Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The reason that he is a plus player says more about the way he is willing to play in order to stay in the lineup, he is playing a safe game to please Clode.(no more talk of the minors these days) I felt that last year during camp he played it as safe as possible in order to make the team. Kotkaniemi is doing the same thing and it's a shame, let them go, tell them to have fun out there and tell them to be as creative as possible, this team is not going anywhere this year, use it as development for the future.

KK might be playing it a bit safe to prove he can handle the defensive responsibilities, but I don't see the same with Suzuki.

Suzuki just seems to have terrific instincts which puts him in the right position most of the time. You see it in the offensive zone as well. He doesn't have a high motor, but reads the play well and knows how to use space - staying in space, using a burst only when needed.

Suzuki, while not as skilled, reminds me of Datsyuk. Just the way he moves around the ice ... if you were to compare an average shift where nothing eye popping happens. Datsyuk minus the eye-popping highlight reel.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Not against sending him to Laval personally, but i do think his play hasnt warranted extra playing time. Not sure if its due to his injury, the adapting to his extra weight, or just the mythical second year curse, but he isnt playing the same way as last year. You can blame the linemates but at the end of the day, Suzuki performed better both offensively and defensively with those same linemates before getting his promo.
Suzie did not play with lehkonen/Byron before KK injury, it was either the Domi or Thompson line.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Suzuki has made a believer out of me in this early season. His smarts alone will keep him in the league
Agreed. He wasn't great in camp last year and got off to a slow start this season after a great camp, so I was worried as well. After the first 5-6 games, he's really proven that he belongs.

Very excited to watch him progress.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
KK might be playing it a bit safe to prove he can handle the defensive responsibilities, but I don't see the same with Suzuki.

Suzuki just seems to have terrific instincts which puts him in the right position most of the time. You see it in the offensive zone as well. He doesn't have a high motor, but reads the play well and knows how to use space - staying in space, using a burst only when needed.

Suzuki, while not as skilled, reminds me of Datsyuk. Just the way he moves around the ice ... if you were to compare an average shift where nothing eye popping happens. Datsyuk minus the eye-popping highlight reel.
Really? That is lofty praise.

Reactions: Runner77

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
While you can see his smarts, Suzuki looks a bit over his head to me. Seems he feels the puck pressure too much and his skating is still meh at best. I kinda wish he was in the AHL to build confidence. He isn’t playing like a confident player.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Suzuki has made a believer out of me in this early season. His smarts alone will keep him in the league

I'm hoping he can improve his speed with time, as Gallagher has done. He's pretty strong on the puck, so I suspect he's a gym rat. That bodes well for him being able to improve his speed.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
You can't teach Suzuki's smarts on the ice, keep this kid at center and give him time at the position. I wish Clode would put Domi at wing and give him a shot as a top 6 center, hate Domi as a center right now, he just doesn't use players around him, plays like a winger..

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
You can't teach Suzuki's smarts on the ice, keep this kid at center and give him time at the position. I wish Clode would put Domi at wing and give him a shot as a top 6 center, hate Domi as a center right now, he just doesn't use players around him, plays like a winger..
Well, when you play with Armia and Byron, what do you expect ?

Reactions: Habs Icing

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Well, when you play with Armia and Byron, what do you expect ?

He had Drouin and Armia for a few games, no real difference... He is trying to do everything on his own, much more suited to be a winger in my opinion.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
While you can see his smarts, Suzuki looks a bit over his head to me. Seems he feels the puck pressure too much and his skating is still meh at best. I kinda wish he was in the AHL to build confidence. He isn’t playing like a confident player.
That's fair but that was only his 3rd time at C and he actually had a really good game. The confidence will come.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He had Drouin and Armia for a few games, no real difference... He is trying to do everything on his own, much more suited to be a winger in my opinion.
Hes a puck possession player.... you cant put him with another puck possession player like Drouin. Same reason why Crosby and Malkin dont work together.

Domi should be stapled to Gally until either KK, Poehling or Suzuki surpass him.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
For a rookie he plays with poise, hangs on to the puck and has made some real good passes. I suspect that will only improve in time.

He's a strong kid with good vision and a decent shot. Not a real fast skater and probably never will be. Not a grinder in the corners like Gallagher but much better then a guy like Drouin.

He's doing very well and his confidence is growing.

Reactions: DangerDave

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Hes a puck possession player.... you cant put him with another puck possession player like Drouin. Same reason why Crosby and Malkin dont work together.

Domi should be stapled to Gally until either KK, Poehling or Suzuki surpass him.

I like my centres to be able to dish the puck very quickly and accurately, not just as a last resort. I just don't view Domi as a centre long term and I wish the switch was made sooner than later..

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I like my centres to be able to dish the puck very quickly and accurately, not just as a last resort. I just don't view Domi as a centre long term and I wish the switch was made sooner than later..
Did you just say Domi was a bad passer because man thats some of the dumbest thing ive read all day

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Domi-Kotka-Armia
Drouin-Danault-Gallagher
Tatar-Suzuki-Byron
Lehkonen-Thompson-Cousins

Chariot-Weber
Mete-Petry
Kulak-Fleury

..thats what we should roll with. Poehling can slot in instead of Thompson once in a while. But right now, he is the weakest center. Weal could rotate with Cousins also. Same for Reilly and Kulak and Folin with Fleury.

I think Suzuki should play and stick at center. He needs the puck on his stick more often to use his superior IQ.

Jul 6, 2016
Domi-Kotka-Armia
Drouin-Danault-Gallagher
Tatar-Suzuki-Byron

Chariot-Weber
Mete-Petry
Kulak-Fleury

..thats what we should roll with. Poehling can slot in instead of Thompson once in a while. But right now, he is the weakest center. Weal could rotate with Cousins also. Same for Reilly and Kulak and Folin with Fleury.

I think Suzuki should play and stick at center. He needs the puck on his stick more often to use his superior IQ.

I like those lines. Lehkonen and Byron could be switched too. But Poehling needs to play, and play a lot.... AHL is the best solution for him right now.

I dunno in which extent Domi would accept to be placed on wing, though.

Reactions: Price4Prez

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Domi-Kotka-Armia
Drouin-Danault-Gallagher
Tatar-Suzuki-Byron

Chariot-Weber
Mete-Petry
Kulak-Fleury

I think you're right. Domi should be used on the wing. Hopefully he can be as effective. If he is, then we're going to be in really good shape up front.

Reactions: Canadienna

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Did you just say Domi was a bad passer because man thats some of the dumbest thing ive read all day

Is that what I said, reading comprehention is not a strength of yours I'm guessing..

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I would like to see Domi moved to the wing to give Suzuki or Kotkaniemi a more offensive role at C. Domi was good last year but has not looked as good this year. That and his skillset is more suited as a W IMO.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
It's only a matter of time before Domi is put on the wing. My guess is that Tatar is traded this summer, or at the deadline if we are out of the race for a playoff spot. Domi will take his spot and play with Gallagher. The four centers on the team for many years to come will be Danault, KK, Suzuki and Poehling. Alternatively, Byron is traded, waived or bought out and Tatar stays. I would prefer the latter scenario, assuming Tatar can be re-signed to a reasonable contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad