Recalled/Assigned: Nicklas Jensen

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Blah. I was really high on Jensen when he was drafted, but I don't think he can play at NHL speed. We'll see.

May 31, 2006
What has this guy done to be called up? Hopefully it's to give him some easy minutes and then extract value in the deadline.

Guy is a bust, plain and simple. Been saying it forever.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
If Frankie was available, that'd be 3 rookie 2011 draft picks on the roster:

• Jensen (29)
  • Clendening (36)
  • Corrado (150)

Not that I expect Jensen to do much of anything during this call-up.

----

The second round in 2011 was crazy. So loaded with talent.

• Musil
  • Rattie
  • Jurco
  • Clendening
  • Jenner
  • Gibson
  • Khokhlachev
  • Jaskin
  • V. Rask
  • Saad
  • Brett Ritchie
  • Granlund Jr.
  • Nieto
  • Ouellet
  • William Karlsson
  • Harrington
  • Sproul
  • Wotherspoon
  • Kucherov

Last edited:

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Oh yes, lets take off the guys who just scored two goals with the sedins and put on a guy that hasn't really done it at the Jr level...makes sense.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Oh yes, lets take off the guys who just scored two goals with the sedins and put on a guy that hasn't really done it at the Jr level...makes sense.

Probably going to happen considering who our coach & management is.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Will he even play?

By all accounts Willie is very happy with McMillan and there's no way Kassian is taken out after a 2 goal performanc.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
He's probably just called up for back-up. We're at 12 forwards without him. For a 13th forward not likely to play, we might as well take the guy who is doing nothing for Utica - whom we might as well teach a thing or two while he sits. Maybe reward him with a game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
defs a showcasing, maybe they'll play him with the Sedins. Would be nice to see for sure.

Agree that something must be brewing on the trade front....no other reason to recall him imo.....thinking he could be part of a deadline deal, or maybe replaces somebody else who'll be moved....another guy who, like Kassian, looked promising down the stretch last year...but has definitely taken a step backward in the AHL this year....seems to have all the tools, but something is missing with the compete level:help:

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
If they sit Kassian and play the horrible waive wire pickup I'll pretty much lose faith in WD.

*EDIT*

And if they sit Jensen for the Waiver pickup... I'll pretty much lose just about as much faith....

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
would rather see Gaunce called up. we all know Jensen sucks, especially defensively.

...and Gaunce has really turned it up as of late. It looks like he is developing nicely in the second half of his first pro season. Who knows what his outcome is, but progress is progress.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
would rather see Gaunce called up. we all know Jensen sucks, especially defensively.

Gaunce deserves it more but would love to see if this callup will give Jensen some confidence. Last time he played up here he was pretty good. Still remember that Jeff carter like wrister.

NucksRock*

Agree that something must be brewing on the trade front....no other reason to recall him imo.....thinking he could be part of a deadline deal, or maybe replaces somebody else who'll be moved....another guy who, like Kassian, looked promising down the stretch last year...but has definitely taken a step backward in the AHL this year....seems to have all the tools, but something is missing with the compete level:help:

i think JB is trying to see what he has in his cupboard so he can figure out which of the vets he'll move at the deadline

Higgins/Hansen/Richie/Matthias are all guys I can see being moved to contenders

This may be why they grabbed McMillan, in the hopes he could take the role of a higgins or hansen

My guess is Higgins will be moved, and Jensen is being tested to see where he's at developmentally and if he's ready to play full time.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Jensen Bones Vrbata
Dorsett Matthias Kassian
Kennins Horvat Hansen

Vey
McMillan

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Will he even play?

By all accounts Willie is very happy with McMillan and there's no way Kassian is taken out after a 2 goal performanc.
Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone is pencilling him in. None of the Comet injury callups on defense ever got a sniff until our present injury crisis. I'm guessing Jensen is the extra forward, not displacing McMillan.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Gaunce deserves it more but would love to see if this callup will give Jensen some confidence. Last time he played up here he was pretty good. Still remember that Jeff carter like wrister.

I tend to look at the callup this way as well. Jensen can get some practice or games with the big club in and hit the reset button when he goes back to Utica. He's digging himself a hole down there right now.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I understand Jensen isn't playing well right now in Utica, but he started off the year strong didn't he? Plus, last year he played well with the Sedins while he was up, he was one of the only Canucks scoring. I think it's a bit premature to be saying he's a bust, he might just be a player who plays better around NHL players.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Pro seasons don't matter. All that matters is age when signing your contract and NHL games. Jensen signed his ELC at age 18 in 2011 and didn't play 10+ games in the NHL at age 18 or 19, so he gets 5 years of waiver exemption provided he doesn't hit his NHL GP threshold of 160 before then. So he's good until the start of 16-17.

In practice, most skaters are waiver exempt for the length of their ELC. Since Jensen is in year 2 of his 3 year deal, he's got another year after this one of exemption.

Huh, I thought it was based off the age of their first contract year, not when the contract was signed. One would think years that slide would not count as the initial year for waiver exemptions. (i.e. giving him 3 years until waiver exemption).

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Huh, I thought it was based off the age of their first contract year, not when the contract was signed. One would think years that slide would not count as the initial year for waiver exemptions. (i.e. giving him 3 years until waiver exemption).

Effectively that is how it works. If you sign at 18 you get 5 years, if you sign at 19 you get 4 years, and if you sign at 20 you get 3 years. And if you're an 18 or 19 year old who plays 11+ NHL games in a season your exemption drops to 3 years. So normally it lasts the length of the ELC for skaters (it's a year longer for goalies). The result is when your contract kicks in is the same time your 3 years to waiver eligibility kicks in (though there might be the odd exception).

My point was more that whether you're playing pro hockey or not doesn't affect waiver eligibility. A 19 year old playing non-NHL pro hockey will still be exempt until he's 23 while a signed 20 year old playing in the CHL will have the first of his 3 years exemption kick in even though he's not playing pro. So Jensen's waiver eligibility was unaffected by him playing in the SEL and AHL in 12-13.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad