Nicklas Jensen

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
RNH- 1st overall pick
Yakupov- 1st overall pick
Jensen-29th overall pick

One of these things is not like the other...

I'm not directly comparing the players and their upsides. This shouldn't be that difficult to understand. I'm saying there should be an understanding that all young players will likely struggle at some point in their first seasons in the league. Obviously, and I mean really OBVIOUSLY, a first overall pick's struggles are going to look completely different than someone taken at the bottom of the first round.

Heck if Jensen ever plays as well as RNH did in his first season I'd be pleased.

The point being, it makes sense to keep in mind that every single player coming into the league will struggle somewhat in the transition, and that should be expected. The fact it doesn't with the odd player is really a pretty freakish outlier.

It just sounds ridiculous (to me), when folks are ripping guys like Yakupov for struggling with consistency, first round pick or otherwise, when many are capable of a really objective analysis.

lol My expectations for you guys is possibly too high. :naughty:

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I'm just saying that a player like Jensen should be compared to people picked around his area, not almost a full round before him. Edmonton's 2nd round pick (Musil) is much closer than RNH for example.

first overall picks are first overall picks for a reason, and although they will continue to improve, you can't say that they haven't been underwhelming thus far because of the expectations for them

Well, basically I disagree with you then. :)

LolClarkson*

A Deer in the headlights I think..............not ready, but who is ready at 20, being thrown into a pro game when the team is in the stretch drive?

If that was true then he would have got burned. Look at how many bad plays Cam Barker clearly made. Jensen did not do that.

arsmaster*

Daniel Sedin scored 20 in his rookie year, Henrik had 30 points, they played 3rd line minutes with little to no PP time. They were much better than Jensen is now.

Jensen does not look ready but he shows some NHL qualitys and thats all you can ask for.

Wrongo.

The Sedin's had their own PP unit, just like Hodgson did last year. It wasn't the go to unit, but they played 2:30 a game on the PP, and only played ~13mins a night. 20% of their rookie year ice time was on the PP. That is a lot.

Daniel had 10 PP goals (that's half). Henrik only had 9PP points, about 1/3 of his whole production.

The Sedin's weren't counted on to be difference makers, but they were given good ice time in positions to succeed as rookies.

edit* Also note the 2000-2001 Canucks were an up and coming team, not the two time presidents trophy winners we are right now. It's easier to find a spot on the 2001 team than this one.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Don't agree that he's behind the play or chasing. He's in good position most of the time, what he's having trouble with is acting on plays fast enough. When he has the puck he thinks he has a bit more time than he does. When he's battling for the puck, he thinks it's going to be a bit easier than it is.

He could break through in the next 2 games and suddenly emerge as a legitimate NHL player, or he might continue struggling with making plays. Don't think they should waste a year of his ELC (by playing him beyond those 2 games) to find out.

But yeah, I think he's keeping up real well and reading the play real well. His problems are much the same as they were in the AHL.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Wrongo.

The Sedin's had their own PP unit, just like Hodgson did last year. It wasn't the go to unit, but they played 2:30 a game on the PP, and only played ~13mins a night. 20% of their rookie year ice time was on the PP. That is a lot.

Daniel had 10 PP goals (that's half). Henrik only had 9PP points, about 1/3 of his whole production.

The Sedin's weren't counted on to be difference makers, but they were given good ice time in positions to succeed as rookies.

OK my memory was wrong there, I still belive the Sedins were better when they made the NHL then Jensen is now, and that was my point.

Jensen will be a good player IMO, if the canucks were a worse team he would probably be up here, right now he is not a top 9 forward on this team.

arsmaster*

OK my memory was wrong there, I still belive the Sedins were better when they made the NHL then Jensen is now, and that was my point.

Jensen will be a good player IMO

Of course they were better.

We're going off of 2 games for Jensen right now.

I'm not expecting him to be performing up to Daniel Sedin's rookie season, but I'd like to see a little more, before I deem him 2-3 years away.

Keep in mind he's a late add to the team, spent the past year on big ice, no training camp etc....

3 more games (with two against Calgary) should give us(and him) a better idea where he's at and what he needs to work on. I also think it will help him in the AHL for the remainder of the season too.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Of course they were better.

We're going off of 2 games for Jensen right now.

I'm not expecting him to be performing up to Daniel Sedin's rookie season, but I'd like to see a little more, before I deem him 2-3 years away.

Keep in mind he's a late add to the team, spent the past year on big ice, no training camp etc....

3 more games (with two against Calgary) should give us(and him) a better idea where he's at and what he needs to work on. I also think it will help him in the AHL for the remainder of the season too.

I agree with most of what you are saying. I think hes going to need a full year at the farm next year, but if hes ready noone is happier than me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad