Nico, only player on the Devils to finish even

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
was he the only one to be even or positive?

then sure do it, but Hischier did it at 20
LA had the worst goal differential in the NHL and Clifford was one of only two players to have a positive +/- with a +4.

Just seems like a dumb thing to make a thread about is all.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
LA had the worst goal differential in the NHL and Clifford was one of only two players to have a positive +/- with a +4.

the point is simply to capture just how good Hischier is in his two way game at 20 to be the only non-negative player on a shitty team , while he was playing top comp

thats all. a lot of people like to shit on Hischier and things like this just prove them wrong

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Emiliooooooooooooo

Nicooooooooooooooo

Nico "Estevez" Hischier was the only regular roster player on the Devils to finish the season with an even plus/minus... I know people don't like the plus/minus stat, but I think this is a very good indication of how well is 2-way game has come along.

Nope. =/- indicates nothing at all. Sorry. Just a random number.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
the point is simply to capture just how good Hischier is in his two way game at 20 to be the only non-negative player on a ****ty team , while he was playing top comp

thats all. a lot of people like to **** on Hischier and things like this just prove them wrong
Except that +/- doesn't measure that in any meaningful way and this thread is terrible. The only thing this thread is inviting is for people to charge in here to shit on Hischier for no reason other than the thread has a ridiculous premise.

Reactions: Mergatroidskittle

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Nope. =/- indicates nothing at all. Sorry. Just a random number.

Except that +/- doesn't measure that in any meaningful way and this thread is terrible. The only thing this thread is inviting is for people to charge in here to **** on Hischier for no reason other than the thread has a ridiculous premise.
Nico is our best 2 way player and his plus/minus reflects that, so imo both of you are wrong

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
No, it doesn't. +/- is an almost meaningless stat.
Larry Robinson, arguably the greatest 2 way defender of all time, leads the all time plus/minus with a record +722... so I'll put some credit in the plus/minus stat even though the number is elevated ... I thinkt you also have to take in consideration the opposing competition... Nico played vs the best lines as a 19/20 year old and was the only player to finish even on a terrible team, that's very impressive

another example, Kovalchuk, the most clueless defensive player I've ever witnessed play, and he's a career -142... and at the same time he puts up a ppg... that's very reflective, the Kings definitely regret that signing, just look at the season they had

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nico is our best 2 way player and his plus/minus reflects that, so imo both of you are wrong

I don't deny that he is your best 2 way player. But if his +/- happens to reflect that it is pure coincidence. The statistic is meaningless garbage. He could be your best player again next year and have the worst +/- on the team.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada

If there was a thread on this about Clifford, I would praise him to no end.
You know how many teams wanted him during the trade deadline?!
Big body who could score and doesn't get caved in defensively.
He'll be a beast for you guys next year.

Reactions: KingsHockey24

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
the point is simply to capture just how good Hischier is in his two way game at 20 to be the only non-negative player on a ****ty team , while he was playing top comp

thats all. a lot of people like to **** on Hischier and things like this just prove them wrong
Okay so for future argument when a devils player has a bad plus minus that argument won’t get discredited?

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I don't deny that he is your best 2 way player. But if his +/- happens to reflect that it is pure coincidence. The statistic is meaningless garbage. He could be your best player again next year and have the worst +/- on the team.
I think you have to take the competition into consideration
can the plus/minus be an inflated stat? absolutely, but imo it can also be very telling, especially in Nico's case

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Nico is not the flashiest player out there, that's why he doesn't get the attention.

He is one of those "red wine" players. They are not strong and obvious like Vodka but they are pure quality with a talent for the deeper an finer sides of the game - and they take some time to truly shine.

He has all the tools and the right mindset to be a perennial Selke contender in a few seasons. Also, I think his hands are underrated especially in close. He can handle that puck. He's modelling his game after Datsyuk and it shows.

A skilled 1st line center with perennial Selke potential is definitely worth a 1st overall selection IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you have to take the competition into consideration
can the plus/minus be an inflated stat? absolutely, but imo it can also be very telling, especially in Nico's case

It isn't that +/- is sometimes not a good stat. It is just complete garbage. It is no better than a random number.
Here is a little reading.
Analysis: Plus/Minus Sucks

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Great player, hoping the Devils can get some depth added because that lineup is looking pretty shaky.

Pretty nice to have a Nico/Jack tandem at C going forward though...hope Smith works out on D!

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Odd thread.

Zajac finished -25, does that mean he is absolutely dreadful defensively?
I think you have to take in consideration the opposing competition... with Nico out, Zajac was our 1st line center, if Zajac is your first line center, that's not good, your gonna get burned... he was in over his head... I think that's even more crediting towards Nico

Severson had a solid year offensively but was a -27, you watch him play and he's a liability defensively, the Devils almost have to tether him to his D partner our he wanders off

imo it can be a reflective stat even if it can be inflated

I use Kovalchuk as another example because he is the most clueless defensive player I've ever seen play... he was a -26 playing on the 4th line versus sheltered opponents for the kings, if he was playing versus first line competition, that would have been a much worse number. If the plus/minus is a lie why is Kovalchuk always a negative?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad