Player Discussion Nick Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
He had time in between his coming here and now to address the speed issue with the Covid shutdown. That is almost as long as an off season. He has to find another gear to be a useful player and add to his forechecking by using his size and laying a body and not chasing and missing guys.

And I guess, no expert, he didn't do it. This is what I'm talking about.

If you can't get yourself together with this group, you can't get yourself together. I'm NOT pulling for the guy to play poorly. But if he's uncommitted, or unwilling for any reason,

See ya.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
And I guess, no expert, he didn't do it. This is what I'm talking about.

If you can't get yourself together with this group, you can't get yourself together. I'm NOT pulling for the guy to play poorly. But if he's uncommitted, or unwilling for any reason,

See ya.
I agree and we were warned. I am rooting for him or someone like him to take up the role Backes played. We need a player like that. I am disappointed he has not taken it yet.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The only one of these that really requires "strength" is hitting. Studnicka's defense is above average for his age and he brings energy to the line with his skating/playmaking. He's got a good enough stick and high enough IQ to win board battles where he's not drastically outmatched by size and strength.

I actually don't know, relataive to JS. I'm sure he needs to add strengh and mass. I'd be happy to wait until next season to see what he brings.

But these guys, some of them, even when lacking W or Y, can really bring the X factor as unknown quantities, if see what I mean. I think Jack could do that.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I liked him vs. WSH but he's looking pretty bad through these last 5 periods. Pastrnak injury complicates things for lineup changes though.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Are you guys really this dense that you need to try to blame Ritchie as your Whipping Boy for everything? DeBrusk is constantly with our best playmaker and can't do finish (between streaks). DeBrusk was -2 on the night, but damned Ritchie was even --what a bum! Our power play actually scored seconds after debrusk was replaced by Ritchie. I'm just so infuriated with JD, but all we will read on here is about how Ritchie doesn't "look like he cares" based on his facial expressions. What a bunch of bullshit.

Also, on a side note, Kuhlman has a career 2% shooting percentage as an NHL player (Ritchie is around 11%). Ritchie also has a game 7 series winning goal on his resume, but yeah.... let's hear more about shit players like Kuhlman etc.

Some of you are obviously desperate for a whipping boy, but yet guys like DeBrusk and Bjork don't really need to finish (when playing with our best Cs) because they are prettier skaters.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I blame pro scouting for thinking he was a fit for Cassidy's system. Doesn't have the legs for it.

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
Are you guys really this dense that you need to try to blame Ritchie as your Whipping Boy for everything? DeBrusk is constantly with our best playmaker and can't do finish (between streaks). DeBrusk was -2 on the night, but damned Ritchie was even --what a bum! Our power play actually scored seconds after debrusk was replaced by Ritchie. I'm just so infuriated with JD, but all we will read on here is about how Ritchie doesn't "look like he cares" based on his facial expressions. What a bunch of bullshit.

Also, on a side note, Kuhlman has a career 2% shooting percentage as an NHL player (Ritchie is around 11%). Ritchie also has a game 7 series winning goal on his resume, but yeah.... let's hear more about shit players like Kuhlman etc.

Some of you are obviously desperate for a whipping boy, but yet guys like DeBrusk and Bjork don't really need to finish (when playing with our best Cs) because they are prettier skaters.
You have a point. However give me the guy who is hustling and making things happen over a floater. Jake will capitalize matter of time. Ritchie isn’t doing anything. So I think its fair to be upset with his play thus far.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
His lack of intensity is infuriating. He can do some real good work when his motor is running hot. He's got the physical attributes to be a playoff warrior. I want to see more compete out of this kid.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
His lack of intensity is infuriating. He can do some real good work when his motor is running hot. He's got the physical attributes to be a playoff warrior. I want to see more compete out of this kid.

We've yet to see that player who rang up over 200 hits a season in his first couple years. He would go out and have nights of 7-8-9 hits a game. I'd like to know what happened to him, because he's too young to have already lost that fire.

Reactions: PB37

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Seriously tho, I understand people complaining about his skating. I understand people wishing he showed more intensity. But he's not nearly as bad as some posters are trying to make him out to be. I actually thought he did more good than bad tonight.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I liked him vs. WSH but he's looking pretty bad through these last 5 periods. Pastrnak injury complicates things for lineup changes though.

Washington is big and not the quickest. Ritchie would also do ok vs CBJ and Blues

But not a good fit vs Canes. Just like how Backes was a poor fit against the Leafs last season playoffs

Reactions: Trap Jesus

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Seriously tho, I understand people complaining about his skating. I understand people wishing he showed more intensity. But he's not nearly as bad as some posters are trying to make him out to be. I actually thought he did more good than bad tonight.

But thats just it

the skating alone makes a difference in a series like this

Chara is also struggling but he is a D, so he get could by

Ritchie is a sec too late forechecking/pressuring the Ds. Whenever he receives a pass mid ice, someone is riding his back.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

this is a factual post and not an opinion post, just for the record y’all

It’s haggs level BS from them

Root

Feb 22, 2010
But thats just it

the skating alone makes a difference in a series like this

Chara is also struggling but he is a D, so he get could by

Ritchie is a sec too late forechecking/pressuring the Ds. Whenever he receives a pass mid ice, someone is riding his back.

I saw Ritchie win some battles along the boards and behind the net with his forechecking/pressuring. He kept plays alive/extended zone time.

Again, I'm not saying the guy has been great or even good, but some of the complaints aren't just.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad