Confirmed with Link: Nick Suzuki signs 8 year contract extension (7.875M AAV)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
On a few occasions it has been. Giving too much money to an unproven Drouin while bridging Subban come to mind. Losing Markov and Radulov and overpaying Byron. He has negotiated several good contracts but he's overpaid on others.
It happens but on the balance he’s been fairly good in that respect, that bothers me less then some of his more critical flaws.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
Gally has been relegated to the third line because of all that firepower obtained by Bergey. I can see the fans railing on Gally when his production dips below his career average. I can see Bergey trading him at the trading deadline.

I have no issue with a Gallagher trade....just a few years too late.

Reactions: BozoTheClown

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Was this contract a mistake? He's the highest paid player on the team and the highest paid player in the history of the franchise.

27 pts in 44 games and at -19 the 2nd worse +/- on the team.

Under his leadership, the team is on pace to record the worst season in franchise history. Too much too soon? Is Suzuki not the elite franchise centerman many Habs fans have been touting him to be?
The team was decimated this year, why do we keep seeing posts like this. The team is going to be junk for a couple years, so you might as well get used to lower point totals

Reactions: WeeBey and Corson27

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
TBH I wasn’t thrilled by the terms of the contract when it came out. However, judging the contract now while the team has been in free fall is not fair to Nick. The team is a disaster, but not because of him.

Reactions: rahad and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
TBH I wasn’t thrilled by the terms of the contract when it came out. However, judging the contract now while the team has been in free fall is not fair to Nick. The team is a disaster, but not because of him.
Pretty much the only player worth watching this year, maybe Lekky too......very sad indeed.
Disaster is probably the best word to describe what has happened to the habs.

Slick Nick, will need CC to find his game, in order to earn that 7.8M next year, and years after.....

Reactions: sj315 and tazsub3

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Pretty much the only player worth watching this year, maybe Lekky too......very sad indeed.
Disaster is probably the best word to describe what has happened to the habs.

Slick Nick, will need CC to find his game, in order to earn that 7.8M next year, and years after.....
I agree, I just feel we absorbed most of the risk here. Were we worried he might be a 10m a year player in a couple of years? I like Nick, I thought the deal was a bit premature, but I think he has a chance to live up to it.

Reactions: BLONG7

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The offer sheet from KK was still stinging MB, so it seems he made sure he did not lose Nick...

At the same time, MB signed Gallagher to that stupid $6.5m extension with a full NMC. I know Gally’s contributed a lot in the past and came off a team friendly deal but he couldn’t sign Nick to a lessor deal given his recent contributions and what his potential may be.

I lost the timeline. KK offer sheet was first?

Yeah, about 3 weeks earlier I think?

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
The team was decimated this year, why do we keep seeing posts like this. The team is going to be junk for a couple years, so you might as well get used to lower point totals

This Habs iteration is not a team, it's a bunch of individual players trying to get through 60 minutes of uncoordinated and disorganized sequences of play, patch-worked together, to resemble the game of hockey. As a fan, I find that trying to evaluate players including Petry, Caufield, et al. for their abilities to play hockey (a game in which players are supposed to rely on each other for success), based on their play this year, is an exercise in futility.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This Habs iteration is not a team, it's a bunch of individual players trying to get through 60 minutes of uncoordinated and disorganized sequences of play, patch-worked together, to resemble the game of hockey. As a fan, I find that trying to evaluate players including Petry, Caufield, et al. for their abilities to play hockey (a game in which players are supposed to rely on each other for success), based on their play this year, is an exercise in futility.
And yet for some reason the playoffs were fine......I know Price was a huge reason it was fine, but this team should not be as bad as they are currently showing...........Dom will probably be fired about a week or two after this break if these guys continue to operate like a bunch of solo style players....
And of course, they lost a ton of the players to injury and covid, and free agents, but seriously this is beyond bad right now.

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
And yet for some reason the playoffs were fine......I know Price was a huge reason it was fine, but this team should not be as bad as they are currently showing...........Dom will probably be fired about a week or two after this break if these guys continue to operate like a bunch of solo style players....
And of course, they lost a ton of the players to injury and covid, and free agents, but seriously this is beyond bad right now.
Agree. The playoffs were fine because they played as a team, each contributing to the others' successes, and the success of the team as a whole. I don't know when or why it went off the rails this year, anymore then why it all came together after it was 3-1 Toronto (double entendre, here :biglaugh:) in the playoffs, given the very meh season they had last year.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
If he can become a 80 point player year after year, the contract would be a steal. I don't see Suzuki reaching those totals however, unless CC develops into an elite sniper.

I really hope the Habs stop giving out these type of generous contracts going forward, including overpaying for bottom 9 players. Kent has a lot of work to do with the rights of Price, Gally, Byron, Drouin, Petry and Armia. Anderson's contract will be another one that will hurt down the road.

Move Weber back to Nashville and call it a day, for anything, even future considerations. And to think, Subban is UFA this summer. How, the years have passed.

Reactions: BozoTheClown

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
On arguably the worst Habs team ever assembled young Nick Suzuki should hit the 50 point mark this season.
That's not bad

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Yes, for sure........Bergevin once again showed us, he was in over his head, and had zero vision when it came to..............everything.
Still think 7.8M for Nick will turn out to be a good deal for both sides.

Yup, he was winging it. He had some surprisingly good trades, but his drafting was weak, and his re-signings mostly stunk. This last offseason was bad enough that it looks like sabotage. Every decision was unbelievably terrible.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The contract might look like an "overpayment" the first year or two of the deal, however as he gets older and the cap goes up, the deal will look better and better.

Reactions: 417

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The contract might look like an "overpayment" the first year or two of the deal, however as he gets older and the cap goes up, the deal will look better and better.

What's scary is that Bergevin signed it during an offseason that made clear that he is unable to evaluate players or negotiate contracts. I have faith in Suzuki but if Bergevin thought the contract was a good idea last summer then it probably wasn't.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
What's scary is that Bergevin signed it during an offseason that made clear that he is unable to evaluate players or negotiate contracts. I have faith in Suzuki but if Bergevin thought the contract was a good idea last summer then it probably wasn't.

Bergevin made some good signings on our younger players in the past. Price had a cap hit of $6.5M in his prime years, Pacioretty had a cap hit of $4.5M in his prime years and Gallagher was making $3.75M in the best years of his career. The issue with Bergevin was he'd then overpay these guys on the next contracts based on their past production and not on how they would perform in the future.

Reactions: Schwang

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad