Nicklas Backstrom HHOF Chances?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I mean, Backstrom is pretty much along the lines of Hossa and was arguably the 3rd best C in the league behind Crosby and Malkin for a good portion of their careers.

Meh, I don't think they are similar at all. Backstrom is a setup man who was decent defensively; Hossa did it all. And I wouldn't put Backstrom in that category during his era--I think it's more like...

Crosby
Toews
Malkin
Bergeron / Stamkos
Kopitar / Tavares / Thornton
Getzlaf / Giroux / Backstrom / Seguin

... but that's just me. So, yes, I would say Backstrom was a Top-10 centerman religiously through his career, but that's not grounds for the Hall without the other goodies. Again, just my opinion.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Can you tell me why, though?

St. Louis has a Hall of fame trophy case, was an incredible playoff performer, and has a hall of fame All star team record. It’s also not a coincidence that just about all of his centers had the best years/stretches of their careers playing on his line.

I’m not one that really cares if players hit arbitrary career milestone point/goal totals.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I'm curious what Backstorm has that Letang doesn't?

Letang has been a finalist for a Norris and basically a top ten Norris finalist every year he's been healthy and a # 1 D (since Gonchar left the Pens in 09-10) aside from 17-18. He has a Conn Smythe worthy post season run and has 3 cup final appearances and 2 wins. He's within 30th all time in terms of PPG for a defenseman as well. And is basically the only consistent member of the most successful team of the cap era after Crosby and Malkin.

He's basically Ozolins with a much better Norris record.
More consistency. As you stated, Letang has not been healthy. If he could stay on the ice, his case could be a lot stronger. Backstrom has been a Steady Eddie in his career.

Reactions: wetcoast

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
He was an excellent 200-foot forward who received Selke nominations 15 times over his career--15 times!

you are counting every year he received a single vote as a nomination? that’s... odd.

also you are counting the year he was traded three times, so he received votes 13 times, not 15. which is still a very big number. but i’d be more impressed if he’d finished if highest three placements were 5, 7, and 10.

i respect hossa as a great defensive winger and he’s in my hall of fame but selke votes don’t remotely make that case for him.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
i respect hossa as a great defensive winger and he’s in my hall of fame but selke votes don’t remotely make that case for him.

It's a part of the puzzle for Hossa, as his complete game has been overlooked pretty much his entire career. Yes--the fact that he received votes consistently is relevant. However, by no means is it the reason he's in the Hall.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It's a part of the puzzle for Hossa, as his complete game has been overlooked pretty much his entire career. Yes--the fact that he received votes consistently is relevant. However, by no means is it the reason he's in the Hall.

if anything, hossa is grossly grossly underrated by selke voting.

2001: 5/62 ballots
2003: 1/62
2006: 11/124
2007: 1/141
2008: 1/133
2009: 9/133
2010: 6/133
2012: 11/148
2013: 25/179
2014: 24/137
2015: 29/157
2016: 3/150
2017: 8/165

my point is outside of three years where he was *slightly* appreciated for how good he was defensively, coinciding with him playing on a team that in those three years won two cups and went to game seven of the western finals, imo it's next to meaningless that one to eleven guys out of sixty-two to one hundred and seventy-nine threw put him on their ballot.

Phenomenaut

Apr 23, 2020
Markus Naslund Litmus test:

If a forward doesn't clearly have a better resume than Markus Naslund, they don't belong in the HHOF. Personally I put 0 stock in cup wins and Smythes, because both are only available if your team wins and that's largely out of a player's control(see: Ovi being a top ten all time playoff performer by % of total team offense yet being labelled a choker because his teams lost up until 18).

So that means, production within playoffs, production within regular season, and awards. On a personal note, I value peak > prime > longetivity, though all are valuable, and having one great year doesn't counterbalance 10 good ones.

So how does Backstrom stack up to Naslund:

We will start with the regular season:

1 year peak: Naslund has him beat with 2nd in points and 2nd in goals vs 4th and 13th
3 year peak: Naslund has him beat with 1st in points and 2nd in goals vs 3rd and 16th

Not really controversial, the whole deal with Naslund was he was one of the best in the game for 3.5 seasons, from 01-02 thru the first half of 05-06(for whatever reason his scoring fell off a cliff in the second half of 05-06, I was personally not watching because of how pissed the lockout made me, so I can't comment on that first post-lockout year).

5 year extended peak/short prime: Markus Naslund is 3rd in points between 01-06, 2nd in goals. Backstrom's best five years are from 13-17 where he is 3rd in points but 79th in goals. Naslund still has the advantage here.

7 year prime: because Backstrom has a dip in the middle of his career, it's a bit harder to evaluate his best seven year stretch. I'm not going to take the time to manually add together 08-09 to 09-10 with 12-13 to 16-17, which would be the best case scenario for him, but he's 6th or 7th in points depending on which stretch of years you use(08-09 to 14-15 he's 6th, 12-13 to 19-20 he's 7th) and a nonfactor for goals.

Naslund by comparison is still 3rd in points, 2nd in goals from 99-06.

9 year extended prime: Naslund is 3rd in goals, 6th in points from 99-08, Backstrom is 4th in points and T-50th in goals from 09-17. This is when it finally starts getting competitive, but I value goals more than assists as a rule, and I value goalscorers more than playmakers, at least for forwards. I still take Naslund.

So realistically, with Backstrom's offense on the decline, there's little argument for him in the regular season. Accumulating points on the tail end of a career is better than not doing it, but what you do during your best years is most important. Now there is a caveat here, because Backstrom produced 40% of his points with the man advantage, while Naslund produced 53% of his points on the PP. I'm not going to take the time to compare production to their peers, just something that closes the gap a little.

In the playoffs, Backstrom has an edge. Not caring too much about total points, but in rate stats:
Naslund RS vs PS: .93 vs .73(-.2)
Backstrom RS vs PS: .97 vs .83(-.14)

Both of them step down in scoring during the playoffs, Naslund moreso, but the gap was smaller than I expected. Neither are big step-up playoff performers. Note that the RS PPG here is only in years they actually made the playoffs(naslund only made the playoffs twice outside his prime, in his first year in VAN, and his final year with NYR). Naslund only has two good playoff runs, unsurprisingly during his peak, when he put up 14 in 14 in 03, and 9 points in a first round loss in 04. That's out of 6 runs. During his prime he's 2/4 showing up in the playoffs.

Backstrom, on the other hand, has been in the playoffs every year of his career except 13-14, and while he has a few stinkers, (2011, 2013, 2020) he's clearly been the better performer. But the gap between Naslund's RS and Backstrom's RS is bigger than the inverse in the PS.

As far as awards and finishes go:
Hart voting: Naslund 2, 5, 5, (11) vs Backstrom 9, 9
Art Ross: Naslund 2, 2, 4 vs Backstrom 4, 4, 6, 8, 9
Richard: Naslund 2, 5, 7, 7
Assists: Naslund 4, 8, 9 vs Backstrom 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 7
Post Season All Star: Naslund 1, 1, 1, 3 vs Backstrom 3

Furthermore, Naslund did this while being the primary focus of opposing teams, never having a quality center to play with(Brendan Morrison was not a high end player), and generally just having less help overall.

I think that given that, it's clear Markus Naslund had a better career than Backstrom has so far, and barring a resurgence, it's unlikely he'll pass Naslund when all is said and done. Being ~twentieth best center doesn't help his case in my opinion.

In my opinion, clearly beating Naslund at least over best 7 and best 9 year stretches should be a prerequisite for any forward who wasn't a serious Selke candidate. The only way around that would be a genuinely legendary step up run in the playoffs or Olympics(which neither Backstrom nor Naslund excelled at).

The hall has way too many mediocre Canadian accumulators who were just popular with media and other players, their presence should be a warning against inducting players like Backstrom.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Markus Naslund Litmus test:

If a forward doesn't clearly have a better resume than Markus Naslund, they don't belong in the HHOF. Personally I put 0 stock in cup wins and Smythes, because both are only available if your team wins and that's largely out of a player's control(see: Ovi being a top ten all time playoff performer by % of total team offense yet being labelled a choker because his teams lost up until 18).

So that means, production within playoffs, production within regular season, and awards. On a personal note, I value peak > prime > longetivity, though all are valuable, and having one great year doesn't counterbalance 10 good ones.

So how does Backstrom stack up to Naslund:

We will start with the regular season:

1 year peak: Naslund has him beat with 2nd in points and 2nd in goals vs 4th and 13th
3 year peak: Naslund has him beat with 1st in points and 2nd in goals vs 3rd and 16th

Not really controversial, the whole deal with Naslund was he was one of the best in the game for 3.5 seasons, from 01-02 thru the first half of 05-06(for whatever reason his scoring fell off a cliff in the second half of 05-06, I was personally not watching because of how pissed the lockout made me, so I can't comment on that first post-lockout year).

5 year extended peak/short prime: Markus Naslund is 3rd in points between 01-06, 2nd in goals. Backstrom's best five years are from 13-17 where he is 3rd in points but 79th in goals. Naslund still has the advantage here.

7 year prime: because Backstrom has a dip in the middle of his career, it's a bit harder to evaluate his best seven year stretch. I'm not going to take the time to manually add together 08-09 to 09-10 with 12-13 to 16-17, which would be the best case scenario for him, but he's 6th or 7th in points depending on which stretch of years you use(08-09 to 14-15 he's 6th, 12-13 to 19-20 he's 7th) and a nonfactor for goals.

Naslund by comparison is still 3rd in points, 2nd in goals from 99-06.

9 year extended prime: Naslund is 3rd in goals, 6th in points from 99-08, Backstrom is 4th in points and T-50th in goals from 09-17. This is when it finally starts getting competitive, but I value goals more than assists as a rule, and I value goalscorers more than playmakers, at least for forwards. I still take Naslund.

So realistically, with Backstrom's offense on the decline, there's little argument for him in the regular season. Accumulating points on the tail end of a career is better than not doing it, but what you do during your best years is most important. Now there is a caveat here, because Backstrom produced 40% of his points with the man advantage, while Naslund produced 53% of his points on the PP. I'm not going to take the time to compare production to their peers, just something that closes the gap a little.

In the playoffs, Backstrom has an edge. Not caring too much about total points, but in rate stats:
Naslund RS vs PS: .93 vs .73(-.2)
Backstrom RS vs PS: .97 vs .83(-.14)

Both of them step down in scoring during the playoffs, Naslund moreso, but the gap was smaller than I expected. Neither are big step-up playoff performers. Note that the RS PPG here is only in years they actually made the playoffs(naslund only made the playoffs twice outside his prime, in his first year in VAN, and his final year with NYR). Naslund only has two good playoff runs, unsurprisingly during his peak, when he put up 14 in 14 in 03, and 9 points in a first round loss in 04. That's out of 6 runs. During his prime he's 2/4 showing up in the playoffs.

Backstrom, on the other hand, has been in the playoffs every year of his career except 13-14, and while he has a few stinkers, (2011, 2013, 2020) he's clearly been the better performer. But the gap between Naslund's RS and Backstrom's RS is bigger than the inverse in the PS.

As far as awards and finishes go:
Hart voting: Naslund 2, 5, 5, (11) vs Backstrom 9, 9
Art Ross: Naslund 2, 2, 4 vs Backstrom 4, 4, 6, 8, 9
Richard: Naslund 2, 5, 7, 7
Assists: Naslund 4, 8, 9 vs Backstrom 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 7
Post Season All Star: Naslund 1, 1, 1, 3 vs Backstrom 3

Furthermore, Naslund did this while being the primary focus of opposing teams, never having a quality center to play with(Brendan Morrison was not a high end player), and generally just having less help overall.

I think that given that, it's clear Markus Naslund had a better career than Backstrom has so far, and barring a resurgence, it's unlikely he'll pass Naslund when all is said and done. Being ~twentieth best center doesn't help his case in my opinion.

In my opinion, clearly beating Naslund at least over best 7 and best 9 year stretches should be a prerequisite for any forward who wasn't a serious Selke candidate. The only way around that would be a genuinely legendary step up run in the playoffs or Olympics(which neither Backstrom nor Naslund excelled at).

The hall has way too many mediocre Canadian accumulators who were just popular with media and other players, their presence should be a warning against inducting players like Backstrom.

The Näslund example is an interesting way of looking at it, I admit.

Valuing goals more than assists is fine and all, but how relevant are goal finishes when discussing one of the games top playmakers in Bäckström? He’s not a great goal scorer but he’s averaged around 20 per season over his career. I think it probably should be mentioned when discussing his merits that he lead the NHL in assists over that 2013-17 span, just as he did between 2009-19.

Selke votes or not, Bäckström’s better overall game, his longer prime, his cup run and international contributions clearly has Näslund beat for me. It should definitely be noted how incredibly weakened Näslund’s peak years was in terms of competition, compared to Bäckström’s. There was all-time great offensive talent around for sure, but the era was distinctly taking its toll on players like Forsberg, Lindros, Kariya and Selänne, as the West Coast Express was wreaking havoc on the league.

At any rate, I think this discussion admittedly feels like comparing types of milk. But Bäckström could very likely have posted another 200 assists behind him when all is said and done, giving him numbers which would place him firmly in HHOF company. Calling it compiling I think is only valid when a player is effectively extending his welcome, Bäckström is still a great playmaker and an above average two way forward, and I already appreciate Bäckström’s contributions to the game more than I do Näslund’s.

Reactions: heartbreak

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
His career is vastly better and more consistent than Giroux though.
I slightly disagree with that. Other than the Cup, his career has been similar to Giroux--although, yes, a little more consistent. Giroux has had more extreme high-lows. But look at these guys...

Claude Giroux (2007-08 to present):
GP: 889
G: 257
A: 558
P: 815
PPG: 0.92
Seasons in Top-10 scoring: 4--(3rd, 3rd, 10th, 2nd)
All-Star Games: 6
Playoffs PPG: 0.89

Nicklas Backstrom (2007-08 to present):
GP: 956
G: 243
A: 684
P: 927
PPG: 0.97
Seasons in Top-10 scoring: 5--(9th, 4th, 8th, 6th, 4th)
All-Star Games: 1
Playoffs PPG: 0.83

... they are fairly similar. Both are better set-up men than goal scorers. Neither has won a major, individual award--although Giroux did come in 3rd in Hart voting one year--a claim Backstrom cannot make. The only difference to me is the ring on Backstrom's finger.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I slightly disagree with that. Other than the Cup, his career has been similar to Giroux--although, yes, a little more consistent. Giroux has had more extreme high-lows. But look at these guys...

... they are fairly similar. Both are better set-up men than goal scorers. Neither has won a major, individual award--although Giroux did come in 3rd in Hart voting one year--a claim Backstrom cannot make. The only difference to me is the ring on Backstrom's finger.

And when you take into account who they played with, it's pretty easy to say that Giroux has had the better career, at least by a little bit.

All-Star game selections don't mean much, but in this case, it's a really big difference that speaks to Giroux's greater star power.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown

Backstrom and Ovechkin have been past the second round of the playoffs once in their careers. Despite being on a contender just about every season. Kind of hard to fathom.

Reactions: seventieslord

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Can you tell me why, though?

Hart
Pearson
2x Ross
leader on a Cup winner
1x 100pts, 3x 90pts in a DPE
1x AS-2, 4x AS-2
1033 pts in 1134 games (.91 ppg) in a low scoring era

imo, MSL ticks every conceivable box

high peak? won the hart trophy, led the league in scoring by seven points in a very low scoring season, capped it off by leading the playoffs in assists and finishing second in points (behind his own centre, whom he helped to the conn smythe) and winning the cup. peak is as legit as it gets.

long and productive prime? over ten consecutive seasons (2004 to 2014) he finished 1st, [off year], 5th, 12th, 16th, 5th, 2nd, 18th, 1st, 19th. that's not far off from joe thornton's scoring record of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 11, 12, 13, 16 in his 2003 to 2016 prime.

won awards? hart and pearson trophies, was a hart finalist a second time (he should have won, imo), five time postseason all-star.

good in the playoffs? a cup, a finals, and two game seven losses in the third round, and was the 1st/2nd leading scorer on three of them (he was 39 and about to retire in the last one).

memorable? absolutely. people loved watching him, loved rooting for him, he played a fun fiery game, was good at both ends, and routinely did things on the ice that were brilliant.

made his linemates better? richards? conn smythe. lecavalier? rocket and two seasons in the top six. stamkos? omg a four year run where he never finished lower than second in goals and fifth in points and we all were ready to induct him as a first ballot hall of famer at the age of twenty-three.

showed he could carry the mail by himself? see: 2011 after stamkos turned into a pumpkin + playoffs, where MSL led his team to game seven of the third round and ended up third in playoff scoring. also, 2014, where he helped rookies palat and johnson finish as calder finalists and before he was traded at the deadline helped the team to the #2 seed with no stamkos, at which point they were swept in the first round by the habs (meanwhile, MSL made the finals with the rangers, leading their forwards in scoring at 38 years old).

importance to franchise? best player on a cup winner, its all-time leading scorer, played more than 1,000 games there if you count playoffs. but also...

he was far and away the main guy when the young TB core that he led realized they were something special—in the first round against washington in 2003, down 2-0 in the first playoff series he, richards, lecavalier, kubina, and boyle ever played in the NHL, and up against jagr, kolzig, gonchar, bondra, and peak/sneaky elite robert lang, MSL scores 3 points in game 3 (4-3 win), two goals including the tie-breaker that stood up as the GWG in game 4 (3-1 win), two goals including the third period GWG in game 5 (2-1 win), triple OT series winner in game 6 (2-1 win). he scored three out of four game winners, scored eight out of his team's eleven points (the entire washington team had six goals, so he outscored them all by himself), both he and tampa bay as a team were +7 in those four games, i.e., he also was never on the ice for an ES goal against (although as one of TB's main penalty killers, there's a good chance he was on the ice for one or both of washington's PP goals), and i'm pretty sure he was on the ice for literally every goal (there were two PP goals he wasn't in on, but he almost certainly would have been on the ice). they lost to the eventual champ devils in the next round, but came back the next season to win the presidents trophy and cup. if MSL going off in that washington series never happens, there might not even be a tampa bay lightning right now.​

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
imo, MSL ticks every conceivable box

high peak? won the hart trophy, led the league in scoring by seven points in a very low scoring season, capped it off by leading the playoffs in assists and finishing second in points (behind his own centre, whom he helped to the conn smythe) and winning the cup. peak is as legit as it gets.

long and productive prime? over ten consecutive seasons (2004 to 2014) he finished 1st, [off year], 5th, 12th, 16th, 5th, 2nd, 18th, 1st, 19th. that's not far off from joe thornton's scoring record of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 11, 12, 13, 16 in his 2003 to 2016 prime.

won awards? hart and pearson trophies, was a hart finalist a second time (he should have won, imo), five time postseason all-star.

good in the playoffs? a cup, a finals, and two game seven losses in the third round, and was the 1st/2nd leading scorer on three of them (he was 39 and about to retire in the last one).

memorable? absolutely. people loved watching him, loved rooting for him, he played a fun fiery game, was good at both ends, and routinely did things on the ice that were brilliant.

made his linemates better? richards? conn smythe. lecavalier? rocket and two seasons in the top six. stamkos? omg a four year run where he never finished lower than second in goals and fifth in points and we all were ready to induct him as a first ballot hall of famer at the age of twenty-three.

showed he could carry the mail by himself? see: 2011 after stamkos turned into a pumpkin + playoffs, where MSL led his team to game seven of the third round and ended up third in playoff scoring. also, 2014, where he helped rookies palat and johnson finish as calder finalists and before he was traded at the deadline helped the team to the #2 seed with no stamkos, at which point they were swept in the first round by the habs (meanwhile, MSL made the finals with the rangers, leading their forwards in scoring at 38 years old).

importance to franchise? best player on a cup winner, its all-time leading scorer, played more than 1,000 games there if you count playoffs. but also...

he was far and away the main guy when the young TB core that he led realized they were something special—in the first round against washington in 2003, down 2-0 in the first playoff series he, richards, lecavalier, kubina, and boyle ever played in the NHL, and up against jagr, kolzig, gonchar, bondra, and peak/sneaky elite robert lang, MSL scores 3 points in game 3 (4-3 win), two goals including the tie-breaker that stood up as the GWG in game 4 (3-1 win), two goals including the third period GWG in game 5 (2-1 win), triple OT series winner in game 6 (2-1 win). he scored three out of four game winners, scored eight out of his team's eleven points (the entire washington team had six goals, so he outscored them all by himself), both he and tampa bay as a team were +7 in those four games, i.e., he also was never on the ice for an ES goal against (although as one of TB's main penalty killers, there's a good chance he was on the ice for one or both of washington's PP goals), and i'm pretty sure he was on the ice for literally every goal (there were two PP goals he wasn't in on, but he almost certainly would have been on the ice). they lost to the eventual champ devils in the next round, but came back the next season to win the presidents trophy and cup. if MSL going off in that washington series never happens, there might not even be a tampa bay lightning right now.​

Plus he has the great career story too. Always told he was too small, went undrafted, and turned himself into an MVP and a Champion. You can argue he has the best "underdog" career of all time in the NHL. Ironically another great underdog story is his college teammate Tim Thomas

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

The extreme highs and lows are a slight difference.

I like Giroux alot but when looking at almost every metric regular season, playoff, international Backstrom comes out ahead even if the numbers averaged over a alrge number of games makes it look closer than it really is..

Civetty

Jan 2, 2017
It's pretty interesting though, isn't he likely to be the Swede with most points in NHL history? And he potentially wont get in to the hall of fame.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I doubt he'll eclipse Sundin's career point total (for what that's worth). And he may be inducted anyway.
Yeah, I don't think he will pass Sundin. He could if he played past his 5 years (including 20/21) of his contract, but I doubt that.

Either way, he likely will finish 2nd all time in points by a Swede, and he has a good shot at #1 all time in assists by a Swede (191 back of Lidstrom right now). Between that, plus his top-10 point finishes and great 2-way play, I'd say he just squeaks in.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
There are parallels to Alex Delvecchio's career. Now hang on, let me finish. In other words, he was a centre on a team for a long time with a much more famous and better winger. Not to mention both had a lot of years where they finished among the top scorers. You don't think of Delvecchio when you think of this and you don't with Backstrom either. Now, I think Delvecchio was better, and he is in the HHOF, but to compare Backstrom to more of a modern player does he have a chance?

Just looking at the numbers, he has a very good chance. The only problem is does he fall into the category where he is forgotten? Let's face it, the guy is underrated. But if we are looking at boxes to check off, he's in decent shape.

Stanley Cup? Check
Big contributor to that Cup? Check.
Good in the playoffs? Pretty good.
Top 10 points finishes? 4, 4, 6, 8, 9
Led the league in anything? Assists in 2015
Statistical thresholds? Will easily crack over 1,000 points.
PPG status? 0.97 at the moment.

The only thing that might hold him back is whether or not they think he just didn't have the notoriety or that he didn't get the Hart votes. To be fair Ovechkin was the one getting those votes, not him, so that factors in a bit. And someone like Luc Robitaille, who we all agree belongs, never got a single Hart vote in his career.

I guess the last thing is do you hear the words "Hall of Famer" or "great" when you say his name. You don't, but that is probably because of the underrated aspect.

Reactions: Voight

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I know that he has the stats, but his lack of finishing amongst the AS, Hart, Pearson voting hurts him for me. Sure, he's better then a Clark Gillies, but Gillies was the LW on the top line of a 4x Cup champion. He does have the fact that he was probably assisted on at least, 60% of Ovechkin's goals will help him.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Six top-10 point finishes (OK I'm cheating a little bit including this season with only 9 games played) is more than enough to ensure Backstrom will be voted into the Hall. Maybe not in his first year of eligibility, but probably no longer than his 3rd - 4th year.

Reactions: Voight

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
I looked at five years of draft around Backstrom's year (2006). HHOF usually lets in 3-4 people a year, so out of the players drafted between 2004 and 2008 we should expect around 15 HHOF entries

Here are players that are definitely in
Ovechkin Malkin Crosby Kane

Here are players that will probably be in before Backstrom
Price Toews Stamkos Karlsson Doughty

And here's Backstrom's group of players that should yield 4-6 HHOF entries (and probably more)
Quick Rask Letang Giroux Marchand Benn Subban Backstrom Carlson Rinne

Go any further and you are in Voracek/Wheeler/Mike Green territory

With each year, Backstrom's case looks better and better.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I know that he has the stats, but his lack of finishing amongst the AS, Hart, Pearson voting hurts him for me. Sure, he's better then a Clark Gillies, but Gillies was the LW on the top line of a 4x Cup champion. He does have the fact that he was probably assisted on at least, 60% of Ovechkin's goals will help him.
Gillies didn't play with Trottier and Bossy a huge amount during the dynasty years.

He rarely played with them in any of the 4 playoffs.

In the regular season, he started off playing with them a lot, but it decreased over the years until he wasnt playing with them at all.

Tonelli, Bourne, Kallur, Gilbert all played significant amounts on the top line too. And several others played some with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Moridin

Apr 8, 2007
I looked at five years of draft around Backstrom's year (2006). HHOF usually lets in 3-4 people a year, so out of the players drafted between 2004 and 2008 we should expect around 15 HHOF entries

Here are players that are definitely in
Ovechkin Malkin Crosby Kane

Here are players that will probably be in before Backstrom
Price Toews Stamkos Karlsson Doughty

And here's Backstrom's group of players that should yield 4-6 HHOF entries (and probably more)
Quick Rask Letang Giroux Marchand Benn Subban Backstrom Carlson Rinne

Go any further and you are in Voracek/Wheeler/Mike Green territory

With each year, Backstrom's case looks better and better.

While I think Bäckström is not exactly a slamdunk first ballot pick for the HHoF, I would not be surprised to see him in there. If I go buy your list there....

I have Overchkin, Malkin, Crosby, Kane, Karlsson,Stamkos and Toews as guaranteed to be in the hall.

Price, Quick, Rask, Rinne - when it comes to goalies, I have no idea.. Maybe 1 at best?
Giroux, Marchand, Doughty - Maybe, Maybe not..
Letang, Benn, Subban, Carlsson - Not even close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->