Nick Spaling

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
the correct term for Spaling is Vanilla... its a good flavor, but fans are excited by exotic ones way more... he can hold his own, but isn't a dazzling playmaker or anything. he is responsible and knowledgeable and seems to always make the correct play. He isn't going to light up a scoreboard. he wont throw crushing highlight reel hits. he will do fine in a 3rd line and Pk role.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Always liked him, and I actually have a game used stick that one of his friends gave me a couple years ago

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Anyone who gives a 2nd for Spaling should not be GM. I suspect he'll get a 4th at the deadline, maybe a 3rd if we're lucky.

The same was said about Winnik. Then a bidding war ensued thus driving the price up, and we ultimately got a 2nd and a 4th for him. If all goes well from an individual performance standpoint, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we could get a 2nd for him at the deadline.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
He's pretty much Santorelli 2.0. Has played with top talent in the past, moves up and down the lineup, can do a bit of everything as needed.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I think he can land a Winnik type return.

Depends a lot on how he does this season.

Winnik for 2nd + 4th
Glencross for 2nd + 3rd
Tlusty for 3rd + conditional 6th
Bergenheim + 7th for 3rd

Worse case we should get a 3rd.

Absolute best case we get a 2nd + another pick in the 3 to 5 round range.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The Leafs may lose a lot next season, but at least effort level won't be a concern. I don't mind watching a crappy team as long as they at least try to win every night.

I saw a few people who said I'm only going to watch 20 games this upcoming year.
I was a little taken aback, since most fans here have endorsed the build.

What I say....don't come back.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
The Leafs may lose a lot next season, but at least effort level won't be a concern. I don't mind watching a crappy team as long as they at least try to win every night.

100% agree. The effort of some of the players was utterly disgusting. The fact that anyone could build a team with so many these types of players is unbelievable.

The comments we hear about so many of our new acquisitions is their skill & compete levels. I love players that compete non-stop.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
He's pretty much Santorelli 2.0. Has played with top talent in the past, moves up and down the lineup, can do a bit of everything as needed.

Speaking of Santorelli... I wouldn't mind signing him to a 1 or 2 year deal.

If it's a 1 year deal, we can even overpay a little bit since we have the cap space and we'll still the able to flip him at the deadline.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I'd actually be okay with keeping him, unless we get a crazy return for him. Good Top 9 guy that'd be more valuable when the kids start to come up.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He's not nearly as bad as a lot of Pens fans would lead you to believe.

He's a solid bottom sixer that can play all three forward positions and play in the top six for a bit if needed. He reads plays well and is a good penalty killer.

The biggest drawback for him would be that he plays almost too safe. Maybe it's from years of playing under Trotz, but he's completely risk averse and lacks creativity because of it. This also means you won't see him throw many noteworthy hits, even though the few times he really stepped up on someone, he smoked them.

He's maybe overpaid by about 500k, but he'll be a solid role player for you guys.

His stats in the ahl would lead one to believe that creativity (offensive ability?) has never been something he's been very good at in the first place... Nor is trotz a key element in him not having any. It seems that he's one of those guys, where heart and smarts is what has gotten him to the nhl and has helped him remain here, because offensively he really doesn't belong here otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00