consecutive year, unless he's a backup or has one last comeback year before returning to the current version in 20-21. I don't think he'll be as bad as his 2018 calendar year, but I see him as being on par with the later years of Brodeur. Odds are very stacked against him that he's what he used to be and even stacked against him that he's even better than average in an expanded role.

Even when Rinne had that poor stretch of years, he only had 2 poor years before a rebound year, which was then followed by one more poor year. And he's a rare example of a goalie that's in the same predicament as current Schneider.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Emiliooooooooooooo

Nicooooooooooooooo

Nico "Estevez" Hischier was the only regular roster player on the Devils to finish the season with an even plus/minus... I know people don't like the plus/minus stat, but I think this is a very good indication of how well is 2-way game has come along.
Haha where does the Emilio Estevez nickname come from? Never heard this one before.:laugh:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Weird thread.

Still, Nico Hischier probably is underrated right now. He has very high potential and is an impressive players. Perhaps because he's not flashy he's not more highly regarded. I don't think he was a failure of a #1OA at all(unlike the #2).

Reactions: 1OApick

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Ya but some other picks in 2017 are doing well so that means Nico is a bust.... :sarcasm:

Also Patrick has had a slow start due to injuries, but recently started to pick it up....also a bust! :sarcasm:

Has anybody on this forum actually called him a bust? I think pretty much everybody acknowledges that he’s a fantastic young player but just slightly underwhelming for his draft position. I do think he is a little underrated by non-Devils fans though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad