Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 11

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Just sad that he's one of the few to have reach the 70 milestone that we are celebrating right now. GReat for him. But a disaster for a team like ours. And people keep trying to find Timmins relevant in his drafting when he's the one responsible for that. Yeah...but he found Jake Evans in the 7th round....big f***ing deal....
Only drafted Habs player since 2001 to hit 70 points was Plekanec. Putrid drafting has really hurt this organization and if they did draft a decent player they had no clue how to develop them.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Kovalev
Koivu
Markov
Subban
Weber
Plekanec
Pacioretty

And probably some others I forgot.

These players are at least as good as what Suzuki has shown so far. Let's not be too crazy.
Price
Subban
Markov
Koivu
Max
Weber
Kovalev
Plekanec
Petry

Not exactly murderers row. Price is a HOFer. Subban was a HOF talent who we traded away. Weber is a HOFer who we got at the end. The others range from really good to mediocre.

I think the next group will be significantly better. I don’t know that any will be as good as Price (arguably the best player in the world at one time) but there are lots of guys who can be at least up around him and Subban in that list. Suzuki has been the best so far but he’s also the oldest. Right now I’d say he’s similar to Plekanec but with a much better shot. I’d put him above Plek as I don’t think he was ever as good as Nick is now. Suzuki will obviously climb that list as he continues as will others. I’d also be okay with him above Kovalev. Better two way game and more steady.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
How many more points would Nick have if CC could scored on just a few of his chances?

Can't help but like the kid,improves year after year with often little support.
I don't ask that question about a single player but about a team in general.
Suzuki would already be at 80 points if the team HIMSELF included could have buried 1/3 more of their opportunities.
Suzuki's greatest offensive attribute will always remain his ability to find THE open man and that wasn't always Caufield.
Let's not even discuss the PP.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I would agree with this now. And assuming his play stays the same or improves next year, you’ll know he’s a number one but the question of “Is Suzuki A Number One?” which has been asked by so many in the media this year will no longer be asked. Awesome year. He’s been way better than I thought he’d be.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Only drafted Habs player since 2001 to hit 70 points was Plekanec. Putrid drafting has really hurt this organization and if they did draft a decent player they had no clue how to develop them.
I think that will not be the case going forward. We’ve got four guys that I think will crack it - including Suzuki who’s done it this year - and another top pick in the way.

Lane Hutson will only help.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I don't ask that question about a single player but about a team in general.
Suzuki would already be at 80 points if the team HIMSELF included could have buried 1/3 more of their opportunities.
Suzuki's greatest offensive attribute will always remain to be his ability to find THE open man and that wasn't always Caufield.
Let's not even discuss the PP.
Ideally you would want a healthy team from the start and go form there and see what its sum would be and maneuver about from there.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I would too but that’s not a knock on Kovalev (wing vs D - a Norris winner on top).

I’ll take « 80pts without trying » (bs) vs the 30years of guys who look like they care and try really hard we keep paying to watch.

Actually I find Suzuki often looks so even tempered it looks like he tuned out when he’s in a slump - which is not the case at all.
Its easily forgotten how frustrating it was to watch Kovalev. If he wasnt so moody, he'd be a hall of famer. That said, you dont know what you have until its gone.

Reactions: Rapala

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Timmins is pretty good outside the MB era. Before MB it’s a good record. After him is better. But from 2008 to 2019 it’s a black hole.

And yep, agree that it’s great for Suzuki to get to 70 but absolutely pathetic that he’s only the third to do it in 15 years.

Timmins started out really good and the second MB came in as gm it went straight off a cliff. Really makes you wonder how much control he was welding over the draft. Either that or he just lagged behind the times.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Its easily forgotten how frustrating it was to watch Kovalev. If he wasnt so moody, he'd be a hall of famer. That said, you dont know what you have until its gone.
I'm still trying to understand how Kovalev got introduced into this thread.
I get Koivu and I get Pleks but apples to oranges doesn't even start to describe the differences between Suzuki and Kovalev.
If Suzuki had Kovalev's dangle he would never be a Hab and if Kovalev had Suzuki's drive he would never have become a Hab.

Reactions: Habssince89

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Timmins started out really good and the second MB came in as gm it went straight off a cliff. Really makes you wonder how much control he was welding over the draft. Either that or he just lagged behind the times.
I posted his record in another thread. The dropoff when MB comes onboard is astounding. Then in the later years (developed by MSL) we start seeing picks pan out again. It's crazy.

I don’t want this to hijack this thread though. This topic can be continued in the Timmins thread.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm still trying to understand how Kovalev got introduced into this thread.
I get Koivu and I get Pleks but apples to oranges doesn't even start to describe the differences between Suzuki and Kovalev.
If Suzuki had Kovalev's dangle he would never be a Hab and if Kovalev had Suzuki's drive he would never have become a Hab.
Kovalev comes up if you’re going to compare Suzuki and today’s groups vs the past. It’s a sad sack group but Kovalev is definitely among the best.

Totally agree. Frustrating player and I judge him for what he was not what he could’ve been. It’s not like he was derailed by injury. He just didn’t put in the effort. If he did, he could’ve been Guy Lafleur like. I would take Suzuki over him and probably several more coming up will pass him as well.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Price
Subban
Markov
Koivu
Max
Weber
Kovalev
Plekanec
Petry

Not exactly murderers row. Price is a HOFer. Subban was a HOF talent who we traded away. Weber is a HOFer who we got at the end. The others range from really good to mediocre.

I think the next group will be significantly better. I don’t know that any will be as good as Price (arguably the best player in the world at one time) but there are lots of guys who can be at least up around him and Subban in that list. Suzuki has been the best so far but he’s also the oldest. Right now I’d say he’s similar to Plekanec but with a much better shot. I’d put him above Plek as I don’t think he was ever as good as Nick is now. Suzuki will obviously climb that list as he continues as will others. I’d also be okay with him above Kovalev. Better two way game and more steady.
I put Koivu 2nd to Price. Tempted to put him over Price honestly.

Markov was kind of kaka in the playoffs. Subban's gained weight was one thing (he still played well enough) but he was a bit of a sideshow. It should be clearer now in hindsight to the people who wanted Bergevin dead for the trade. Price was unreal but his downs were pretty rough and taking us to the cleaners like he did when he was injured so often sours me on him a little.

Koivu was a bulldog and always brought it come spring which is truly the mark of a great player and my most valued criterion for judging a player.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I put Koivu 2nd to Price. Tempted to put him over Price honestly.

Markov was kind of kaka in the playoffs. Subban's gained weight was one thing (he still played well enough) but he was a bit of a sideshow. It should be clearer now in hindsight to the people who wanted Bergevin dead for the trade. Price was unreal but his downs were pretty rough and taking us to the cleaners like he did when he was injured so often sours me on him a little.

Koivu was a bulldog and always brought it come spring which is truly the mark of a great player and my most valued criterion for judging a player.
Price and Subban were legit superstars with Price having a HOF career. They’re the only two players we’ve had since Roy who we can say that about. And only Price will make the HOF.

I don’t know if we have anyone coming up who will get there but I’m optimistic.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
god what if we had received Bergy's first choice, Glass?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
One thing I've noticed about Suzuki and his goal scoring since the break.
Aside from the fact that he's using his shot as a weapon he's scoring more of those "tighter in" hanging around the net type of goals.
If he's going to start adding deflections to his repertoire that can be huge for his totals. Two games in a row he's found the back of the net with a deflected puck. The fact that the first one didn't count doesn't mean anything I just don't remember that skill being listed as one in his arsenal.
We've only ever heard of Gallagher having that skill.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
You STILL don't consider him a 1C..?
I think this year was definitely his most consistent year and it was nice to see. You also have to take into consideration that he won’t shoot 30% forever so the production will dip a little, compared to his last 25 games. Before that his production was similar to last year, which is still pretty good and i was appreciating his play more than i did last year.

Maybe i see a first line center different than some here.

• Wow
Reactions: nicehiss

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I think this year was definitely his most consistent year and it was nice to see. You also have to take into consideration that he won’t shoot 30% forever so the production will dip a little, compared to his last 25 games. Before that his production was similar to last year, which is still pretty good and i was appreciating his play more than i did last year.

This 30% shooting stuff you guys are on about is hilarious tho

You guys make it sound like he's at 30% for the year, which he is not
He's at 18%, which means it fluctuates 'over the course of the year'

There are 0% stretches, 40% stretches, 10% stretches, 20% stretches, and it all crunches together to give you the actual number on the year
"He's been shooting 30% since so and so, and he won't forever"
Everyone knows this..
Even the 50 goal scorers this year don't live in '30% shooting' for the year but you can damn well find stretches where they've been hitting at 30%+ clips at certain points of the year

That's why it's been so pointless reading all this 'he's lucky he's shooting 30%' stuff, its just a cop out for his detractors sorry

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Hes 14th in C scoring, he brings elite defense and he has the worst support out of everyone /Crosby.

You definition of a 1C is wrong, not everyone elses.

He doesnt have 30%, he has 18%, by the way. His shooting % is comparable to Drai and AM and much lower than Point and Reinhart, and you know what? He hangs with those guys shooting wise. Thats why his shooting % is high, not because of dumb luck. Check the goals hes scored, hes just a lethal shooter.

Furthermore, his 5 on 5 shooting percentage isnt even high at 8.8%, his PDO and Secondary assists are also low. None of that indicates luck induced performance or career year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This 30% shooting stuff you guys are on about is hilarious tho

You guys make it sound like he's at 30% for the year, which he is not
He's at 18%, which means it fluctuates 'over the course of the year'
As far as I know, I’m the only other guy to bring up his shooting percentage. And I specifically said it’s no big deal because of what you said here, over the course of the year it’s 18 percent. Maybe a little high but nothing crazy.

He won’t be as hot as he’s been in the second half but 18 percent (or close to it) is repeatable next year.

As I’ve been saying for a long time now, he needs to shoot more. I saw him on the wing in Guelph and his shot was lethal. He racked up goals. I think him being a center he’s more focused on playmaking but honestly his shot’s awesome and he should use it more.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Price
Subban
Markov
Koivu
Max
Weber
Kovalev
Plekanec
Petry

Marky is the most underrated in that list imo. On a good team he’s probably a Norris candidate a few years. Our record with him in the lineup vs without him is no coincidence, very cerebral game. I loved Subban, but imo peak Markov was a better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad