Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Suzuki and KK do have 1C and 2C quality. But I don't think we should classify Danault as a 3C. I actually think our strategy should be to create a wicket top 9 we can roll and any one of those lines can be the top line on any given night.

Kulak shows flashes of brilliance but also is prone to making dump decisions. The issue with him is not potential, it's maturity and IQ. On the Flyers 2nd goal, he let the forward get behind him in front of Price and when the shot came from the point, he tried to knock it down with his stick vs being physical up the player in front of Price.

Yeah, I envision Danault playing against the opposition's top offensive lines night in and night out, hence getting the most ice time many nights.

Byron-Danault-Lehkonen could also put up at least 40 points each.

Hopefully Kulak's decision making in terms of defensive zone coverage can improve with experience - and good coaching.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, I envision Danault playing against the opposition's top offensive lines night in and night out, hence getting the most ice time many nights.

Hopefully Kulak's decision making in terms of defensive zone coverage can improve with experience - and good coaching.

Agree on all points. Kulak did look good against the Pens. He just needs to learn how to be consistent as he matures. Possible candidate to have a prime from 27-32 range.

Reactions: 26Mats

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

The team will continue to be stuck in neutral with this approach.

Reactions: Mrb1p

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yes. Danault is a third line C, the 20 minutes madness has to end.

He can play a checking role against the top offensive linemen the opposition. If that brings him to 20 minutes a night on some nights - and no points for the opposition's top line - so be it.

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
Maybe a hot take but I think Suzuki will be a top 10C in the NHL in his career, he just does everything right
If he keeps progressing at this rate, no doubt in my eyes.
His hockey IQ is phenomenal.

Saw a post saying he should improve his skating and I kind of disagree.
Faster skating is always a good thing to have, but Suzuki is so smart he doesn't even need to. He's always in the right place at the right time because he doesn't ''overskate'' himself out of position.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
???

With Kulak on a bottom pair?? and Byron-Danault-Lehkonen as a checking line??

I think he means, in neutral until our 20 minute player can also contribute offensively.

Clearly, we’re seeing #1 duties transition from Danault to Suzuki. Suzuki led in TOI is 3 out of 5 games. He also now plays with the “top wingers”.

So far so good. Something to build on for next season.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

Faster skating is always a good thing to have, but Suzuki is so smart he doesn't even need to. He's always in the right place at the right time because he doesn't ''overskate'' himself out of position.
He didnt make it into the scoresheet, but looked outright dominant at times last night. I think this could be a big series for him if that trend continues.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We have our 1C. Time to build around him!

For as much as I like Suzuki, I think Habs fans should be careful with the "Hero" concept. Suzuki is a great piece to add on. Build around? We need to build a hockey team, this is not the Montreal Suzuki's. I rather have a strategy of rolling 3 wicket lines that are balanced and we have team friendly contracts awarded. I would hate if we have pay them like the Leafs did with Matthews, Marner, Nylander cause they were crowned.

Example: Price.

Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are on a good path. Romanov and Caufield coming here soon. Think of it as a team of youth to build on.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Danault is not a future HOFer, Danault isnt even close to these guys defensively.

Hes closer to what Samuel Pahlsson was, and how many minutes did he play ?

Hint: not 25 minutes a night.

Danault is more closer to Bob Gainey and Guy Carboneau than Pahlsson. We get the point but exaggerating your point is dumb. I would hate if you were the GM cause you probably build our team like the Leafs and trade Danault cause you think you don't need pieces like this. Offense, Defense, Grit, Size, Skating, Skill, Leadership. It's all required. Danault is a great piece and only at the beginning of his prime. You are way to negative on him cause he was playing with Gallagher and Tarar. Danault is our version of Eller. He can play on the "3rd listed line", no PP, but PK time.

Leave Danault alone. Focus on Julien. I think you are guilty of taking your frustrations with management out on Danault. There are a lot of teams that are looking for a Danault piece and have a hard time finding it.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

I agree. Thats frustrating to play against that kind of player. Just look how he is playing, he something special. The Opponent have the puck, head up and they take a look and they realize that suzuki is all the time at the right place, soThey struggling with the puck and sometimes they make a bad play (turnover etc). Thats a small simple of his game, but you can’t teach it

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Danault is not a future HOFer, Danault isnt even close to these guys defensively.

Hes closer to what Samuel Pahlsson was, and how many minutes did he play ?

Hint: not 25 minutes a night.

That's not the point. The point is a defensive player can play against the opposition's top lines night in and night out. It's not a loser mentality to do so. Don't know where you got that idea from from looking at NHL history. You need to revise your viewing of the NHL.

And hint: Danault has never averaged 25 minutes, or even 20 minutes of ice time in his career.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Danault is more closer to Bob Gainey and Guy Carboneau than Pahlsson. We get the point but exaggerating your point is dumb. I would hate if you were the GM cause you probably build our team like the Leafs and trade Danault cause you think you don't need pieces like this. Offense, Defense, Grit, Size, Skating, Skill, Leadership. It's all required. Danault is a great piece and only at the beginning of his prime. You are way to negative on him cause he was playing with Gallagher and Tarar. Danault is our version of Eller. He can play on the "3rd listed line", no PP, but PK time.

Leave Danault alone. Focus on Julien. I think you are guilty of taking your frustrations with management out on Danault. There are a lot of teams that are looking for a Danault piece and have a hard time finding it.

Please stop with the stupid arguments and the veiled insults

With that said, I recognize the value of grit, leadership, and yadda yadda. Danault brings a lot of things to a team, and yes, he's our version of Eller, coincidentally, Eller played around 17 minutes a night in POs and in the regular season. That includes PK time. Do you see where the difference lies ? Danault can play the matchup without having to play 20 minutes a night.

It just means that during the 20 minutes a night he plays, you won't outscore the opponent, thus you wont win, because the goal is to outscore the opponent, not to defend the status quo.

Heck, even first line centers dont play 20 minutes a night usually. Couturier surely does not, so why does Danault need to ?

Also it shows your ignorance when you link Danault with Gainey and Carbo while discredidting Pahlsson, who was 100% a better player than Danault is right now, in his prime years. He's probably the main reason why the Ducks won their cup and why they were so dominant the year before, aside from Nieds and Prong. With that said, its safe to say that Danault will not make the HOF, Carbo and Gainey are in there and while I did not agree with the Carbo nomination, he's still miles ahead of what Danault is and what he will be, and its fine. Would you compare the best offensive players on any given day to Gretzky and Lemieux ? Same thing.

That's not the point. The point is a defensive player can play against the opposition's top lines night in and night out. It's not a loser mentality to do so. Don't know where you got that idea from from looking at NHL history. You need to revise your viewing of the NHL.

And hint: Danault has never averaged 25 minutes, or even 20 minutes of ice time in his career.

They can, and that doesnt mean he has to play 23 minutes a night.

The loser mentality is that you won't win when Danault is out there, you will merely survive. Danault never outplayed a top center and he never will, you either expect him to go 0-0-0, to have his wingers chip in or to have him go -1 in a "controlled" loss of ice-time. Its not really how you build a contender, but its been done before (Pahlsson is my example.) He still didn't play 20 minutes a night though.

Reactions: cphabs

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
This guy is bar none our best forward. Tbh I think the only thing missing is conditioning/fitness to be able to crank at a higher gear for longer durations. When he motors he is pretty quick but he can run out of gas, which is normal for a young player in the league

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The loser mentality is that you won't win when Danault is out there, you will merely survive. Danault never outplayed a top center and he never will, you either expect him to go 0-0-0, to have his wingers chip in or to have him go -1 in a "controlled" loss of ice-time. Its not really how you build a contender, but its been done before (Pahlsson is my example.) He still didn't play 20 minutes a night though.

Ok, we're just on totally different pages. No point in discussing further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad