Speculation: Nick Schmaltz

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Peaking in value, contract ratchets up. But he wanted to stay and did everything right so if it happens this probably won't go over well.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Elliote on the Jeff Marek show today said that he’s starting to hear rumblings about Nick. Marek suggested that since the Coyotes are planning on being very lean with money over the rebuild years, his contract is not friendly to the team.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Peaking in value, contract ratchets up. But he wanted to stay and did everything right so if it happens this probably won't go over well.`
This would be our ultimate tank move. I don't know if we score more than 1 goal per game if Schmaltz is gone. I get wanting his contract off the books though. He got signed for Center money even though he's a winger.

How do they keep Crouse and Keller from walking out if they do this? Maybe they don’t care about Crouse and Keller?
Keller could be next.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Elliote on the Jeff Marek show today said that he’s starting to hear rumblings about Nick. Marek suggested that since the Coyotes are planning on being very lean with money over the rebuild years, his contract is not friendly to the team.

Dumping him just to go historically lean on cash would absolutely cause Crouse and Keller to ask out I think. You're already asking players to skate uphill for 82 games.

Reactions: ck26

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
How do they keep Crouse and Keller from walking out if they do this? Maybe they don’t care about Crouse and Keller?

If Keller wanted out, it'd hurt to lose him the way he's playing - but his contract terms are just as scary as Schmaltz' in the next few years, so if he wanted to go, the time to let him would be now.

EDIT: That said, BA says that the rebuild is 40% complete, and letting Keller go would reset us back to about 0%. So if Schmaltz is indeed either suddenly available or actually on the block, I bet you Keller is BA's first call.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If Keller wanted out, it'd hurt to lose him the way he's playing - but his contract terms are just as scary as Schmaltz' in the next few years, so if he wanted to go, the time to let him would be now.

His salary doesn't have a dramatic spike and his deal is excellent value.... which is why St Louis would probably trade a lot for him

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
His salary doesn't have a dramatic spike and his deal is excellent value.... which is why St Louis would probably trade a lot for him

It's not so much the money, it's the lack of flexibility because of the NTC/NMC.

And yes, we could get a metric assload of assets back for him if he wanted out. But hopefully he doesn't want out. Hell, he's as close to a captain as we have right now.

Reactions: Prarievarg and ck26

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I’d rather him him. I don’t know what sort of return makes me change my mind. He’s near a point per game player and relatively young.

Reactions: Prarievarg

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
For what it's worth, if Schmaltz gets traded, it's gonna have to be a hell of a haul for BA to pull the trigger. He's no dummy. He knows that he and Keller are our best offensive threat by a country mile.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Schmaltz isn't the difference on whether this team competes over the next few years. He's streaky and misses a lot of games. With the added youth coming, I'd prefer him gone especially if they get good value. He's soft and a floater. I'd rather see those minutes at top six forward go their high picks. If Keller, Crouse, Guenther and Maccelli take 4 of the top 6 forward spots on the top 3 lines (forwards not centers), that only leaves two spots. With all the youth that will compete for spots plus any vets Armstrong brings in, there will be plenty of talent at forward. Center will be where they need to focus in the offseason, not forward and we've seen Schmaltz there.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
You need good players. Good veteran players to help the team along. I worry about what this would do to Keller and Crouse going forward. I feel trading Schmaltz would cause the team to plummet.

With all the term left on his contract, the org would get flamed for this league wide and this would be one instance where I would just kinda be like "yeah they just don't have the money you can laugh" and that irks me spectacularly

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You need good players. Good veteran players to help the team along. I worry about what this would do to Keller and Crouse going forward. I feel trading Schmaltz would cause the team to plummet.

With all the term left on his contract, the org would get flamed for this league wide and this would be one instance where I would just kinda be like "yeah they just don't have the money you can laugh" and that irks me spectacularly
I just can't see this move. Too many other skilled forwards that aren't going to command the ask that BA would have.

That being said our #1 priority on ice is to finish with a top 3 pick. I'm already on record on calling the season a failure if we don't draft in the top 3.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think the important sentence in that tweet at the start of the thread is this: "His contract makes him someone the guys can see Arizona wanting to trade."

That's like a ChatGPT response to the query, "Please rephrase the following: 'I am pulling a trade rumor out of my ass based on circumstantial evidence.'"

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Also what value could we even get for Schmaltz? His contract is not as team friendly and the coyotes don't have all that much leverage since teams know they want to dump him for financial reasons. We cannot pay assets to have teams take contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad