Prospect Info: Nick Robertson Rookie Season potential...

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
This is Robertson's last year of his ELC.

His contract has already slid twice. This is his fifth year since being drafted. He's got seven points in thirty one games.

Does anyone else think Treliving isn't gonna qualify him if Robertson doesn't have a helluva rookie season this year?

The shine on Robertson is quickly wearing off. I realize he's still young, but let's face it, he's GOT to stay healthy and make an impact. Otherwise he's just another small, soft, injury prone player added to the pile.

More Nikolai Borschevsky than Martin St. Louis.

If Robertson wants to make the team he's got his work cut out for him. This isn't the training camp for a kid unless he walks on water. Knies has a roster spot to lose and everyone else is barely consequential.

So it's all eyes on Robertson to see if he can play for more than five minutes without getting hurt.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I hope he worked on his speed.

Size + speed combo he has sucks.

He also needs to get a shorter stick.

Also notice a lot of his goals typically come from centre ice or the right side of the ice. Maybe we should try him at RW as a left shot? Shooting angle is much better.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I hope he worked on his speed.

Size + speed combo he has sucks.

He also needs to get a shorter stick.

Also notice a lot of his goals typically come from centre ice or the right side of the ice. Maybe we should try him at RW as a left shot? Shooting angle is much better.
His hockey IQ is just meh.

Kids a chicken with its head cut off most of the time on the ice. And it seems like hes always a split second too late on plays.

Kinda over the kid tbh

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This is Robertson's last year of his ELC.

His contract has already slid twice. This is his fifth year since being drafted. He's got seven points in thirty one games.

Does anyone else think Treliving isn't gonna qualify him if Robertson doesn't have a helluva rookie season this year?

The shine on Robertson is quickly wearing off. I realize he's still young, but let's face it, he's GOT to stay healthy and make an impact. Otherwise he's just another small, soft, injury prone player added to the pile.

More Nikolai Borschevsky than Martin St. Louis.

If Robertson wants to make the team he's got his work cut out for him. This isn't the training camp for a kid unless he walks on water. Knies has a roster spot to lose and everyone else is barely consequential.

So it's all eyes on Robertson to see if he can play for more than five minutes without getting hurt.

there is zero chance he goes unqualified. There will be teams that would still give up an asset for Robertson. and I also can't wait for Robertson to prove a bunch of haters wrong, the kid has got a lethal shot, everything else has been shitty luck. If he gets going he can be a threat for the leafs. That game against Dallas was proof, if he's getting top 6 minutes he can be useful.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Haven't had that high of hopes for Robertson. Hope I'm wrong, but there are not many successful NHLers with his build and play style. Have a feeling he will fall into the trap of too good for the AHL, but his game just doesn't translate well enough into the NHL.

and then of course theres all the injuries hes had and he seems really injury prone.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
His hockey IQ is just meh.

Kids a chicken with its head cut off most of the time on the ice. And it seems like hes always a split second too late on plays.

Kinda over the kid tbh

It was nice for a while to see that he had energy and wanted to be involved but some of it has to be work smarter, not harder, know where to be so you're not running around like an idiot.

Reactions: IPS

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Robertson could hit 20 goals a season but it depends who he plays with and how many games he gets in.
He cannot make the team unless 1) injury hits more than 1 forward, or 2), WN is traded fir a dman.
Robertson cannot play 4th line and his defence is bad so he cannot play 3rd.

He has not proved he knows the game at this level. He still thinks like a 14 yr old. Knies proved in 7 games he knows how to play. No one doubts he will make the team.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Wouldn’t be shocked if Robertson comes into camp and looks fantastic. Lowered expectations around him (based mostly on injury history imo) could actually be a good thing for him getting going.

I still absolutely think this kid could be a real player for us

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Wouldn’t be shocked if Robertson comes into camp and looks fantastic. Lowered expectations around him (based mostly on injury history imo) could actually be a good thing for him getting going.

I still absolutely think this kid could be a real player for us
Agree with all of this.

I think a lot of people are prematurely writing this kid off.

If he can learn to work smart as much as he works hard, he’s got the potential be a very good player for us.

Good post. :thumbu:

Reactions: banks and Sypher04

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Kid’s probably coming into camp a lot stronger, excited to see him ripping that nasty shot of his again.

Attachments

• IMG_6077.jpeg
    IMG_6077.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 2

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Agree with all of this.

I think a lot of people are prematurely writing this kid off.

If he can learn to work smart as much as he works hard, he’s got the potential be a very good player for us.

Good post. :thumbu:

It really won't take long to determine whether he's being written off too quickly.

One thing you can say about Robertson is he doesn't keep you waiting long.

1694364197099.png

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nick’s posted some pictures on Instagram of his off season workouts. Looks pretty fit.

I wonder what Marty St Louis was like as a physical specimen in his early 20s. By the time he had broken out in his mid to late 20s he had a lot of time to build up that lower body strength. With a kid like Nick I don’t think you can expect someone coming out of the OHL to be physically developed. It takes time.

The other part of the equation is he has to play a style of game suited for his size. If he had his brothers size he could be another Matthew Knies and get mixed up in everything. With his frame he has to be more like Caufield and basically be opportunistic and cherry-pick.

I’ve not liked the way his spacing looks when he doesn’t have the puck. He’s always closing in on the puck carrier and chasing the play. It’s so busy. I also don’t like the way when he has the puck it feels like a mad panicked dash. His stick also feels a little long and the puck control doesn’t look great.

I’m willing to be patient and let him develop in his own time at his own pace and keep an open mind but overall I don’t think I’m a fan.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Good signs all around for him. Hopefully he gets to start with the Marlies, and really work on his confidence and dominate there.

I’d love to see him and Holmberg together, along with a larger RW. Holmberg showed a lot of promise last year, and would have had more points with the big club, if his line mates had any finishing ability.

Robertson can finish. Develop some chemistry on the Marlies and move up as a more offensive 3rd line.

Reactions: weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Good signs all around for him. Hopefully he gets to start with the Marlies, and really work on his confidence and dominate there.

I’d love to see him and Holmberg together, along with a larger RW. Holmberg showed a lot of promise last year, and would have had more points with the big club, if his line mates had any finishing ability.

Robertson can finish. Develop some chemistry on the Marlies and move up as a more offensive 3rd line.

I'm actually going to be watching Holmberg closely in camp because if he looks ready, I think he can add some needed offensive depth.

Reactions: Sypher04

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
I'm actually going to be watching Holmberg closely in camp because if he looks ready, I think he can add some needed offensive depth.
Liked Holmbergs game last year. Right now, he has a better chance at making the team than Robertson. He looks ready

Last edited:
Reactions: weems

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I really like Holmberg too… but I think he’s still waivers exempt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad