Player Discussion Nick Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
We've yet to see that player who rang up over 200 hits a season in his first couple years. He would go out and have nights of 7-8-9 hits a game. I'd like to know what happened to him, because he's too young to have already lost that fire.

reporter asking about Ritchie game yesterday and his fit in the series (vs Kuhlman for example). I did miss it....

Cassidy response

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Kase Krejci Coyle
Debrusk Kuhlman Bjork
Wagner Kuraly Nordstrom

this is what you suggest?

Actually how about just going with Studnicka as 3C? I’d be down for that.

maybe if you want to get Ritchie in you go Kuraly 3C, Wagner 4C, Ritchie 4th line. I think those guys could get him going in that role

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If I take a look at this Ritchie goal (against Bruins) a few years ago

He looks like he has some zip in his skating

Did he all of a sudden get fatter/slower? I have not seen him skate like the examples below (as a Bruin)

and he has to do more of these things (maybe just dial it a tad down though)... not sure due to the suspensions, he is holding back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxC3o2vw1b0

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Did he all of a sudden get fatter/slower? I have not seen him skate like the examples below (as a Bruin)
Was it ever confirmed why he missed so much time in training camp? I know a ton speculated he showed up out of shape but I don't know if that's just because he's a bigger guy.

Reactions: rocketdan9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Was it ever confirmed why he missed so much time in training camp? I know a ton speculated he showed up out of shape but I don't know if that's just because he's a bigger guy.

Ppl were speculating that he was out of shape loooooong before summer camp

Milbury Basically fat shamed him like 2 min into his bruins tenure lol

I do think a lot of his lack of speed stems from learning the system. Like I said when we got him he’s basically a great white shark, kinda will just float along and lull you to sleep then bam pure explosion (huge hit, fight, goal, something). He doesn’t strike me as a Bergeron type hockey IQ guy just from looking at him. Probably needs plenty of time to get comfortable playing here. Has to be much different than the shit show he came from. I’d have him acclimate on the 4th line personally. Maybe the 3rd with the right mix of players (not sure what we have is it)

Reactions: rocketdan9

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

could be

he may lack discipline, satisfied with his current contract.

From the clips I have seen, I know he has much more to give. Lay out nasty checks that could injure someone. We don't need him to do that, but a notch below would really help. Skate harder, finish checks, wear down the Ds

He could also be instructed not to do this and get out of position

I think it may not be a bad idea to try him on the 4th line. Kuraly and Nordstrom can raise his intensity. Less pressure to produce. If he gets out of position due finishing checks, can get bailed out

Wagner Coyle Bjork
Ritchie Kuraly Nordstrom

Reactions: Fenian24

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
he just looks like a meathead. Nothing wrong with that, just give him some time and he’ll eventually figure everything out and be in the play more often...hopefully eating people

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The only positive I'm noticing from him is along the boards, which makes sense given his size. When I talked to Anaheim fans they said he was a good passer but I haven't seen any of that yet.

I originally wanted him on the 4th, but that line is buzzing right now, I don't want to split them up. Honestly just prefer him out of the line-up if he doesn't fit on the 3rd.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
The only positive I'm noticing from him is along the boards, which makes sense given his size. When I talked to Anaheim fans they said he was a good passer but I haven't seen any of that yet.

I originally wanted him on the 4th, but that line is buzzing right now, I don't want to split them up. Honestly just prefer him out of the line-up if he doesn't fit on the 3rd.

I think they should consider

3rd line is struggling also. We have seen Wagner play with Coyle before. And it was good. Both are gritty along the boards and can extend possession on the offensive end

Kuraly and Nordstrom can bring out more intensity out of Ritchie. Ritchie can stop overthinking and play looser/simpler game.

At this point I just want him to try to emulate Lucic. Go head first as fast as he can at the Canes Ds and finish multiple checks. Wear them down. Make them make mistakes on dump outs. Crush Dougie Hamilton

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Agreed, make things as simple as possible for him. He’s a guy who can make a difference playing a simple game

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
IMO, it's harder for him to rack up hits partly because guys go out of their way to avoid being hit by him. When he does get someone lined up, it is usually heavy into the boards.

In his first game, he injured McDonagh with a hit and in game 1 vs. Carolina he absolutely crushed Edmunson into the boards.

I would not be surprised at all if that hit was what actually knocked Edmunson out of game 2 as the hit was heavy and Edmunson yelled out as he went down like he was shot!

It was right before a commercial break, and it was not shown on replay but Edmunson didn't play today after getting a goal and looking great in game 1. For years we have wanted a big heavy guy to wear down opposing D with heavy hits... would have absolutely loved to have had him vs. St. Louis last year.

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Picked Ritchie to score last night and he let me down. He had the lowest 5v5 TOI on the team and was 2md lowest in game 1. Clearly he the coaching staff doesn't have much confidence in him, so why are we continuing to roll his out vs see if someone else will click?

Or right "He ThRoWs HiTs".....funny though, its tough to hit guys when you spend 85% of the game on the bench

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Picked Ritchie to score last night and he let me down. He had the lowest 5v5 TOI on the team and was 2md lowest in game 1. Clearly he the coaching staff doesn't have much confidence in him, so why are we continuing to roll his out vs see if someone else will click?

Or right "He ThRoWs HiTs".....funny though, its tough to hit guys when you spend 85% of the game on the bench

Ritchie on bench improves the bruins D.

Reactions: LSCII

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Yes, but again: However good someone is in that role, you can't lay it all on one guy. You need team wide toughness, meaness and intimidation (yes).

They had that in spades during the Chiarelli era, and nothing of the sort under Sweeney & Neely. Which, again, mystifies me.

They get beat up and run down by the Blues and Lightening. They would lose to either at this point.

Nick Ritchie is not the answer. One guy?

Jesus.

I'm with you here, one guy can't do it alone but no guy is the chaos we saw in the SCF .

Like you,I do sorely miss the 2011 Bruins that would take no crap from any team and it 's shameful to see the Bruins getting trucked by Tampa, they're not even a big team . When I see rats like Johnson, Point and Paquette punking it up and nobody has a response it kills me.

Last edited:
Reactions: GordonHowe

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I'm with you here, one guy can't do it alone but no guy is the chaos we saw in the SCF .

Like you,I do sorely miss the 2011 Bruins that would take no crap from any team and it 's shameful to see the Bruins getting trucked by Tampa, they're not even a big team . When I see rats like Johnson, Point and Paquette punking it up and nobody has a response it kills me.
Frederic - our tough guy in the AHL this year, can skate, likes to hit and has decent hands.

Last edited:

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
He’s not playing great but hardly the problem. I thought he looked better with Bjork on the other wing than he did last night with Kuhlman.

I think with more play he’ll speed his game up a bit more and he’ll help us out more with heavier teams. I’d definitely like to see him play more physical at times but he’s the best option we have for that spot.

Bruce isn’t playing Senyshyn or Freddy unless a few guys get hurt. He’s not playing Studnicka anywhere but center. Who’s left Blidh? I’d rather Ritchie.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
Would love to see.

Marchand Bergeron pasta
Debrusk krejci kase
Bjork Coyle Stud
4th

Stud is ready and could be a monster with Coyle. Also very smart 2 way player.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Frederic - our tough guy in the AHL this year, can skate, likes to hit and has decent hands.
Everybody b****ing about Ritchie should be thrilled with Frederic. Better skater, better hockey IQ, more intense and physical and an equal if not better fighter. The people who want kuhlman in over Ritchie will hate Frederic just as much but it will be because he is "undisciplined".

Frederic should have been on this team in February, Cassidy can fix that now by putting him in either in place of Kuhlman or Ritchie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad