Nicklas Backstrom HHOF Chances?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I mean I think that's a good question to pose to me. I made something of a grandiose statement and I should at least need to back it up. Give me tonight and I'll throw out a list of 25.I definitely am not trying to be controversial. I apologize if it came off that way.

Here, we can compare lists. This is something I made a few years ago so it's a bit out of date. It had 25 guys I would put in, in favor of 26 who were already in. The premise was, I'd stop adding names to the list once I couldn't make a case that the next best guy to add was significantly more deserving than the next worst guy to remove.

Paul Thompson, Cecil Dillon, Daniel Alfredsson, Pierre Turgeon, Curtis Joseph, Brian Propp, Craig Ramsay, Guy Carbonneau, Tom Barrasso, JC Tremblay, Carl Brewer, John LeClair, Jeremy Roenick, John Gottselig, John Vanbiesbrouck, Steve Larmer, Theo Fleury, Rick Middleton, Pat Stapleton, Bill White, Sergei Zubov, Jim Thomson, Doug Wilson, Claude Provost, Keith Tkachuk

Gerry Cheevers, Edgar Laprade, Harry Watson, Leo Boivin, Phil Housley, Clark Gillies, Dino Ciccarelli, Dave Andreychuk, Joe Nieuwendyk, Cam Neely, Glenn Anderson, Dick Duff, Bernie Federko, Bobby Bauer, Bob Pulford, Steve Shutt, Lanny McDonald, Woody Dumart, Clint Smith, Bill Barber, Lynn Patrick, Billy Burch, Cooney Weiland, Buddy O'Connor, Red Horner, Ace Bailey

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Andreychuck
Housley
LaFontaine
--All three of the above are Sabres players I certainly loved seeing. But none of them warrant the rank of being in the Hall in my mind.

Lowe- No idea how he got in...
Federko- LMAO, an immediate no
Nieuendyk- Another great player but I don't think he was ever in the top 5 at any point in time.
Lindros- His peak was great but I was left disappointed more often than not.
Neely- He's close for me but if you look at the totality of his career...it left something lacking.
St. Louis- Super overrated in my mind. He had several very good years, and I appreciate them, but I think that he got flexed in due to a dearth of stars in that era on offense.
Doug Wilson- What on Earth did he do to become a member of this category?
Zubov- Great player, not a hall of famer by any means. His peak wasn't all that impressive.
Gartner- Probably my most questionable pick to be taken out of the HOF but he underwhelmed me time and again. I don't prefer compilers.
Bobby Bauer- Someone tell me why he belongs...
Mullen- Not a fan at all. He is the passenger on several too many lines.
Goulet- Take his play into any era and it does not translate well.
Woody Dumart- What do we lose by removing him?
Pulford- He's a close call but I could do without him.
Bryan Hextall- Another borderline guy but I come across unimpressed in the long-run.

I'm not at 25 yet but I'm willing to take some hate in the meantime.

Last edited:

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Here, we can compare lists. This is something I made a few years ago so it's a bit out of date. It had 25 guys I would put in, in favor of 26 who were already in. The premise was, I'd stop adding names to the list once I couldn't make a case that the next best guy to add was significantly more deserving than the next worst guy to remove.

Paul Thompson, Cecil Dillon, Daniel Alfredsson, Pierre Turgeon, Curtis Joseph, Brian Propp, Craig Ramsay, Guy Carbonneau, Tom Barrasso, JC Tremblay, Carl Brewer, John LeClair, Jeremy Roenick, John Gottselig, John Vanbiesbrouck, Steve Larmer, Theo Fleury, Rick Middleton, Pat Stapleton, Bill White, Sergei Zubov, Jim Thomson, Doug Wilson, Claude Provost, Keith Tkachuk

Gerry Cheevers, Edgar Laprade, Harry Watson, Leo Boivin, Phil Housley, Clark Gillies, Dino Ciccarelli, Dave Andreychuk, Joe Nieuwendyk, Cam Neely, Glenn Anderson, Dick Duff, Bernie Federko, Bobby Bauer, Bob Pulford, Steve Shutt, Lanny McDonald, Woody Dumart, Clint Smith, Bill Barber, Lynn Patrick, Billy Burch, Cooney Weiland, Buddy O'Connor, Red Horner, Ace Bailey

I just saw this after my post a moment ago. You've listed several people I was considering bringing up. I appreciate you going through the time to post this. I think we're on the same page in a lot of ways.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Andreychuck
Housley
LaFontaine
--All three of the above are Sabres players I certainly loved seeing. But none of them warrant the rank of being in the Hall in my mind.

Lowe- No idea how he got in...
Federko- LMAO, an immediate no
Nieuendyk- Another great player but I don't think he was ever in the top 5 at any point in time.
Lindros- His peak was great but I was left disappointed more often than not.
Neely- He's close for me but if you look at the totality of his career...it left something lacking.
St. Louis- Super overrated in my mind. He had several very good years, and I appreciate them, but I think that he got flexed in due to a dearth of stars in that era on offense.
Doug Wilson- What on Earth did he do to become a member of this category?
Zubov- Great player, not a hall of famer by any means. His peak wasn't all that impressive.
Gartner- Probably my most questionable pick to be taken out of the HOF but he underwhelmed me time and again. I don't prefer compilers.
Bobby Bauer- Someone tell me why he belongs...
Mullen- Not a fan at all. He is the passenger on several too many lines.
Goulet- Take his play into any era and it does not translate well.
Woody Dumart- What do we lost by removing him?
Pulford- He's a close call but I could do without him.
Bryan Hextall- Another borderline guy but I come across unimpressed in the long-run.

I'm not at 25 yet but I'm willing to take some hate in the meantime.

LaFontaine was in the top 15 in both goals per game and points per game when his career was cut short because of concussions...

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
LaFontaine was in the top 15 in both goals per game and points per game when his career was cut short because of concussions...

This is true. You don’t have to tell me. He’s my favorite player ever. I just also think Buffalo traded for him expecting to have their “leader” for a few playoff runs...not unlike what Gilmour and Yzerman were beginning to do at that time. Much as I hate to say it, Patty could never do it. In fact, a case can be made that the Sabres lost that Turgeon trade. LaFontaine was truly incredible, but his peak was just too short for me.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
This is true. You don’t have to tell me. He’s my favorite player ever. I just also think Buffalo traded for him expecting to have their “leader” for a few playoff runs...not unlike what Gilmour and Yzerman were beginning to do at that time. Much as I hate to say it, Patty could never do it. In fact, a case can be made that the Sabres lost that Turgeon trade. LaFontaine was truly incredible, but his peak was just too short for me.

LaFontaine had 27 points in 19 playoff games for the Sabres...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He does? Letang does not belong in the HOF if he retires today. Backstrom has a much stronger argument, though still would be one of the weaker inductions.

I'm curious what Backstorm has that Letang doesn't?

Letang has been a finalist for a Norris and basically a top ten Norris finalist every year he's been healthy and a # 1 D (since Gonchar left the Pens in 09-10) aside from 17-18. He has a Conn Smythe worthy post season run and has 3 cup final appearances and 2 wins. He's within 30th all time in terms of PPG for a defenseman as well. And is basically the only consistent member of the most successful team of the cap era after Crosby and Malkin.

He's basically Ozolins with a much better Norris record.

Last edited:
Reactions: sanscosm

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
We're speaking about a man who won a (2nd) scoring title at age 37 and averaged 87 points per season from 2003-2011 here.
I'm not saying I'm right...I'm just saying that he didn't do it for me. I'm putting a list out there to get criticism and I think yours carries some weight. Those are impressive figures. I'll reevaluate, I just personally never cared for him but I'm no savant in this stuff.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
LaFontaine had 27 points in 19 playoff games for the Sabres...

I think if you told the Sabres brass (ie Muckler) at the time that the sheer amount of playoff games for LaFontaine would be 19 games, they would have reconsidered. Again, he's my favorite player of all time, but he just came to Buffalo in a spurt and quickly became damaged goods. I'll gladly argue he's a top 5 most talented American ever, though.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
St. Louis is an easy hall of famer in my eyes. One I don’t have to think about for a second.

Last edited:
Reactions: buffalowing88

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Thread's about Bäckström, we're only on page 2 and he hasn't been mentioned in the last 16 or so posts, which tells me something.

Quiet player, and I would say not only in a good way. Nice talent though. If I played I would like to have thrown some of those passes myself.

vadim is right, he's around D. Sedin, Sedin's got a Ross & a Lindsay though, plus the whole twin magic package.

He should have shot the puck a bit more, he had a pretty good release, but I guess he didn't get all the mental room for it alongside his winger.

He was quiet with the national team too.

All those playoff failures, from regular season juggernauting, and Capitals finally slaying their arch rival when he was out injured, quick-footed Kuznetsov on a breakaway, would Bäckström have scored that goal? Probably not, it just wasn't his style.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If this was only about playing ability one could somehow discuss it as a borderline case, but as it's a hall of fame he's miles away from belonging.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He does? Letang does not belong in the HOF if he retires today. Backstrom has a much stronger argument, though still would be one of the weaker inductions.

Letang was probably the best defenseman in '13, but missed too many games to win the Norris. I'm assuming he's talking about '16 for the second season, but Doughty and Karlsson were too awesome that year. He wasn't that far from Giordano last year either, but again missed games. Letang is super underrated for some reason though. All he does is drive possession with an amazing transition game and put up points 5v5 while being above average defensively. He's been a stud, #1 defenseman on one of the best teams in the league for a decade, including a cup run that could have won the Conn Smythe. The injuries are an issue, but in terms of ability, I think he's very comparable to borderline guys like Doug Wilson and Sergei Zubov.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
As of now--no--I would not endorse Backstrom for the HHOF. He's is in the Hall of VG with Giroux.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Mostly agree with you. Several minor minor quibbles, but my two biggest disagreements are Pulford and Weiland.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Difference being he was part of a championship squad that was dominant (regular season wise) throughout his career. He'll get in simply due to that.

Maybe, but I don't think he deserves it. Other than a Cup, he never won an award. He's been to 1 all-star game in his entire career and wasn't a 1st team all-star. His three greatest offensive seasons were...

... and other than that, he was steady but far from spectacular. In 13 seasons he broke 30 goals once. Backstrom is a very good centerman but his claim-to-fame is playing Robin to Ovechkin's Batman. On merit alone, Nick Backstrom doesn't deserve the HHOF. That said, he could still wiggle in because he was a top center for a Caps team that was great for over a decade... but if he gets in before someone like Jeremy Roenick... the HHOF should bolt its doors forever and turn off the lights.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Maybe, but I don't think he deserves it. Other than a Cup, he never won an award. He's been to 1 all-star game in his entire career and wasn't a 1st team all-star. His three greatest offensive seasons were...

... and other than that, he was steady but far from spectacular. In 13 seasons he broke 30 goals once. Backstrom is a very good centerman but his claim-to-fame is playing Robin to Ovechkin's Batman. On merit alone, Nick Backstrom doesn't deserve the HHOF. That said, he could still wiggle in because he was a top center for a Caps team that was great for over a decade... but if he gets in before someone like Jeremy Roenick... the HHOF should bolt its doors forever and turn off the lights.

He's also been fairly solid for Sweden internationally which does play into the HHOF.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
He's also been fairly solid for Sweden internationally which does play into the HHOF.
Yeah, but "fairly solid" shouldn't cut the mustard when it comes to the HHOF. To me, those halls are reserved for the all-time greats, the best of the best, which Backstrom never was. I don't mean to sound like I'm ragging on Nicklas because I'm not. I actually really like him as a player--but his skills, peak, accomplishments and resume are simply not HOF worthy.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah, but "fairly solid" shouldn't cut the mustard when it comes to the HHOF. To me, those halls are reserved for the all-time greats, the best of the best, which Backstrom never was. I don't mean to sound like I'm ragging on Nicklas because I'm not. I actually really like him as a player--but his skills, peak, accomplishments and resume are simply not HOF worthy.

I mean, in my personal HOF Letang and Backstrom are nowhere near it, but in reality Hossa was just a first ballot with no individual awards and Doug Wilson / Kevin Lowe got in as well.

Is the argument what we feel is HHOF worthy, or is it what will actually get into the HHOF. Because Hossa is pretty clearly in the realm of Backstrom outside of the additional cups, eh?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I mean, in my personal HOF Letang and Backstrom are nowhere near it, but in reality Hossa was just a first ballot with no individual awards and Doug Wilson / Kevin Lowe got in as well.

Is the argument what we feel is HHOF worthy, or is it what will actually get into the HHOF. Because Hossa is pretty clearly in the realm of Backstrom outside of the additional cups, eh?
Oh I agree--Letang doesn't deserve the Hall either--not even close IMO. Neither does Kevin Lowe and others. But, Hossa is a different bird. On the surface Hossa might not pop-out to you as someone overly special but he kind of was:

- He was an excellent 200-foot forward who received Selke nominations 15 times over his career--15 times!

- His career numbers are very good (500+ goals and 1,100+ points)

- He was nominated for the Hart trophy 5 times

- He's broken 30+ goals 7 times and hit 40+ a couple

Hossa was an incredible player who did it all... and his defensive play is often unrecognized. I personally think Hossa deserved to make the cut--but not by a ton.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Oh I agree--Letang doesn't deserve the Hall either--not even close IMO. Neither does Kevin Lowe and others. But, Hossa is a different bird. On the surface Hossa might not pop-out to you as someone overly special but he kind of was:

- He was an excellent 200-foot forward who received Selke nominations 15 times over his career--15 times!

- His career numbers are very good (500+ goals and 1,100+ points)

- He was nominated for the Hart trophy 5 times

- He's broken 30+ goals 7 times and hit 40+ a couple

Hossa was an incredible player who did it all... and his defensive play is often unrecognized. I personally think Hossa deserved to make the cut--but not by a ton.

I mean, Backstrom is pretty much along the lines of Hossa and was arguably the 3rd best C in the league behind Crosby and Malkin for a good portion of their careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->