Nicklas Jensen

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
Jensen is clearly not ready, but the Sedins and Kesler looked a lot better at the same age. Of course there are other factors that play into that as well - such as the overall team around them - young, not ready players, tend to look more "ready" when playing on weaker, non-competitive teams, but Kesler had a lot more jump to his game when he first stepped in, and not only looked passable defensively (which Jensen looks right now), but you could see him already looking like he would be a standout defensively when he first jumped into the league.. he had those instincts that Jensen simply doesn't. And the same is true for the Sedins, though on an offensive level. They were weak and slow when he first came in, but they still made great passes, showed tremendous vision and were solid positionally when they first stepped in - I really don't see the comparison at all. Though to be fair, Jensen is coming off a good year in the SEL with some question marks overall, while the Sedins were co-MVPs of the SEL at the same age.

Jensen just looks like another of the many young prospects that come into the NHL that simply isn't ready at this age and stage in his career. He's more likely a couple years away from having any kind of top-9 impact with this team. I'd think he'd be more along the lines of Schroeder in terms of development (another prospect that was talked about as being NHL ready when he was drafted), and he's played a couple full years in the AHL and is still not fully NHL ready at this stage, though is a lot closer now then he was a couple years removed from his draft, which is where Jensen is now.

Give him a full year in the AHL next season and then call-up duty for handful of games the following year, like Schroeder is doing this year... by the season after that he should be ready for full-time duty. IMO Schroeder will be ready for full-time duty next season - this is his part-time/call-up year. I see Jensen following a similar path, which when you compare to the average prospect, is still a very good development curve.

No they didnt. Kes didn't fully realize his wheels till his 2nd 3rd NHL season. And he and burr were looked terrible their first few years. And I don't even have to mention how the sedins were their first seasons.

I think your romanticizing how Kesler and the Sedins developed. Because the ones I watched had alot of growing pains and Jensen doesn't look too far off of what they looked like at 20.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Was invisible against the Oilers, except for him bobbling the puck on the PP.

He's not ready yet offensively, I love his backcheck and defensive play though.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
I think even in his limited minutes so far we've seen flashes of potential --- some puck poise, a couple of nice defensive plays, some quick passes -- that tell me he will be a top-6 player one day. His skating needs some work, but overall he has a great skill set and we didn't even get to see his shooting.

In terms of readiness, I think he would be fine to play a 3rd line role next season, but I think the Canucks will probably want someone more ready and will likely have 9 or 10 players that could fill top 9 roles, with Jensen being the first or second call-up. If they felt Jensen was more ready they could leave Raymond's spot in the top 9 open, but I am guessing they fill that spot with an off-season acquisition (or by keeping Roy or promoting Schroeder full time).

I expect to see him full time for 2014/2015.

TheDiver*

I think they brought him up to get a taste of the speed of the game and get a sense of the things he will need to work on in the AHL. He will be heading back down soon

Plus he hasn't really had an off season in a Canuck-assigned plan yet.

Once the Canuck scientists get him their nutrition, fitness, training plan and keep an eye on him (maybe joining Kassian at the Nike training facility or with the Sedins, or sticking around here in the Summer) he will lose some of the baby fat...much like the Sedins.

He looks like he could lose about 2-3% body fat.

Much like this guy:
5403181.jpg

Who now looks chiseled and is on top of the fitness heap in the NHL:
7142.jpg

no comment

Apr 5, 2013
Jensen can play a maximum of 5 NHL games this season without burning a year off of his ELC. Hence, he will likely play 5 games. I'm not sure if they intend to play him in the post season like they did Hodgson in his first season, if they do I expect him to be sent down now and recalled with 3 regular season games remaining. If they don't think he's ready for that they'll probably keep him up now for the full 5 games then send him down and let him work on his game in the AHL all season and through the AHL playoffs.

According to new CBA :

If a player aged 18 or 19 signs an entry-level contract with a club (with his age calculated on Sept. 15 of the year he signed the contract) but does not play in at least 10 NHL games, the contract will "slide" or be extended one year. The extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between Sept. 16 and Dec. 31 in the year he signed the contract.

Depending on the contract's structure, the player's cap hit can be affected either by an increase or a decrease. Players who sign at age 18 can have their contract extended (or "slide") two seasons.

CBA reference: Section 9.1 (d) (P. 23-24)

arsmaster*

According to new CBA :

That is two different things.

Jensen could have played 9 games last year and the 5 this year and still have had his contract slide.

His contract will start next year if he doesn't play 5 regular season games this year. I hope they keep him up through the next 3 and I hope we give Gaunce a long look next year too, just for experience. IMO this pays off, not only for the player, but for the stock in the asset.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
That is two different things.

Jensen could have played 9 games last year and the 5 this year and still have had his contract slide.

His contract will start next year if he doesn't play 5 regular season games this year. I hope they keep him up through the next 3 and I hope we give Gaunce a long look next year too, just for experience. IMO this pays off, not only for the player, but for the stock in the asset.

I agree, but I feel as if any given player should have a year of pro experience before being given that "look". Jensen played a year in the SEL, so he's worth bringing up for a couple of games. Gaunce will be in Juniors all next season, and as such he will not get a look in the NHL next season. I expect we won't see Gaunce in the NHL until the 15/16 season personally. I know some may think that's a bit crazy, but that gives him another year in juniors, a year in the AHL, then up to the NHL for a portion of the next season. Have a look at Schroeder as a comparable, he was drafted in '09 and spent another year in college, then two full years in the AHL before being called to the NHL this season.

arsmaster*

I agree, but I feel as if any given player should have a year of pro experience before being given that "look". Jensen played a year in the SEL, so he's worth bringing up for a couple of games. Gaunce will be in Juniors all next season, and as such he will not get a look in the NHL next season. I expect we won't see Gaunce in the NHL until the 15/16 season personally. I know some may think that's a bit crazy, but that gives him another year in juniors, a year in the AHL, then up to the NHL for a portion of the next season. Have a look at Schroeder as a comparable, he was drafted in '09 and spent another year in college, then two full years in the AHL before being called to the NHL this season.

Gaunce next year will be in the same position as Jensen this year, outside the SEL experience (Jensen played pro hockey prior to being in the OHL too).

St Louis did this with Pietrangelo, brought him up for games for 2 years and sent him back to junior.

These kids need to get a little taste of the speed, IMO it does more for them than just hearing from others what they have to work. To experience the speed and strength of NHLers, I think it helps.

Keep him up next year for 9 or less, send him down, hope he gets picked for the WJHC, and then call him up to the AHL after his season in the OHL ends.

The difference between Schroeder and Gaunce is clear to all....Gaunce is already big and strong enough, he'll need to get a feel for the speed, and develop his skating from experience, not just from being told.

That's just me though.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
No they didnt. Kes didn't fully realize his wheels till his 2nd 3rd NHL season. And he and burr were looked terrible their first few years. And I don't even have to mention how the sedins were their first seasons.

I think your romanticizing how Kesler and the Sedins developed. Because the ones I watched had alot of growing pains and Jensen doesn't look too far off of what they looked like at 20.

Daniel Sedin scored 20 in his rookie year, Henrik had 30 points, they played 3rd line minutes with little to no PP time. They were much better than Jensen is now.

Jensen does not look ready but he shows some NHL qualitys and thats all you can ask for.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
give him like 2 years and he should be ready......a year in the AHL and then year after he should ready full time. By then Gaunce and Schroeder should be full time as well if we go by the Detriot Developing model so 2015/2016 we might have Kassasin, Jensen, Schroeder and Gaunce ready for full time!

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
He's just getting his first nibbles at the NHL game...it will be at least a couple more seasons till he's ready for a larger role or higher minutes.

He's just a kid that needs to get stronger, faster, and more acclimated to the NHL level of play.

Let him be and let him develop before making judgements.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Daniel Sedin scored 20 in his rookie year, Henrik had 30 points, they played 3rd line minutes with little to no PP time. They were much better than Jensen is now.

Jensen does not look ready but he shows some NHL qualitys and thats all you can ask for.

That is to be expected considering draft position

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Sedins were also 20 when they came over and had 3 full years of SEL experience. Jensen just turned 20 this past month.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
With all these balanced comments about Jensen, you wonder why so many rip young players like Hopkins and Yakupov when they're not dominating immediately?

Of course, it may just be that they're playing for the Oilers ... but people seem to have some fairly unrealistic expectations around how well kids playing their first games in the league should be.

I'm happy to see Jensen getting some games in, and look forward to following his career. Until he's traded and then I hate him. :sarcasm:

MajorCanuck

Cup Please
Dec 30, 2011
Surrey, BC
With all these balanced comments about Jensen, you wonder why so many rip young players like Hopkins and Yakupov when they're not dominating immediately?

Of course, it may just be that they're playing for the Oilers ... but people seem to have some fairly unrealistic expectations around how well kids playing their first games in the league should be.

I'm happy to see Jensen getting some games in, and look forward to following his career. Until he's traded and then I hate him. :sarcasm:

Big difference between first overall players and a player taken very late in the first round

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Jensen's pretty raw, but I don't think he looks out of place, either. He's already a player than somebody like Sesito, for instance.

If the Canucks ran into some injuries in the playoffs, I'd be perfectly comfortable with Jensen playing on a 4th line, if it comes to it.

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly

Jensen could score 20-30 points if he was given 82 games. Don't know what your point is.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

RNH- 1st overall pick
Yakupov- 1st overall pick
Jensen-29th overall pick

One of these things is not like the other...

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Big difference between first overall players and a player taken very late in the first round

The point still stands. Obviously the expectations should be different, but the players will still be facing the troubles of inexperience and youth.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I actually liked what I saw from him and Kassian last night. He has good speed and good size. I think he's going to have a good NHL career. These young kids have to play in order to progress. Give him time.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The point still stands. Obviously the expectations should be different, but the players will still be facing the troubles of inexperience and youth.

I'm just saying that a player like Jensen should be compared to people picked around his area, not almost a full round before him. Edmonton's 2nd round pick (Musil) is much closer than RNH for example.

first overall picks are first overall picks for a reason, and although they will continue to improve, you can't say that they haven't been underwhelming thus far because of the expectations for them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->