Player Discussion Nick Ritchie Appreciation Thread

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
AAV 1.533 per Friedmann.

He held out for that???????
No kidding. Murray is the best in the league at drafting and developing IMO and then also the best at contract talks. He always has a plan B, C and D. Basically when you look at all the really decent/good forwards he's moved out over the years, I always think it's gonna bite him in the butt however it never seems to because he's always got 3 or 4 guys ready to come up from the farm. It's pretty amazing really. He holds all the cards because he can replace virtually all of the team at any given point with a guy who's ready. He has his core and everyone else is interchangeable. Simply brilliant. I don't think he gets the recognition he's deserved for so many solid years. Definitely a top 4 GM for the last decade IMO.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Holds out and this is the contract he signs :huh:

I think the Ducks looked for 2 years, Nick for longer. Now they settled at 3 years. The 3rd year is somehow an indicaton for it. I'm still surprised it is that low. Strange to me, the highes paid year is a possible lockout year. Quite some risk for Ritchie. Only Fowler and Lindholm have structures that represent that year.

I'm happy Nick is back, since I have a soft spot for him. He is what we need.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I hope he is in a better shape than he was, but his shape was never really the main disadvantage for him, I think. I hope he now will be able to create some plays, like even Comtois is doing.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Goal (game winner) and an assist tonight, 6 points in his last 6 games. Took awhile, but the kid looks like he is finally starting to produce consistently

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Yeah, he hasn't had a break out per se, but little by little Nick's been slowly putting it together. I'm glad Murray showed patience with him, it's starting to pay off. I still think he has another level or two to reach if/when he starts looking to shoot more. He has a nice heavy wrister, he just doesn't use it much.

Reactions: Doothpick

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
He looks a little quicker this year which is a huge positive. Still doesnt make many hockey plays or win battles along the board but he overall a better player when playing faster. I lovd the physical presence and dont mind him too much out there but would still like to see more playmaking.

Reactions: Doothpick

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Some of us have been saying it for a long time now; people were writing off Ritchie way too quickly. I was very worried, and honestly expecting, Murray was going to trade him this offseason. Glad he didn't. He may never be a Lucic type player, but even if he stays the player he's been this season; those type of players have a great deal of value.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I wouldn't worry about his playmaking, as long as he keeps scoring goals & being physical he's doing his job. Would be ok with him turning into a 25 goal threat that gets only like 20 assists but also plays the physical role & depended on to back up teammates who get cheap shotted like what Manson does (when Manson layed out Giordano flat that one year after he hit Fowler).

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
On that second goal tonight I like how he looked to take it to the net and then passed to Getz before the puck came back to him and he scored. That's what I mean by I want to see more playmaking. In the past he probably wouldve shot it immediately from a bad angle and deep. Good stuff Nick.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Some of us have been saying it for a long time now; people were writing off Ritchie way too quickly. I was very worried, and honestly expecting, Murray was going to trade him this offseason. Glad he didn't. He may never be a Lucic type player, but even if he stays the player he's been this season; those type of players have a great deal of value.
It was rather stupid that it seemed some people thought just letting a 22 year old power forward walk who had been walking on his skating and fitness all off-season was the correct way forward.

Too much immediate results needed for prospects these days.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Came here to post that Ritchie is making me eat crow right now. I've always been critical of his conditioning and IQ but he has really worked on his game in the offseason

Reactions: Magnus the Duck

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I'll believe it when he's kept this up fairly consistently for the rest of the season. It wouldn't be the first time he's appeared to have picked it up for a few games and then disappears faster than a fart in the Sahara.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I'll believe it when he's kept this up fairly consistently for the rest of the season. It wouldn't be the first time he's appeared to have picked it up for a few games and then disappears faster than a fart in the Sahara.
That's fair. I think the Ritchie-Rico-Kase line is pretty streaky in general though, which may be a result of Henrique's tendency to run hot/cold offensively... Idk. I'd like to see them with Getzlaf for a stretch. Go with Nick-Getz-Kase and maybe Raks-Rico-Silf or something like that.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The difference to me is this year he looks faster and quicker out there. Everything comes easier when you are faster and quicker. That was exactly why in the past I didnt have much hope for him because I thought he was so slow he was a liability winning and controlling pucks.

Hopefully he keeps working on his speed because his upside will keep going up with the quicker he gets.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I think that describes the majority of our forward group with only a few exceptions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad