Speculation: Nick Schmaltz

Status
Not open for further replies.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I honestly wouldn't believe one word a GM says right now during the trade deadline. I really like BA and believe he is going to do what's best for the team in terms of being a Stanley Cup contender in the next few years. Selling high on Schmaltz and getting out of the 24.45 Million he is owed in a back loaded Chyka contract would be smart move. IMO, It would open up alot more opportunities.
I agree with that, but don't trade Schmaltz. From a team building perspective, you don't trade guys who fit the rebuild and will positively impact the locker room. Without physically shadowing Keller, Crouse, and Schmaltz, I feel like they want to be here and win here. Unless they ask out, you keep them until you can't.

I'm not down with moving Schmaltz. I'm also biased in that I've been saying we should keep him for years, while others have said trade him because he's not worth his contract. He's finally hit valuable, and now we're starting that conversation again, I'm not about it.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I agree with that, but don't trade Schmaltz. From a team building perspective, you don't trade guys who fit the rebuild and will positively impact the locker room. Without physically shadowing Keller, Crouse, and Schmaltz, I feel like they want to be here and win here. Unless they ask out, you keep them until you can't.

I'm not down with moving Schmaltz. I'm also biased in that I've been saying we should keep him for years, while others have said trade him because he's not worth his contract. He's finally hit valuable, and now we're starting that conversation again, I'm not about it.
I'd add that he'll help with the transition of the prospects to NHL by taking the focus off of them.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Seen a lot of lambert have ya? What have you seen that you don’t like?
I've watched a lot of Lambert, so I'll temper the thought here-

Lambert I honestly was really high on. If this was a year ago, I'd probably jump on that. Problem is, he has a couple of problems that have shown up. Number 1 is that he hasn't made much, if any, progress since being drafted. He's still the exact same player he was. Which is both good and bad. Problem number 2 is that if you looked up the definition of inconsistent in the dictionary, it would show Brad Lambert's picture. Everyone knows this. You fall in love with the guy, he's easy to fall in love with. His skating is superb, his puck handling is great and he has great offensive instincts. And those things, especially his skating, are easy to notice.

Now if only the guy could consistently play that like that, he'd be on the same level as a top 5 pick, it's what he was touted as at the start of his draft year. Unfortunately for him, there's been absolutely zero indication that he can consistently do that. He hasn't gotten better or more responsible defensively, though you can sometimes tell that he has tried to in his games, especially in Liiga. But he isn't the kind of player who has an eternal motor or looks engaged all the time. I'm glad he's finding his confidence in the WHL again, but it means nothing that a 19yo can score in the WHL. No matter how good his skills are. Literally by just being older, bigger, and smarter, you can be a PPG player in the CHL. It's not that hard (that's not to underscore those achievements, but I've seen it time and time again after following an OHL franchise the better part of 20 years). Lambert definitely still has those skills, so he could be special. But he hasn't shown anywhere close to the ability to take the next step. He's just small enough that he'll have trouble against NHL d-man and being outmuscled off the puck, and he just doesn't have the mentality or work ethic to be a guy like Grabner who make a career out of being fast and working hard. He needs more bulk, but more importantly he needs to show that he won't give up at the slightest sign of adversity and that he can battle and power through that.

This years WJC, last years WJC, his time in Liiga...none of these things are impressive in the slightest or point to him being an impact player at the NHL level. You can fall in love with his potential and talent all you want, results are just as important, and Lambert has none. We could have had him at the draft when we went off board with Lamoreaux and Lambert was picked one pick later. There's no way I want him in return for Schmaltz, who is what we hope Lambert becomes.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Lambert is unproven everywhere. While Kemell was lighting it up in Liiga on the same team, Lambert was struggling. Lambert moved teams to what he thought would be a more favorable situation, and because he wanted to play in the playoffs...and struggled. Lambert has struggled a lot more than he's succeeded. He had one good year as a 17yo and we all got hyped as hell for him, and ever since then he hasn't shown anywhere close to that ability again. In spurts, in a few games, here and there, like the preseason, he has, but consistently? Even over 30 games? Nope.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I've watched a lot of Lambert, so I'll temper the thought here-

Lambert I honestly was really high on. If this was a year ago, I'd probably jump on that.
Wild. I think he’s improved a lot over this time last year.
Number 1 is that he hasn't made much, if any, progress since being drafted.
I disagree strongly.
He hasn't gotten better or more responsible defensively,
True
But he isn't the kind of player who has an eternal motor or looks engaged all the time.
True
it means nothing that a 19yo can score in the WHL... It's not that hard
Absolute wild take.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Wild. I think he’s improved a lot over this time last year.

I disagree strongly.

True

True

Absolute wild take.
WHL is a great league, for development, but time and time again we've seen players who can't learn any more from playing in it absolutely dominate it. I don't put that much faith in it after D+1 or +2 years. Tons of guys who weren't even drafted have absolutely shredded the league. Even guys like Strome who were highly touted. f***, we should know all about those guys with our draft history of Perlini, Samuelsson, Merkley, Gormley, all guys who came out of the CHL highly touted. Every team has plenty of guys like that. And there's plenty of guys like Raddysh, Fox, and every other 19-20yo who dominated the CHL but could never make it to the OHL. Dominating the CHL is impressive when you're 15, 16, 17, or 18, for sure. And it's a good league and popular and great to watch guys with in NA. But that's where it ends. Not that it really matters, since Lambert also hasn't shown anything with any other league.

If this weren't Brad Lambert we were talking about would any of us care about a guy who hasn't showed up when the competition is even somewhat hard? It's not like scouts even disagree that he's wildly inconsistent, or that he hasn't shown a ton of work ethic and consistency, it's why he dropped like a freaking crater, along with his results not matching up with his skill. For sure I'd take him, and I don't think he's awful, but he's not good enough or guaranteed to be elite in the NHL or even get to a PPG, why the hell would we trade Schmaltz for him 1 for 1? Or even with him as the main package piece?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd take a generic late 1st over Lambert. I'd trust BA and the coaches if he targeted Lambert instead.

rt

May 13, 2004
WHL is a great league, for development, but time and time again we've seen players who can't learn any more from playing in it absolutely dominate it. I don't put that much faith in it after D+1 or +2 years. Tons of guys who weren't even drafted have absolutely shredded the league. Even guys like Strome who were highly touted. f***, we should know all about those guys with our draft history of Perlini, Samuelsson, Merkley, Gormley, all guys who came out of the CHL highly touted. Every team has plenty of guys like that. And there's plenty of guys like Raddysh, Fox, and every other 19-20yo who dominated the CHL but could never make it to the OHL. Dominating the CHL is impressive when you're 15, 16, 17, or 18, for sure. And it's a good league and popular and great to watch guys with in NA. But that's where it ends. Not that it really matters, since Lambert also hasn't shown anything with any other league.

If this weren't Brad Lambert we were talking about would any of us care about a guy who hasn't showed up when the competition is even somewhat hard? It's not like scouts even disagree that he's wildly inconsistent, or that he hasn't shown a ton of work ethic and consistency, it's why he dropped like a freaking crater, along with his results not matching up with his skill. For sure I'd take him, and I don't think he's awful, but he's not good enough or guaranteed to be elite in the NHL or even get to a PPG, why the hell would we trade Schmaltz for him 1 for 1? Or even with him as the main package piece?
I honestly can’t begin to argue with this. These aren’t points. You could apply this to literally any prospect. I’ll sum up; I don’t agree in any way, to any degree, with almost anything you’ve asserted here.

The parts where you said he struggled last season, and where you said he’s pretty soft and bad defensively are all true. That’s it. The rest honestly strikes me as utterly baseless.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I honestly can’t begin to argue with this. These aren’t points. You could apply this to literally any prospect. I’ll sum up; I don’t agree in any way, to any degree, with almost anything you’ve asserted here.

The parts where you said he struggled last season, and where you said he’s pretty soft and bad defensively are all true. That’s it. The rest honestly strikes me as utterly baseless.
Other prospects were in the CHL before they turned 19. If they weren't, most of them have had good or consistent production in other leagues. It's not super common to go from Liiga to the CHL, for sure. And you're right that these are prospect independent, which is why I take production in the CHL with a grain of salt, at least among 19 and 20 year olds.

Honestly I'm not even sure what your stance is on Lambert, other than you'd trade Schmaltz for him. I might agree with your stance, who knows, but I definitely don't agree that we should trade Schmaltz for him. At least not without a couple of other pieces coming back too.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Lambert reminds me of Carl hagelin, skates unbelievably well and has good skills with the puck. But low IQ. I do think Lambert has much better vision than hagelin ever did but he relies on his skill too much, the amount of times I've seen him knowingly skate himself into trouble is the reason I worry about him transitioning to the next level. Of course he's killing it in the WHL, but you could see his struggles with this in better leagues. I've always endorsed the idea of rather teaching a player to do less than teaching him to do more. But with Lambert's skill set. I believe that gets into a Carl hagelin trajectory. Which is fine, hagelin was great for stripping pucks, closing gaps and getting the puck into the offensive zone. I just wouldn't trade Schmaltz for Hagelin. I will also admit that Lambert has a higher offensive ceiling than hagelin ever did, but at the same time he might be less motivated to transition to a defensive two-way game if the offense doesn't adapt in the NHL...

rt

May 13, 2004
Other prospects were in the CHL before they turned 19. If they weren't, most of them have had good or consistent production in other leagues. It's not super common to go from Liiga to the CHL, for sure. And you're right that these are prospect independent, which is why I take production in the CHL with a grain of salt, at least among 19 and 20 year olds.

Honestly I'm not even sure what your stance is on Lambert, other than you'd trade Schmaltz for him. I might agree with your stance, who knows, but I definitely don't agree that we should trade Schmaltz for him. At least not without a couple of other pieces coming back too.
Your criteria is arbitrary and meaningless.

wbwing

Aug 28, 2014
Niederrieter just got only a 2nd. Doesn't seem like a scoring winger has much value. Another reason to keep Schmaltz.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ultimately same, but I'd still want more than just those for Schmaltz.
And yet people on this board are happy with two late first round picks for Chych. IF we trade with Washington we are more than likely getting the Bruins pick. Next year is a crap shoot as Washington might take a dive, or they might surprise with having less injuries. I just hate any deal with Washington or Pittsburgh.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Your criteria is arbitrary and meaningless.
Ok man. You keep delivering one liners and stating that I'm wrong without providing anything- evidence, thoughts, projections, stats, advanced stats, anything- to even say what your point is. It's like I'm talking with a wall. I'm gonna bow out of this conversation now, because ultimately, I don't think Lambert is anywhere good enough to fetch Schmaltz, and you...really haven't responded to that. At all. So I'm gonna keep my opinion the same- Schmaltz is a good piece who is currently a ppg player and at minimum a good top 6 winger or center, and Lambert will be lucky to reach that height, but if he does he could be better than Schmaltz.

Have a good one!

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Ok man. You keep delivering one liners and stating that I'm wrong without providing anything- evidence, thoughts, projections, stats, advanced stats, anything- to even say what your point is. It's like I'm talking with a wall. I'm gonna bow out of this conversation now, because ultimately, I don't think Lambert is anywhere good enough to fetch Schmaltz, and you...really haven't responded to that. At all. So I'm gonna keep my opinion the same- Schmaltz is a good piece who is currently a ppg player and at minimum a good top 6 winger or center, and Lambert will be lucky to reach that height, but if he does he could be better than Schmaltz.

Have a good one!
Not my argument but if you want fact based you might want to reconsider the Schmaltz as a point a game player one.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not my argument but if you want fact based you might want to reconsider the Schmaltz as a point a game player one.
He basically has been for the last two years, playing for a low scoring team. The last two years is what teams will look at. Schmaltz is probably worth more to the Coyotes than most other teams.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He basically has been for the last two years, playing for a low scoring team. The last two years is what teams will look at. Schmaltz is probably worth more to the Coyotes than most other teams.
Ppg has a distinct meaning, and he has not been. No argument on the rest.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
1677372583989.png

Reactions: MIGs Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad