Confirmed with Link: Nick Suzuki signs 8 year contract extension (7.875M AAV)

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
On arguably the worst Habs team ever assembled young Nick Suzuki should hit the 50 point mark this season.
That's not bad
I mean... to most here it is. Tyler Toffoli is still our best point producer, on pace for 62+ point season if he didn't get hurt. And people legit rip him every GDT non-stop. So if he's not good enough at half the price of Suzuki..... you'd think he was one of the worst players in the NHL if you read every GDT

ps. I have no issue with Suzuki's contract at all

Reactions: Tyson

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I mean... to most here it is. Tyler Toffoli is still our best point producer, on pace for 62+ point season if he didn't get hurt. And people legit rip him every GDT non-stop. So if he's not good enough at half the price of Suzuki..... you'd think he was one of the worst players in the NHL if you read every GDT

ps. I have no issue with Suzuki's contract at all

That's part of the reason I generally avoid the GDT. There's so much complaining and visceral anger at players that I'm not sure how some people are even watching the game.

Pacioretty was the worst for me though. Team captain on one of the most valuable contracts in the cap era and the way some people talked about him on the way out you'd think he flipped off Mme. Beliveau.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
That's part of the reason I generally avoid the GDT. There's so much complaining and visceral anger at players that I'm not sure how some people are even watching the game.

Pacioretty was the worst for me though. Team captain on one of the most valuable contracts in the cap era and the way some people talked about him on the way out you'd think he flipped off Mme. Beliveau.

Don't even mention Patio ready around here. Total bum.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I agree, I just feel we absorbed most of the risk here. Were we worried he might be a 10m a year player in a couple of years? I like Nick, I thought the deal was a bit premature, but I think he has a chance to live up to it.
Bergy signed Suzy to a massive contract to thwart another team offering him a contract just like KK’s.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I sincerely hope you're being sarcastic and proving my point.

Nope. Totally proving your point. Couldn't wait for his lackluster ass to get shipped out. People around here don't remember what it WAS to be a Hab. We're the MONTREAL CANADIENS... should be privileged to wear that jersey. I have no time for lazy bums like Patio.

Reactions: Redux91

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

I find poor leadership can do that to fans though. They almost feed the fire and get fans to turn against the player. You see it all the time here, fans love the player and then he’s about to be a moved, a story will leak and all the focus is on the players poor attitude etc.

I prefer a leadership that leads by example and when it’s time to move on they say we thank you for your service, but we thought to improve the club it was in the best interest to make this move etc. got stories leaking of MT calling patches the worst captain in history etc, the writing was on the wall. Same thing with Subban, everyone knew MB was looking to get out of that contract at all
Costs even though he denied all the way up to and on the draft floor.

The MB era in my opinion was filled with arrogance and lack of professionalism and class. I’m confident that won’t happen anymore. The Markov/Radulov off season really really displayed it. Not only was the inability to properly judge talent on full display, Alzner over Markov etc. Markov at 50 is probably better than Alzner. The complete lack of respect for one of the greatest dmen in Habs history who wanted to negotiate in good faith without an agent, went years without a raise etc, MB when talking to the press says, if you want loyalty buy a dog in regards to Markov/radulov. Radulov signed with Dallas soon after and mb couldn’t swallow his pride to get Markov locked up. Instead, signed a worse player that he eventually needed to buy out.

Reactions: amethyst and the

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I tend to agree.

Ideally a #2 or a #1A/#1B type of combination.

In a PERFECT world he's actually RW1
Getting a real 1C and 2C over the next couple of years should be paramount and hopefully the draft helps us there, we can potentially get another ~1b C/2C as early as this year with the big 1C prize waiting to be picked 1st overall next year should we be so lucky

If we go forward with Suzuki as a TOP6 C that's all fine and dandy too as he's shown he's capable of at least getting the hang of it, but if faceoffs continue to be a problem we might have to go with his OHL teams plan of having him and someone else on the line able to play Hybrid C/Winger

As for the contract, I keep telling people in 3 to 4 years, he will most likely start to appear UNDERpaid/full value, and this universe of "is this WAY too much for suzuki" shenanigans will seem like a bizzaro world acid flashback like .."wait, people ACTUALLY thought that back then..?"

Reactions: 417

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
In a PERFECT world he's actually RW1
Getting a real 1C and 2C over the next couple of years should be paramount and hopefully the draft helps us there, we can potentially get another ~1b C/2C as early as this year with the big 1C prize waiting to be picked 1st overall next year should we be so lucky

If we go forward with Suzuki as a TOP6 C that's all fine and dandy too as he's shown he's capable of at least getting the hang of it, but if faceoffs continue to be a problem we might have to go with his OHL teams plan of having him and someone else on the line able to play Hybrid C/Winger

As for the contract, I keep telling people in 3 to 4 years, he will most likely start to appear UNDERpaid/full value, and this universe of "is this WAY too much for suzuki" shenanigans will seem like a bizzaro world acid flashback like .."wait, people ACTUALLY thought that back then..?"

People get WAY too caught up on face-off percentage (which is probably better than what the NHL site based on what other sites have). He's also clearly improving there.

The important thing is that Suzuki is a responsible two-way player in the center role. Most centers shift to wing because they're not responsible enough defensively at center to play there. Suzuki definitely isn't that (in fact, he's trending to being one of the better defensive centers in the NHL).

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad