Nickson/Fox/Evans

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I've always LOVED Nickson's calls, even more than Bob. I was so excited to hear that Faust was gone (I'm sure he's a good dude, nothing personal), the 'cheese' factor never resonated with me.

With that said, I'm liking the new format even more than I thought I would...it just really seems everything has been taken up a notch. Good stuff!

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I've always LOVED Nickson's calls, even more than Bob. I was so excited to hear that Faust was gone (I'm sure he's a good dude, nothing personal), the 'cheese' factor never resonated with me.

With that said, I'm liking the new format even more than I thought I would...it just really seems everything has been taken up a notch. Good stuff!

You've got two guys that have played the game at the highest level, and one guy who's been around it for years, it's a nice setup

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I mean Faust is good, he just wasn't a good fit somehow. Couldn't gel with Fox. I love that Nickson has taken over, I agree that it should have been him from start.

Forgive my ignorance, who has taken over the radio call?

Reactions: David Lunch

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
For most of the past 5 seasons, I've been watching on mute and listening to Nick & Darryl through my stereo. It was a complete PITA to sync up. Gave up last year.

Jim has been a little bit more tolerable so far, as he has stopped over compensating for Faust's complete lack of hockey knowledge. The mansplaining has been toned down. Fox just seems a little more natural now.

Nickson's call is still a little bit behind the play at times, since he's used to doing just a radio broadcast to a listener who can't see the game & taking more time to describe what is happening. But that's ok, never had an issue with his call because he knows what he's talking about!

Faust is a sports ball guy, not a hockey guy and now, we all know the difference. Thank you Alex

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Thank heavens the cheese is gone. I love cheese, but not in broadcasts.

(And never again a "celebrity in the booth", please! That was the worst abomination of all. Ducks announcers would have been preferable.)

It's a great point that now thanks to Nick's presence, Jim Fox seems a lot more natural, like he did with Bob. Not surprising, really. Two veteran broadcasters will likely always mesh together better than a newbie + veteran combination. Two newbies are probably a better solution than a veteran + newbie combo. Although every veteran was once a newbie, so newbies shouldn't be judged too harshly. Hoping for a great career on Jeopardy! (or wherever) for Alex Faust.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I won’t lie, for a couple years now I’ve watched most of the games muted and not regretted it one iota.

New crew is perfect. Familiar, assured, knowledgeable voices. Fox is kept in check. No ham. Only issue I had was I kept mistaking Jim for Daryl and vice versa, didn’t realize it was a trio for a couple minutes :laugh:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
All 3 work very well together, a lot of synergy. Usually I like to just hear the game called with no fluff, but with those 3 I think the occasional hockey story would be fantastic. Those guys have experienced a lot of stuff around the league for 40+ years.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020

I very much like this post

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
For most of the past 5 seasons, I've been watching on mute and listening to Nick & Darryl through my stereo. It was a complete PITA to sync up. Gave up last year.

Jim has been a little bit more tolerable so far, as he has stopped over compensating for Faust's complete lack of hockey knowledge. The mansplaining has been toned down. Fox just seems a little more natural now.

Nickson's call is still a little bit behind the play at times, since he's used to doing just a radio broadcast to a listener who can't see the game & taking more time to describe what is happening. But that's ok, never had an issue with his call because he knows what he's talking about!

Faust is a sports ball guy, not a hockey guy and now, we all know the difference. Thank you Alex
I think a lot of why Fox has been tamed is because he needs to let Daryl get in a word from time to time.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013

They have a great team right now - don't change a thing.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i said it in the GDT too but in addition to the call being great, the truck guys are crushing it too. i used to sometimes watch the opponents' telecasts intentionally because ours NEVER had instant replays, it took like 5 minutes to get a replay of a nice save or something, by then the excitement was already gone. the guys this season are majorly on top of that, high danger chances that lead to a quick stoppage or something get a high quality replay before the commercial break or faceoff and that's f***in AWESOME and is the kind of telecast polish i love

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I never minded Faust as a much as some people did here, but Nick calling the games alongside Fox is how its supposed to be. What they probably should've done is have Nick takeover for Bob and hired someone for the radio broadcast and groomed him to eventually takeover for Nick once he's done.

I think one thing they need to work on is to find ways to get Darryl more involved, but I'm sure that will come with time.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Bob Miller is probably the most beloved LA King of all time. I met the man several times and was a treat every time. He was especially kind to my mom, who is known to ask every obnoxious question possible. Jimmy Fox and Darryl Evens have been especially kind as well.

But I think Nick Nickson is my favorite hockey broadcaster of all time. One of the reasons Faust got on my nerves so much is more that he wasn't Nick Nickson than any other reason, that and the Kings were just so bad when he stepped in.

For me, getting Nickson on the TV play by pay improved the Kings on ice product almost more than the play itself.

I too was bummed that Nick didn't take over as soon as Bob left. Seemed to be the obvious choice and that could save money doing the simulcast they are now doing. This setup was so obvious it's a real head scratcher why they didn't do this to being with. Either the organization or Nick has stated he wanted to stay on the radio. Perhaps that's true and when they told him they were going to move to a simulcast that was his only option or to leave the organization.

Does he still do Kings Talk and give away popcorn?

No.. I turned on the iheartradio app after opening night and Jesse Cohen was doing it.

Reactions: Faterson

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Popcorn giveaways are a thing of the past.

I'm working on a new alternative.

Stay tuned.
NFT giveaways? /s I needs to start listening after the game. I like when you did the intermission reports.

I agree the broadcast has been great. I like the addition of Evans between the benches. I enjoy that POV in the national broadcasts, so its nice to see during our broadcasts.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Fox is 100% better with Nick than with Alex. That's the big difference to me. Nick is awesome, and the chemistry with "James" is way less awkward.
i've noticed that "james" thing too, wondering if he's kinda little brothering him, it's funny to me

• Haha
Reactions: Faterson

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
Never understood why we decided to hire Faust anyways.

Slap to the face of Nickson.
The only thing I can think of is maybe he was offered it and said nah. Not wanting to be on camera or even not wanting to be with fox and lose his partner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad