Nickname that Jori!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Sorry, but that one's already taken. Paavo Nurmi (nine Olympic gold medals) was the Flying Finn.

Yes! I remember Paavo Nurmi. But most American and Canadian fans wouldn't remember him, and even if they did, they'd have no problem having a second "Flying Finn", just as they call the newer player of the same family name as the original famous man's first (Christian) name. They called Keith Tkachuck, "Walt" , because the famous Tkaczuk before him was named Walter. The baseball fans of the 1890s called the Baltimore Orioles' centre fielder "Steve" Brodie, after an infamous man who jumped off The Brooklyn Bridge to his death. His first name was nothing like Steve or Steven.

mikko1995

May 30, 2010
Yes! I remember Paavo Nurmi. But most American and Canadian fans wouldn't remember him, and even if they did, they'd have no problem having a second "Flying Finn", just as they call the newer player of the same family name as the original famous man's first (Christian) name. They called Keith Tkachuck, "Walt" , because the famous Tkaczuk before him was named Walter. The baseball fans of the 1890s called the Baltimore Orioles' centre fielder "Steve" Brodie, after an infamous man who jumped off The Brooklyn Bridge to his death. His first name was nothing like Steve or Steven.

To be fair, there is also a few other guys nicknamed the Flying Finn, for example Mika Häkkinen, a two-time F1 World Champion.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Also while I don't actually have any idea what 'frank and beans' means, I think I can guess, and also if I spelt it out I am guessing that a mod would edit my post. Correct?

3fb0e96f-76b9-4fd7-9683-8029be9ed33a.jpg

You need to get your mind out of the gutter good sir, we run a clean board around here. Strictly wholesome entertainment...let me hit you with a quick poem.

*ahem*

There once was a man from Nantucket...

PeterAngelo

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Baked beans w/ hotdogs aka Beans 'n Weenies.

3fb0e96f-76b9-4fd7-9683-8029be9ed33a.jpg

You need to get your mind out of the gutter good sir, we run a clean board around here. Strictly wholesome entertainment...let me hit you with a quick poem.

*ahem*

There once was a man from Nantucket...

Haha, well there you go. Learn something every day. Thanks.

Promptly removing my mind out of the gutter :laugh:

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Jori Lehterä translated from Finnish to English means "Jori in the gallery."

I'd be more than interested to know how anybody would come upon a translation like that. As far as I know, "Lehterä" doesn't mean anything. It's just a name. "Lehteri" could be translated as "gallery", but it wouldn't be an art gallery, the meaning would be something like this (taken from the Merriam-Webster dictionary): a structure projecting from one or more interior walls (as of an auditorium or church) to accommodate additional people; especially : the highest balcony in a theater commonly having the cheapest seats

Last edited:

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
what movie?

Also while I don't actually have any idea what 'frank and beans' means, I think I can guess, and also if I spelt it out I am guessing that a mod would edit my post. Correct?

There's something about Mary. If you haven't seen it, check it out. It's hilarious.

FinnWin

Nov 1, 2013
A longtime Finnish fan of Jori here... Me and my friends have always called him "Jorge", pronounced in the Spanish way :) Can't really remember where it came from. We are always shouting "Vamos Jorge" etc :laugh:

Or how about Hannibal Lehter, because he pretty much consumes his opponents ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad