Speculation: Nick Schmaltz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Go read the Rossi article out of Pittsburgh. He confirmed through multiple sources (he’s their Morgan) that BA was asking for ‘25 and ‘26 1sts for Chychrun. I don’t need you to lecture me on what I want you to believe. I don’t care what you believe. I’ve no interest in convincing you of anything. I’m not talking about my hopes and dreams. I’m talking about the best picture of reality I can piece together with the actual information that’s available to us through real sources outside of your instincts.

You can keep going with your gut. I really don’t care. The actual reporting from actual sources indicates that that the Coyotes are taking the extreme long-view approach. As evidenced by the ask out of Pittsburgh and the newly confirmed rumors (via Morgan) that Schmaltz is now available, as well.

So wish upon a star all you want, but a team going for the playoffs next season, isn’t going to be asking for picks two and three years away for their 24 year old top defensemen and their 27 year old 2nd most productive forward. Especially with rumors swirling (Friedman joined in today) that they won’t take money back. Which is supported (disconcertingly) by the Weber trade.

Adding up the real reporting from real sources produces a sum of data that sure looks an awful lot like tearing it down to the studs (Friedmans words) and planning for a very distant future (Pittsburgh ask).
I apologize if I hit a nerve. I expect GMBA to ice a competitive team while bringing in the youth and not have them be dependent on the youth.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If BA can get Lambert/late 1st value for Schmaltz jump on it.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
Looking at all of whats going on with the new stadium, development of draft picks, adoption of contracts ( ie, Weber), trades and trade rumors, limited revenue at the Mullet, etc., I’m thinking a good team that can do more than get toasted in the 1st playoff round is 5 seasons away. Maybe more. If this is correct ( and it might not be) then many of this seasons “core” players can be traded and not introduce immense risk by having been. This includes ghost, chych, keller, schmaltz, crouse, and certainly all the others that are 3rd and 4th line guys. I dont like it because I get attached to most of the players and enjoy watching them play hockey… but business reality is a different gig

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I apologize if I hit a nerve. I expect GMBA to ice a competitive team while bringing in the youth and not have them be dependent on the youth.
You’re a good poster. I was being an ass. I like your differing perspective.

If BA can get Lambert/late 1st value for Schmaltz jump on it.
I’d jump up and down if Lambert for Schmaltz happened.

Maybe @lanky was onto something when he suggested we accept less for Chychrun in a blockbuster with the jets. Heinola, Lundmark, and their ‘23 1st would be extremely underwhelming for Chychrun, but Lambert for Schmaltz would be great. Maybe they just add another 2nd?

I'm not so sure Keller would even want to be captain. Assistant captain, sure but I'm not convinced he would want to be the guy that has to talk to refs after dirty hits, or be the vocal guy in the room.

It could be a huge blow to them to lose Chychrun and Schmaltz but I think the two of them love playing in AZ enough to not ask out, especially Crouse. Maybe BA could add someone around their age range this offseason to help make up for it.
Being back Dvorak. Offer a 2nd rounder. Lol.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
You’re a good poster. I was being an ass. I like your differing perspective.
It may sound strange, but I consider myself the anti-rt. I'm overly optimistic while your posts are more even keel. Your trade proposals are often fair while mine want to rip off the other team. It's as though we are both extreme in our view point, while both of us want a successful franchise.

Reactions: Summer Rose and rt

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I’d jump up and down if Lambert for Schmaltz happened.
From a Winnipeg perspective why not? The West is wide open this year and probably next. The Jets probably have the best goaltender in the conference. The core is in their prime…and maybe nearing the end of it. They have a very realistic chance of getting out of the West. If not now, when?!?! Jets should be all-in.

EDIT: Just talked myself into a $50 DraftKings bet on Winnipeg 12:1 to win the West.

Last edited:

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
From a Winnipeg perspective why not? The West is wide open this year and probably next. The Jets probably have the best goaltender in the conference. The core is in their prime…and maybe nearing the end of it. They have a very realistic chance of getting out of the West. If not now, when?!?! Jets should be all-in.

EDIT: Just talked myself into a $50 DraftKings bet on Winnipeg 12:1 to win the West.
I love those odds. I’m riding with you.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Schmaltz has positive value. He punches above his cap hit now, as long as he is healthy. Getting away from Tocchet hockey can do wonders for your skill guys.
If u would have said this a year ago i would have said u were crazy. He has been very good this year though so u may be right.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’d rather just keep Schmaltz. A first round pick doesn’t really do it for me. And we wouldn’t get more than that anyway.
A pick in teens and a prospect is I think fair value. Two years now where he almost a PPG player.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I think both teams benefit. Schmaltz is no slouch and Winnipeg is good enough in a weak West to go deep. Lambert isn't going to help with that and has shown huge potential. At times last season he was considered a top five prospect before he ended up on a different team that wasn't a good fit at all. He had a very impressive preseason with the Jets. I don't think Winnipeg would do this but I would.

Last edited:

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
I know I'm late to the party, been putting in 13 hour days this week.

No, I will actually be mad if they move Schmaltz. Keller, Crouse, and Schmaltz is too far right now. I get why he may want to, but just f***ing no.

BA also said Chychrun is the last big piece to be moved so I'm not sure I buy it.

I honestly wouldn't believe one word a GM says right now during the trade deadline. I really like BA and believe he is going to do what's best for the team in terms of being a Stanley Cup contender in the next few years. Selling high on Schmaltz and getting out of the 24.45 Million he is owed in a back loaded Chyka contract would be smart move. IMO, It would open up alot more opportunities.

Reactions: AZviaNJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad