Nico Hischier

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
How much untapped potential does he have left? Can he become a top 10 or 15 centre? He had a very good rookie season. He had more points as a rookie than Thornton, Lecavalier, Stamkos and Hall, but is there much room for improvement and growth?

Meh, Carried by Hall bigtime last season.

He is a below average 1st Overall pick, think RNH level. I do like his Even Strength production but again, that is because of Hall mainly.

Also, disappeared in the playoffs.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Meh, Carried by Hall bigtime last season.

He is a below average 1st Overall pick, think RNH level. I do like his Even Strength production but again, that is because of Hall mainly.

Also, disappeared in the playoffs.
So it is just coincidence that Hall produced his best season ever with Hischier?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So it is just coincidence that Hall produced his best season ever with Hischier?
No. But that doesn't mean that Hall wouldn't have done it while playing with someone else. We heard for half a year about how Hall was dragging the Devils to wins and the only reason they weren't awful. The narrative changes as soon as the discussion changes it seems.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Oh so now you already KNOW his future production

Yeah thats a yikes for me dawg, ill put my money on the safer bet which is Hischier breaking 80 before ever becoming a Selke candidate. One is a lot harder than the other, ill let you figure out which that is
You really love the strawman, huh? Lmfao @ you thinking he'll be elite offensively before defensively. For as much as you have a homer love for this kid, it must've completely escaped you that his idol is Pavel Datsyuk.

:laugh:

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Im just gonna say this right now, he only had 5 powerplay points this year, while putting up 46 5v5 points, which is (I believe) the 2nd highest 5v5 points/60 of any 1st overall pick in the past 10/15 years (if someone could pull up that list that would be fantastic). If he had been given 1st pp unit duties (still have no idea why Zajac was playing 1st unit minutes over him), I'd say that he would have easily topped 60 points and probably would have been edging on 70 this year. I see no reason why he cannot be a consistent 70 point scorer if he would have been close to one this year if he had been given 1st unit powerplay minutes.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017

Pretty much yes. He had his best season because of PP production.
He hit 80 in 75 and 50 in 45 and both were high % Even Strength.

This past year is got 37 on the PP, which Nico did not really effect at all.
When he got 75 in 80 he only had 17pp points.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
No. But that doesn't mean that Hall wouldn't have done it while playing with someone else. We heard for half a year about how Hall was dragging the Devils to wins and the only reason they weren't awful. The narrative changes as soon as the discussion changes it seems.
No I never changed the narrative, why do you have to make it seem that way?

I simply stated Hall produced his best season (by far) with Hischier and no other stable RW I might add - it isn't coincidence and Hall noted in his MVP speech that Hischier was a massive part

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

There is no way, absolutely no way, Hall has the season he did with Zacha Or Zajac as his center instead of Nico. Zero chance.

And yes, Hall did will the team to win and yes playing with him helped Nico for sure. Not nearly as much as people think. Hall had I think 37 more points on the powerplay, a power play that Nico wasn't a part of. Nico had a higher P/60 at even strength. I don't have the stats in front of me but I think they had the same, or very similar, amount of even strength points.

Again, just passing off Nico's season by saying he rode Hall's coattails is lazy and just a false narrative.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

I simply stated Hall produced his best season (by far) with Hischier and no other stable RW I might add - it isn't coincidence and Hall noted in his MVP speech that Hischier was a massive part
this was Hall's best season on the PP. 3rd best at EV

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
There is no way, absolutely no way, Hall has the season he did with Zacha Or Zajac as his center instead of Nico. Zero chance.

And yes, Hall did will the team to win and yes playing with him helped Nico for sure. Not nearly as much as people think. Hall had I think 37 more points on the powerplay, a power play that Nico wasn't a part of. Nico had a higher P/60 at even strength. I don't have the stats in front of me but I think they had the same, or very similar, amount of even strength points.

Again, just passing off Nico's season by saying he rode Hall's coattails is lazy and just a false narrative.
Hischier had 2.5 ESP/60 according to Hockeyref.

Here's Hall's career - at Even strength
SeasonAgeTeamLgGPPTS/60
2010-1119EDMNHL651.9
2011-1220EDMNHL612.1
2012-1321EDMNHL453.1
2013-1422EDMNHL753
2014-1523EDMNHL532.1
2015-1624EDMNHL822.4
2016-1725NJDNHL721.9
2017-1826NJDNHL762.6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

and PP

SeasonAgeTeamLgGPPTS/60
2010-1119EDMNHL653.4
2011-1220EDMNHL616.7
2012-1321EDMNHL455.8
2013-1422EDMNHL754.3
2014-1523EDMNHL532.7
2015-1624EDMNHL823.2
2016-1725NJDNHL724.6
2017-1826NJDNHL7610
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
this was Hall's best season on the PP. 3rd best at EV
Well when the line was Hall-Hischier with a revolving door of RWs, makes sense. And Hischier produced one of the best 5v5 ES seasons by a rookie in the last two decades, so did Hall carry him there in his 3rd best EV season or is the narrative whichever fits Hall carrying Hischier entirely?

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Well when the line was Hall-Hischier with a revolving door of RWs, makes sense. And Hischier produced one of the best 5v5 ES seasons by a rookie in the last two decades, so did Hall carry him there in his 3rd best EV season or is the narrative whichever fits Hall carrying Hischier entirely?
Finally a thread for you I see.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
I mean, that doesn't refute his argument does it?

2012-2013 50 in 45 that's over PPG, and that was before Hischier was in the league.
2013-2014 80 in 75 that's over PPG, and that was before Hischier was in the league.
It completely ignored the fact that it was Hall's best season

So yeah it did refute his argument. He states PPG seasons like theyre better than breaking 90+, which is PPG as well

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I similarly think it's funny that people would project Hischier at a Bo Horvat level, who matched Hischier's D+1 in his D+4 year. That doesn't make any sense. Moreover, RNH would've been a better player if he were given more time to develop physically, and wasn't surrounded with only kids. I think it's fair to believe that Hischier has the same level of talent as RNH, but is developing in better circumstances, which will result in a better player.

Point totals will vary with the way the league calls penalties, but I think he'll be a top-25 scorer. And he has the hockey sense to make his teammates better. I thought the same thing about RNH, but I think Nico is much more likely to reach that level with consistency.

Can't compare first overall player vs 9th overall given opportunity and early development of skill. Horvat at 23 is 500x the player he was in junior. If Horvat tops out as a 65 point player then Hischier being a little bit above that isn't out of the question. I expect hischier to be a 25-40/45 guy in his prime.

You could have been like cant compare Scheifele to RNH because he outscored him D+1 vs D+4 during scheifele D+4 when we clearly havent seen the best of Scheifele.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

This is false. Hall had 55 ES points this year and 62 ES points in 2014 when he was centered by RNH. Hall also had better ES numbers in '13. Unless you want to give Hischier credit for Hall's spike in PP production despite them not playing on the same unit, you're wrong.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
It completely ignored the fact that it was Hall's best season

So yeah it did refute his argument. He states PPG seasons like theyre better than breaking 90+, which is PPG as well
It doesn't refute sh**. Of course he had his best season, and it has been said earlier in the thread why: Best PP season (Nothing to do with Hischier) and 3rd EV. So can we stop focusing on Hall now and focus on Hischier or his only added value and potential is to make sure that Hall produce more on the powerplay when he isn't on the ice?

For the OP, Hischier still got room to grow, his overall game will get better (especially defensively) and his production could get to 70-75 pts sooner than later IMO.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I am not sure what you are getting at, I like Hischier and think he he can develop into a yearly 60-65 pt C in his prime with a peak year in the 70s pts if he's with Hall + PP1 time. Hall's PP production was excellent this year, ranked 5th league wide in total PP points and the best PP P/60 producer (min 200 mins) this is without Hischer. Hall's even strength production was good, but I don't think he was carried by Hischer. He has shown this type of production in the past

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
This is false. Hall had 55 ES points this year and 62 ES points in 2014 when he was centered by RNH. Hall also had better ES numbers in '13. Unless you want to give Hischier credit for Hall's spike in PP production despite them not playing on the same unit, you're wrong.
Oh is it false? It wasn't Hall's best season huh?

Point me in the direction of Hall's better season than 93 in 76

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Oh is it false? It wasn't Hall's best season huh?

Point me in the direction of Hall's better season than 93 in 76
You said "Hall produced his best season (by far) with Hischier" which is false because of the words "with Hischer". Hall put up 55 ES points playing on a line WITH Hischier, the rest came on the PP without Hischer. Hall put up 62 ES points WITH RNH in '14 and also had better ES numbers in '13 than this year. Unless you meant the fact that Hischier was simply on the same team team in which case I'll just say just say that Hall had his best season playing with Jesper Bratt since apparently it doesn't matter if Hall was actually on the ice with him when the goals were scored.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
You said "Hall produced his best season (by far) with Hischier" which is false because of the words "with Hischer". Hall put up 55 ES points playing on a line WITH Hischier, the rest came on the PP without Hischer. Hall put up 62 ES points WITH RNH in '14 and also had better ES numbers in '13 than this year. Unless you meant the fact that Hischier was simply on the same team team in which case I'll just say just say that Hall had his best season playing with Jesper Bratt since apparently it doesn't matter if Hall was actually on the ice with him when the goals were scored.
Right so Hischier not being on the ice for an extra 7 ES points means he wasn't a part of Hall's best season

Makes total sense

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I'd say a lite version of Jonathan Toews. A step below offensively a few steps behind defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad